What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had a drink every time someone said 'contracted player' I would have been drunk by 10am. Should be a media embargo on the whole thing until the end then clubs just issue a press release telling us what has happened.

Then you'd just have Jon Ralph and Jake Niall etc. hanging around the toilets and catering claiming they got a tip from a the guy who delivers the sandwiches that he overheard in the mens that Schache was a done deal to Hawthorn for Hodge...

Then you'd just have Jon Ralph and Jake Niall etc. hanging around the toilets and catering claiming they got a tip from a the guy who delivers the sandwiches that he overheard in the mens that Schache was a done deal to Hawthorn for Hodge...

By media embargo I meant the media aren't even allowed to talk about it at all. No trade talk until the deals are done. But this would be unpopular because some people thrive on all the gossip and speculation.

By media embargo I meant the media aren't even allowed to talk about it at all. No trade talk until the deals are done. But this would be unpopular because some people thrive on all the gossip and speculation.

Good luck trying to ban the media from talking about something. This ain't North Korea.

Good luck trying to ban the media from talking about something. This ain't North Korea.

No not North Korea thank goodness. Was joking, I just end up switching off the radio.

They did used to have media bans of sorts though once upon a time. When there was an election there was a ban in the electronic media for 24 hours before the election so people could get their heads clear before having to vote, may have just been on political advertising though I think. And there was a time when reports from the football were not discussed before they went before the tribunal so as not to have trial by media before the actual hearing.

After recent events, I can't understand why the team that finishes on the bottom of the ladder gets the No.1 draft pick. Why are we rewarding failure? Surely the Premiership team should be able to offer the brightest young star a chance at the ultimate success. Maybe it's just me... thoughts?

After recent events, I can't understand why the team that finishes on the bottom of the ladder gets the No.1 draft pick. Why are we rewarding failure? Surely the Premiership team should be able to offer the brightest young star a chance at the ultimate success. Maybe it's just me... thoughts?
You weren't saying this back in 04

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond football club has failed Dustin Martin. Dropped out of school
ridiculously young, clearly thick as they come; I personally believe Richmond upon drafting him should have taken it upon themselves to somewhat educate him instead of continue to slip through the cracks just because he's been a bull at sports his whole life.

Well it would only be fair to apply this rule retrospectively back to when the draft was first implemented. That was 1986. Hawthorn has won eight premierships in that time. Therefore we get the first eight picks.

Yes, let's give the best team in the competition the best young player in the draft. sounds like it will be a very competitive competition in 10 years time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, let's give the best team in the competition the best young player in the draft. sounds like it will be a very competitive competition in 10 years time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's kind of the point. It's not going to happen apparently, so never mind.

I reckon high draft picks are the most overrated things in footy. I'd say none of the last 10 no. 1 picks have been the best of there draft bar maybe McGrath. In fact, most of them wouldn't even be in top 5 of there draft. There have been many great players to be drafted past the first round and even the rookie draft, and I don't believe there is really that big of a skill gap between the first pick and say the 20th pick. Really, there is not much difference between pick 1, pick 5 or even pick 20. Its about how your club can develop those players they draft and turn them into stars.

I reckon high draft picks are the most overrated things in footy. I'd say none of the last 10 no. 1 picks have been the best of there draft bar maybe McGrath. In fact, most of them wouldn't even be in top 5 of there draft. There have been many great players to be drafted past the first round and even the rookie draft, and I don't believe there is really that big of a skill gap between the first pick and say the 20th pick. Really, there is not much difference between pick 1, pick 5 or even pick 20. Its about how your club can develop those players they draft and turn them into stars.
Aa hah! The wicked web we weave. You have nailed it Tiger. Allow the other teams to believe that their earlier draft picks will be better while secretly developing our later picks to become Premiership stars. Rioli is a good example. The Richmond way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back