What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe people think a tassie team is a good idea. The financial aspect is one thing, but what you've listed above makes it clear cut for me
Really? I'd much, much, much rather live in Tasi than the Gold Coast. Not saying a team is a good idea but give me Tasi over the Gold Coast anyday.

Richmond have given false hope to a lot of clubs and their supporters(maybe even club staff) who think they’re closer to a flag than they really are.

If Bontempelli averaged 27+ touches a game, he'd be the best player in the AFL. Every time he touches the pill, something happens. Claims of being overrated are silly, he's more underrated than overrated.

I love watching him play too, but Martin and Dangerfield find more of it on a more consistent basis and impart just as much brilliance with every touch.

I love watching him play too, but Martin and Dangerfield find more of it on a more consistent basis and impart just as much brilliance with every touch.
If the three were all provided with the footy 30 times in a game against the same opposition, I reckon Dusty comes out on top with Bont 2nd and Dangerfield 3rd. Bontempelli's impact per possession is top of the line.

If Bontempelli averaged 27+ touches a game, he'd be the best player in the AFL. Every time he touches the pill, something happens. Claims of being overrated are silly, he's more underrated than overrated.

I think people forget how young he is.

He's still a month away from his 22nd birthday, meaning we're probably still a couple of years away from him even entering what should be his prime as a player (ages 25-29, 2020-2024).

I'm not sure how much improvement he has left, given he's already extremely good, but it'll be fun to see. Can't hate his talent.

After watching the replay of the 98 grand final I'm glad with have a rule that pays a free kick for deliberate out of bounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dangerfield and Gray are the best genuine dual position players in the game.

Can play FF from siren to siren and kick five goals from a dozen touches. Can also kick five and/or have thirty touches from the middle. No other mid, including Martin, can do it, they rely on spells forward or middle to catch the other team out, rather than a fixed position middle or forward all day.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
They've also given false hope to clubs that are lead by a coach who's achieved **** all in his ~5 years at the helm.

Or perhaps it gives more credence to the idea that you don't just live and die by your head coach, but that the coaching team and players have just as much say in your fortunes as well.

Following AFL football is a waste of time. There are better things to do in life. Think of all time you spend travelling to and from games, standing in queues before the game and at half time, watching overpaid gorillas chase a piece of leather, hurling abuse at the umpires, cursing the opposition guns, cursing your own team's duds, shuffling slowly out of the ground after the final siren, listening to shitty talkback radio, listening to shitty radio commercials, watching godawful TV panel shows, reading insipid newspaper articles, pre-season fluff pieces about Jobe & Timmy Watson, listening to Channel 7's crappy commentary, Bruce and Dennis tossing each other off and swearing at your TV screen like a crazy man, daydreaming of your team winning the Grand Final, posting mindless crap on Big Footy, arguing with some imbecile over who was better: Tredrea or Riewoldt? Hird or Buckley? .... and for what? Was your life improved? Did it help you achieve your goals? Did you wake up and find yourself living in a Toorak mansion with a beautiful wife and $10,000,000 in your bank account? All it really did was temporarily distract you from the miserable reality that your life sucks.

AFL football is like heroin: it's heavy users suffer through long periods of drawn-out anticipation and irritation, the occasional fleeting high, interspersed with a zombified, stupefied state of existence, their body and mind slowly rotting as the years tick by, the world passing them by.

Enjoy your AFL, schmucks. Here's some highlights of Peter Daicos brought to you by McDonalds cheeseburgers and Carlton United Breweries.
Still the GOAT BigFooty post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hated those rules they created. Supergoals and play on off the post, no thanks.

Whether you/we like them or not my guess is those sort of changes are ultimately inevitable. There will be a four point line in basketball, or they'll raise the basket so it's harder to shoot/dunk. Baseball, golf and other slow games will need to speed up somehow. Footy will go the same way to create more excitement/spectacle or to speed up.

As more sports become essentially businesses (if they aren't already) tradition will be lost. Sometimes that'll be positive, sometimes negative. But whether it takes 10 years or 100 the game will be manifestly different to the one we know now.

I wished the main Saturday and Sunday game still started at 2:10 not 3 o'clock. So when you watch on TV you can get the post match Analysis not just cut straight to the news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why the weekend news needs a big ratings-grabbing lead-in anyway. I mean, don't people take a break from the news on weekends?

Richmond have given false hope to a lot of clubs and their supporters(maybe even club staff) who think they’re closer to a flag than they really are.

Could've said exactly the same thing about the Doggies last year.

I see it differently. The Tigers have taken the hope away from all clubs. Who can realistically stop this juggernaut we call Richmond FC?
Considering most people see Richmond’s 2017 as a flash in the pan, naming teams who can knock them off in 2018 would mean this conversation is entering popular opinion.

Considering most people see Richmond’s 2017 as a flash in the pan, naming teams who can knock them off in 2018 would mean this conversation is entering popular opinion.
Fair enough, we don't want that however I think the Tigers will be flashing the pan for a while yet. It's a deep pan at Tigerland.

Fair enough, we don't want that however I think the Tigers will be flashing the pan for a while yet. It's a deep pan at Tigerland.
I think you’re confusing unpopular opinion with biased opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back