What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it all goes ahead, the shuffle of Lever in, Watts out, and T. McDonald permanently forward doesn't really improve the Demons at all.

Same goes for Motlop in, Cameron and Lever out in Adelaide.

The Demons should be the ones chasing Motlop, as he would actually add a point of difference over what they already have, and they're already adequately stocked for good young tall backs too (T. McDonald, O. McDonald, S. Frost).

If we manage to get Gibbs and Motlop while losing Cameron and Lever and ending up with an extra first round pick I think we improve.

I like the SEN Jack Links jerky ads.
I said it.
Come at me.
Wow. Add that to the fact you support tottenham and richmond and you really are the worst person.

If it all goes ahead, the shuffle of Lever in, Watts out, and T. McDonald permanently forward doesn't really improve the Demons at all.

Same goes for Motlop in, Cameron and Lever out in Adelaide.

The Demons should be the ones chasing Motlop, as he would actually add a point of difference over what they already have, and they're already adequately stocked for good young tall backs too (T. McDonald, O. McDonald, S. Frost).

If McDonald holds his form from last year it’s automatically an upgrade on our forward setup.

4. Chasing success. We are all working together for success, but those guys over there look closer, so **** you lot, I am off. **** off campaigner.

Yep I'm with you guys. Abandoning your mates and everything you've been working for together because you think another team are closer to achieving that goal is the grubbiest reason for leaving a club. Leaving for money is a career decision, no different from any other career, but leaving for success is nothing more than abandoning your teammates to chase personal glory at their expense.

I'll never have the same respect for the premiership medal someone like Lake won.

If McDonald holds his form from last year it’s automatically an upgrade on our forward setup.

I feel it's got a bit of Geelong about it, hoping that a couple of decent pinch-hitting outing up forward from Harry Taylor could be turned into full-time success. Just don't think it's going to work or make the team better overall.

I feel it's got a bit of Geelong about it, hoping that a couple of decent pinch-hitting outing up forward from Harry Taylor could be turned into full-time success. Just don't think it's going to work or make the team better overall.

Fair enough, I think he showed quite a lot up forward and I really don’t think our defence will miss him much (He’s a good KPD but stagnated last few years down there).

Tex and the Crows are doing the right thing.

They've been dignified but strident in calling out Lever's motives for what they are.

A far cry from being the soft touch they were arguably previously.

Pretty much agree. Don't get the comments about being mean to Lever - who the * cares, he isn't there anymore, they don't have to have harmonious relationships with him!

Gary Ablett Jnr is still in the top 10 midfielders in the league and will provide good versatility at the cats

Would be surprised if any would disagree. Easily still in the best 10 players let alone midfielders despite all the injuries and a bit of drama up on the Coast.

Enormous get for Geelong over next couple of years if it does get done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL really wants to expand, HQ should be relocated interstate
Why does the location of its HQ matter? Moving it to the Gold Coast isn't all of the sudden going to turn Gold Coast into a powerhouse.

Why does the location of its HQ matter? Moving it to the Gold Coast isn't all of the sudden going to turn Gold Coast into a powerhouse.
I'm thinking more on an international scale, growing the game. Inside the bubble I think it's mostly caught up in the week to week grind of umpiring interpretations changing, talk back pressure and CEO's grizzling.

I'm thinking more on an international scale
Ive never got this. The game is struggling in parts of our own country, surely we should be worried about that before growing the game outside of it.

Ive never got this. The game is struggling in parts of our own country, surely we should be worried about that before growing the game outside of it.
I think that is part of what he means. Stuck in the bubble of Vic, it acts a bit like a state league headquarters not a national league headquarters. It is to close to, and bound up in, the ins and outs of the politics of football in Vic.

Not sure how unpopular it is given some of the posts I've read here and elsewhere on BF, but the footy industry - including us supporters- need to grow up about player movement.

Kids - and they are almost exclusively kids - go into the draft and can be moved anywhere in the country. They need to adapt to potentially a new city, which could be significantly different in lifestyle depending on where they grew up, and also the demands of professional sports. They risk serious injury, expose themselves to a bloated and sensationalised footy media, deal with keyboard warriors on social media and all the while trying to break into the best 22 against guys who'll be more experienced and stronger. A significant proportion will experience repeated failure, and yes they get paid relatively well but many will play for a few years before retiring or being delisted.

We're all also happy to delist handfuls of players every year for being spuds- but cry foul when one of the better ones wants to move teams for money, opportunity or genuinely be closer to home.

Maybe we could all grow up a bit - and I include myself in that who gets way too emotional about the game and everything that goes with it.

I don't think Bolton is doing a great job at Carlton. One less win this year than last and lower percentage. Their list is not super young despite constantly hearing so in media. Brisbane looking like going past them, leaving only the GC in as bad a condition.

Their list is in that s**t zone of being super young mixed with experienced so the average looks OK. Their Rd 22 team had 2059 games of experience which isn't really that noticeable considering Richmond/Adelaide were 2290/2391 in the GF. The problem with Carlton is that half of that 2059 were under 50 games. Simpson, Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas account for about 950 games between the 4 of them. When those guys finish up there's a gulf in talent from to the good 19-22 year olds they have currently.

Their list is in that s**t zone of being super young mixed with experienced so the average looks OK. Their Rd 22 team had 2059 games of experience which isn't really that noticeable considering Richmond/Adelaide were 2290/2391 in the GF. The problem with Carlton is that half of that 2059 were under 50 games. Simpson, Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas account for about 950 games between the 4 of them. When those guys finish up there's a gulf in talent from to the good 19-22 year olds they have currently.

This is the problem Brisbane has had for basically the past decade - their group of players in that prime age group (25-29 years old, usually 7th-11th season in the league) is often shallow and just not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back