What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burn me at the stake, but...
Dusty isn't as good as a lot of people make him out to be.

Best kick out of all the contested ball machines in the comp by a mile and an elite (if not the best??) one-on-one player in the comp by champion data statistics.
He can't do much more?? Kicks goals, tackles, gun contested mark, rarely wastes the ball, sets teammates up, big in crunch time. He is a far better kick than Danger, although the effectiveness of the 2 is pretty close considering I rate Dangers ball winning ability ahead. Commentary is annoying but Dusty is a ******* gun.

I doubt anyone would even consider rating him close to Ablett career wise. Dusty has 2 years, Ablett did it for 8 and is still good in his twilight.

Disappointing from Carlton last night, leads to my opinion.

When rebuilding I'm not convinced playing endless kids and drilling endless defensive tactics into them is the best for long term success.

When the crunch comes and those teams need results and scalps they are not ruthless in being able to put the good sides away in big moments.

Read: Melbourne last year and Carlton last night when they had a couple of chances to really put it to Richmond but stuffed around turned it over and Richmond just went thanks without doing too much.

Odd comment really in my opinion. I don't think we have just played endless kids.

We have clearly moved from dour defence (see us v Adelaide last year) to having an attacking plan this year. Sure, we played defensively last year, but is round 1 2018 going to be indicative of where this team goes? Very unlikely. Not having the ability to execute the reigning premiers when we went for the kill is hardly proof we are not developing.

Although I admit you may well be right, this is all predictive.

HOWEVER

Think you'd be hard pressed to say we don't give kids support and just throw them in undeservedly. Alex Silvagni got 7 games, Sam Rowe 9, just to help out the kids down back. Smedts 9, Lamb 11, White 11, Kerridge 11 all playing as flankers. These guys are getting phased out yes, but not instantly.
Plus actually half decent senior players like Murphy (22), Simpson (22), Docherty (22), Wright (22), Gibbs (22), Kreuzer (21), Cripps (15), E.Curnow (13), Jones (12). Even Casboult (22) and Thomas (18).

We often played as the `older` team last year. Guys like McKay, Macreadie, Polson, Sheehan, Pickett had to earn their spots - their better kids earnt their spots.

Reminds me the last time I went fishing. I drifted the most impressive course available.

Until I nearly crashed the boat and had to call for help/bail out. And never caught a fish.

How long before it becomes obvious the plan ain't working?

I've occasionally been critical of Bolton for a) sticking with journeymen rather than fast-tracking the rebuild, and then b) playing an uber-defensive brand. Last night signalled a new phase in their development. If I was a Carlton supporter I'd be cautiously optimistic and mildly content with last night's showing. To put five goals on the premiers, even if they might've been daydreaming a bit, can only be a positive sign.

Last year they gave us two reasonably competitive games without ever looking likely to win. Last night they had a crack at winning.

Last edited:

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen will finish top 10 in the league in clearances and tackles in 2018. An absolute bull around the stoppages.

He would have been a regular for Adelaide last year (after Scott Thompson was phased out) if not for an ACL injury, and he provides that big body (190cm, 97kg) and hard edge that the Crows midfield lacked in 2017.

I want to join the cheer squad but apparently that makes me mentally challenged and a bogan according to people on this site.
If you're being serious, just do it. Who gives a * about what anonymous people online say, do what makes you happy.

Have you deployed mate? Or are you just masturbating while living vicariously through a fiction like you are accusing the supercoach guys of doing? Why are you watching a movie about war rather than doing it for real?
enjoy your childish game.

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen will finish top 10 in the league in clearances and tackles in 2018. An absolute bull around the stoppages.
Big call. Looks too big and slow for mine.
Didn’t look like he was too keen on tackling last night.

The Crouch brothers, Gibbs and Sloane would all be ahead of him in the midfield so if he puts up the numbers you suggest they will be unstoppable in the middle.

Big call. Looks too big and slow for mine.
Didn’t look like he was too keen on tackling last night.

The Crouch brothers, Gibbs and Sloane would all be ahead of him in the midfield so if he puts up the numbers you suggest they will be unstoppable in the middle.

CEY completely ran out of puff last night.

He’s built like Goddard was during the Grant Thomas years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy is being underrated by all the experts and is still clearly the best player in the comp, and to suggest otherwise is quite disrespectful.

i think it is the similar to LeBron James in the NBA, each year there is a new flavour of the month this year its James Harden, last year was Westbrook, year before that Steph Curry... But Lebron has remained the #1 player in the NBA year after year.. IMO this is the same with Buddy, everyone wants the challenger to take the reigns but Buddy like Lebron is just so far ahead.

Anyone care to argue on this ATM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back