What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 was one of the strongest seasons in history.

If it was a weak season it would have been easier for one team to stand out.

- The premiers didn’t make finals
- The runners-up were eliminated in the semi final
- There was half a game between the top 4, and only 1 more game between the top 6.

One more win and 11th could have finished 7th (with percentage). The lowest number of wins was 5.

You’re confusing even with strong. 2016 was much stronger, the 7th placed Dogs had the same amount of wins as the top 4 this year.

It’s disingenuous to state that he played these VFL games as a black and white matter of fact
He played them. It's a black and white matter of fact. He played those games.
You’re clueless.
Perhaps you could clue me in on which of the 83 games you claim he didn't play? Who played them in his place?

He played them. It's a black and white matter of fact. He played those games.

Perhaps you could clue me in on which of the 83 games you claim he didn't play? Who played them in his place?
You’re just a tedious w***er, arguing about a player you know little about.

He’s either missed or broken down in 25 weeks of a possible 45 in the last two football season seasons.

How could he break down in games you claim he didn't even play?
What?

He broke down in a few games, missed others and then played multiple games where he had his time managed.

It’s really not that hard to understand.

So he wasn't continuously injured as you claimed, Bender571 was correct in saying that other than 2017 his injury history is not that bad.
FFS, it’s very clear that I said that he has been continuously injured or coming back from injury for the last 12-18 months.

25 weeks out of a possibly 45 he’s been either on the sidelines or has broken down mid-game.

FFS, it’s very clear that I said that he has been continuously injured or coming back from injury for the last 12-18 months.

25 weeks out of a possibly 45 he’s been either on the sidelines or has broken down mid-game.
Don't bother, he is clearly putting in a lot of effort to be a *******.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is clear that you were wrong. Other than 2017 his run with injury has been unremarkable.

Lets be clear, no one has said that he has been injured since being drafted. He has been continuously injured for the last 12-18 months, and has been either injured in or missed 25 games in the last two seasons. That’s a shitload of footy.

It’s disingenuous to state that he played these VFL games as a black and white matter of fact, when those who actually go to Box Hill games know that he was being managed through so many of them with limited game time due to the managing of his hamstring concerns, not to mention the games where he has broken down.

The re-imagination of his injury concerns by opposition supporters in this thread has been amazing.

He's been injured a fair bit this year, I'll give you that. But last year he played 15 games and I think he had enough of a go between 2013 and 2016 to know where he's at.

Just on Deledio, he's always been a cream player in a team which has often lacked much cake. He's often been used to mop up defensively and has often played in teams with poor kicking skills, meaning he's had to be the finesse guy. I don't think he's a great inside player and even though he seemingly has all of the athletic tools to become a dominant inside/outside player, I just don't think it's ever been his style to do it week in week out.

If Deledio played more inside minutes, it would have helped him round out his game and become a better player, but it would probably mean somsone like Tuck would shift more outside, and his kicking skills were never great. It's all about competitive advantage and no-one in the team could play his role as well he he did.

Martin plays how Deledio could have played, but Martin is much more gifted playing inside, and Richmond's outside run is far better, but given Richmond play so direct, Martin will often get the football, run away with it and kick it long, meaning he's playing the role of both inside and outside midfielder, whereas under Wallace, inside and outside midfielders did their own thing.

It's possible Wallace's coaching style didn't help Deledio play a more direct inside to outside game, I'm not sure he could have played it though.

He's been injured a fair bit this year, I'll give you that. But last year he played 15 games and I think he had enough of a go between 2013 and 2016 to know where he's at.

He had two lots of hamstring injuries in 2016, and played games with managed minutes.

He played 2 senior games in 2015. He was never going to push passed guys in our senior midfield to play games prior to 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular opinion: the "they had an easy draw" thing is a load of rubbish.

Absolute rubbish if you don’t think the fixture helps

You will find out in 2018 how much the fixture helps or doesn’t help.

Yes, it's only usually only one or two games. It may have a slight impact on ladder positions but no team has ever won a flag because of the draw.

One of those deathly hot-air AFL talking points.
But it helps a team get a more favourable draw. Would Richmond have beaten GWS at Spotless in the semi after wining an Elimination? Would they have even got over their Elimination final hoodoo?

But it helps a team get a more favourable draw. Would Richmond have beaten GWS at Spotless in the semi after wining an Elimination? Would they have even got over their Elimination final hoodoo?
Richmond lost to GWS at Spotless by 3 points in a game we should have won and beat them by 19 and 36 the 2 other times we played them I reckon we could have accounted for them at Spotless especially with the form we were in during the last few weeks of the season and the finals

Horrible runs of injury is not an excuse for poor development/waste of a draft pick.

A players body is part of the overall package, and it doesn’t matter whether it’s the players fault or out of their control, if you never played enough to be recognised as a good place, you aren’t a good player.

Is it unfortunate; yes and excuse; no

There is no such thing as a “strong” or “weak” year. In any given year, All 18 teams have access to the exact same players. Depending on how they’ve approached the last decade or so, their lists may be stronger or weaker. But if a club has a “weak” player, it just means there’s a “strong” player at another club. What we are seeing, for the first time, is a near-equal League. Clubs have the same access to talent, big clubs can’t just throw money around while small clubs rattle tins, all of the clubs have the same money to spend on players. Sure, teams at the top are far less dense with A-grade players than they once were. But that’s because it’s just so much more difficult to access that. People see the top and think it’s weaker than it was, but really the bottom is stronger and as a whole the league is more equal.

Essendons doping scandal penalties were akin to being slapped by a wet lettuce leaf.

Edit: And no, returning back from a year suspension for cheating doesn't make you brave, it's akin to applauding criminals who have been caught, punished and receive a welcoming home party by society.

Last edited:
I do not want to see a return of State of Origin football.

And no its not because SA would suck (although that is true)

After seeing a couple of injuries in the international rules I just couldnt stand to see one of my team's players go down with a nasty injury playing SOO.
I know these were minor injuries like Pendlebury's finger...but that doesnt mean someone cant do an ACL or snap their leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back