What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no way Man looked pretty rounded to me. wouldn’t compare him to players from other eras but he’s on another level to Joel selwood
Because he could break away from packs?

That’s about it.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
"
To be honest I think Judd, Kerr and Cousins were overrated as the way people talk about the 3 of them you would think they were unbeatable as a combination. Problem is that they were not, and even though West Coast was very good in the mid 2000's with the three of them there, they really only won 1 flag, and that 1 flag by 1 point.

At best I would say the Swans midfield of the mid 2000's was workmanlike but they could stand up well against the Judd, Kerr and Cousins combination when if you listened to bigfooty, no team should have been able to do.
Nah Judd,Kerr and Cousins were that good it's just the rest of the team were predominantly workmanlike.Swans with players like Kirk and Matthew just negated there influence to an extent and Swans had better forwards

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dangerfield can mark above his head, and play in more than one position.

Marking above his head, is that really a defining characteristic. It's a different ball game these days, back then if you had the best player of a single position than thats where he stayed, especially if you were very thin on guns like Carlton were!

Lockett and Dunstall were one trick ponies, but they weren't too bad at it!!!

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be honest I think Judd, Kerr and Cousins were overrated as the way people talk about the 3 of them you would think they were unbeatable as a combination. Problem is that they were not, and even though West Coast was very good in the mid 2000's with the three of them there, they really only won 1 flag, and that 1 flag by 1 point.

At best I would say the Swans midfield of the mid 2000's was workmanlike but they could stand up well against the Judd, Kerr and Cousins combination when if you listened to bigfooty, no team should have been able to do.

The reason the Swans were able to get anywhere near the Eagles is because they played a style that was concidered new and there was not any tactics to counter it. The Eagles would tare teams apart with their speed and skills, the Swans were able to counter that by slowing the game down with stoppages, ball movement and run with structures!

The fact the Eagles were able to win a Premiership with their forward line, deffence and interchange is a testiment to just how good Cox, Cousins, Judd and Kerr actually were. Now saying that, Sydney weren't just a team full of hacks!!!

Marking above his head, is that really a defining characteristic. It's a different ball game these days, back then if you had the best player of a single position than thats where he stayed, especially if you were very thin on guns like Carlton were!

Lockett and Dunstall were one trick ponies, but they weren't too bad at it!!!
Please don’t pretend like Judd played solely one position because of Carlton’s poor list.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Selwood has been number 1 mid at Geelong ever since Gaz left, and a top 5 player in the comp for as long if not longer.

Not ahead of Danger at the moment and even arguably Duncan had a better season albeit on the wing.

Has never been a top 5 player in the comp, which Juddy was for a good 7-8 years. I like Selwood too, but he’s not on the same level.

Not ahead of Danger at the moment and even arguably Duncan had a better season albeit on the wing.

Has never been a top 5 player in the comp, which Juddy was for a good 7-8 years. I like Selwood too, but he’s not on the same level.
Someone hasn't been paying attention...

The AFL players rated him at 4 in the 2017 Top 50 and he was 3rd in 2014 and 2015. Clearly he has been considered a Top 5 players in the comp for some time.

Duncan has never been considered a better player than Selwood. Please stop.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Man there are some extreme one eyed people here. Being a one eyed supporter during a game is one thing, but to suggest Judd wasn't that good? To suggest the WCE midfield of Kerr, Cousins and Judd wasn't amazing and one of the best of the last 20 years?
To suggest Selwood isn't a great player?

It's unpopular opinions I know, but the same people would be singing their praises and defending them steadfast if they wore their teams colours.

Man there are some extreme one eyed people here. Being a one eyed supporter during a game is one thing, but to suggest Judd wasn't that good? To suggest the WCE midfield of Kerr, Cousins and Judd wasn't amazing and one of the best of the last 20 years?
To suggest Selwood isn't a great player?

It's unpopular opinions I know, but the same people would be singing their praises and defending them steadfast if they wore their teams colours.
Let's not lose the context of the opinion. Judd was very good.

But he's not on the same level as Mathews, Carey and Gaz Snr.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let's not lose the context of the opinion. Judd was very good.

But he's not on the same level as Mathews, Carey and Gaz Snr.
Fair enough, I still think people would defend them if they were players from their club.much like if their club was on the good end of umpiring decisions or anything like that.

FWIW - Judd's first 5 years were as good as ive seen.

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Someone hasn't been paying attention...

The AFL players rated him at 4 in the 2017 Top 50 and he was 3rd in 2014 and 2015. Clearly he has been considered a Top 5 players in the comp for some time.

Duncan has never been considered a better player than Selwood. Please stop.
Probably not a better player, but I’d say there would be plenty who believe that Duncan had a better year than Selwood in 2017.

Moana_Slob

Draftee
Dec 29, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why are we socially engineering crowds AFL House?

We do not need to segregate fans, even for the rubbish AFLXXXXXX comp

Between getting all socially conscious, gay marriage, the Bachar Houli Cup, Muslim-only tournaments, Moana Hope, the AFL will surely soon figure out that white males are the highest earners in this country. Therefore, do not push this bullshit on me. I go to games to be entertained.

If I go to games and see muslim-only crap with poor young women wearing un-religious, offensive and insular headresses playing my game, I will not go.

Oh and another thing. Bachar Houli is a bad human being. Whacks a bloke and somehow brings his faith into it.

Probably not a better player, but I’d say there would be plenty who believe that Duncan had a better year than Selwood in 2017.
Even if he did, no one would say that Duncan was the number 2 midfielder behind Dangerfield in that Geelong side. Selwood just gets critiqued more strongly due to his regular output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back