What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the AFLW coverage is appropriate. It covers the game properly when the league is up and running, and disappears when it's over. I don't watch it, but given it's in the off-season, there's not much to report on anyway. It's connected to the AFL and managed by the AFL so it makes sense AFL journalists would cover it. I'm not hearing anything about it now since its season has ended. The media report on it but the media reports on lots of things I don't really care about.

The Matildas lost 7-0 to the Newcastle Jets U/15s not long ago.

I think once you get past the age groups of boys and girls playing together the gap in quality quickly widens.
Past 14 or 15, the women's natural personal advantages disappear. Sam Kerr is a devastating soccer player because of the timing of her runs, and her speed. This lets her get behind defences onto goal.
Against good 15 year old boys, this isn't true.
Tall players that can control the box against crosses are left unable to defend against boys that are taller and have bigger leaps.
What would be a perfectly weighted through ball becomes a turnover because boys starting further away get to it first.

My issue is people then saying the boys are a better team, when they are actually just faster and taller. The women in all the pure 'footballing' aspects of the game may be much better, but still lose due to the scale of the physical deficit.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

If you removed prior then no one would pick the ball up in congestion.

Naitanui tap down to Sheed, immediately tackled and free kick against.

Good tackles used to be pinning one arm so the player retained possession off the ball but couldn't handpass then dried to fashion a kick otherwise they'd just drop the ball. That should be holding the ball.

Some of the calls are simply infuriating. It seems like the umpires have never played the game before

Yeah true. He puts away the histrionics and includes just the right amount of enthusiasm.

BT, Bruce take note.

It's too late for Bruce. He's a lost cause.

I had the misfortune to stumble across the athletics the other night, you'd have thought 8 Cyril Riolis were on the track the way he was carrying on. Unlistenable. At least it keeps him away from footy for a few weeks.

Does it ever. It's not even close.

It's not just the game coverage, either.

The last 5 or 6 GFs (since Fox Footy has been back) they've done those post game reviews where a bunch of senior players sit down and watch the game, go through key moments and the season overall etc. If you're a fan of that team it's a pretty good inisght.

But yeah, the coverage was better when 7 showed games on 3 hour or more delay.... :flushed:

The last 5 or 6 GFs (since Fox Footy has been back) they've done those post game reviews where a bunch of senior players sit down and watch the game, go through key moments and the season overall etc. If you're a fan of that team it's a pretty good inisght.

But yeah, the coverage was better when 7 showed games on 3 hour or more delay.... :flushed:

Try and explain how good it was in the 1980s where half the games weren't covered AT ALL.

Yeah I'm with Scotland. Sure it'd be nice if all games were on free-to-air and seven or whoever used their multi-channel setup but that would mean less money for the league. The AFL have to push for all matches in HD in perpetuity though. I remember the days where many matches weren't televised at all and
the range of radio stations was poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People romanticise the 1990s coverage too much. 90s footy was awesome, 90s coverage stank.

Standard footy weekend for me in the 90s:

Friday night: Delayed game (that had already finished) at 8.30pm after Better Homes and Gardens
Saturday lunchtime: Live game at midday with 'if you don't want to know the score look away now' updates (Riiiiight on the tip of my tongue...)
Saturday evening: Delayed game from earlier in the day shortened to fit somewhere into 4-6pm timeslot
Saturday night: Delayed game at 6.30 or 7.30
Saturday late night: Delayed game at 10.30 or so
Sunday morning: Live game at 11am always from the SCG or Gabba
Sunday late arvo: Delayed Perth game starting at 4.30 with the news at half time

Fast forward to today and I can watch any game I want live in HD on Fox, or I can watch 3 or 4 on FTA which are also mostly live. 2018 wins, flawless victory.
The bitching on BF about Foxtel as some sort of robbery is ridiculous. Just rang to cancel and got basic+sport+HD $39 a month for 12 months. Seriously what entertainment can you get for 10 bucks a week?

no offence but no s**t.
There is usually 5-6 games on in Vic every weekend.
Of course Victorians just go to the footy for something to do because its part of our culture.
There isnt anything wrong with it haha...

You'd be surprised how many resent the notion.

Victorians talk about tribalism and romanticise the good old days of suburban footy, then in the next breath don't want to watch their team play because the game is at 1.40pm at Etihad instead of 2.10pm at the MCG and there won't be a big crowd because they're playing GWS...

The bitching on BF about Foxtel as some sort of robbery is ridiculous. Just rang to cancel and got basic+sport+HD $39 a month for 12 months. Seriously what entertainment can you get for 10 bucks a week?

I might ring and tell them that Kram got this so I want it too! I think mine is a bit more but then I have Drama/Entertainment Plus or some s**t.

If you have a family and don't earn a lot of money then even $39 a month is something you have to find room for in the budget, but I agree it's not nearly as expensive as people make it out to be. It's also a premium service, being able to see 207 games of footy live on TV for free isn't some God given right. In WA you can still see all WC/Freo games on Channel 7 even if not all live so we are lucky, in Victoria it varies from team to team how many games are on FTA, but then you can attend every home or away game in Melbourne so it's not that bad.

I might ring and tell them that Kram got this so I want it too! I think mine is a bit more but then I have Drama/Entertainment Plus or some s**t.

If you have a family and don't earn a lot of money then even $39 a month is something you have to find room for in the budget, but I agree it's not nearly as expensive as people make it out to be. It's also a premium service, being able to see 207 games of footy live on TV for free isn't some God given right. In WA you can still see all WC/Freo games on Channel 7 even if not all live so we are lucky, in Victoria it varies from team to team how many games are on FTA, but then you can attend every home or away game in Melbourne so it's not that bad.
I'm paying $49 but that's because I left the docos in for $10 which I didn't have to though. Last time got $55 instead of $75 for only 6 months.

True it might be a stretch for families on LI but surely given the age profile of BF a lot of the whingers are just young single blokes that probably spend 10 times that a month on booze and fast food.

They didn't do that after 2016 :( I remember them doing it after all of Hawthorns flags, has there been one for Richmond?

I'm fine with foxtel but every game, free-to-air or pay-tv should be shown in the best definition commonly available to sports leagues around the world, like NBA, NFL, NRL, cricket etc. None of this fuzzy standard definition garbage.

Victorians are bigger theatregoers than footy fans in any other state.
Probably. Because there's more people...

The whole vics do this, WA do that, NSW do this, SA does that thing is rubbish.

Every state has fans that do x, y and z. Just like every club has fans that do x, y and z. An example... ferel fans. Collingwood have more ferel fans than a lot of other clubs, because they have a lot more fans than other clubs.

I said bigger, not there are more of them. Victorian fans are much more likely to pick and choose when they support their team than fans in other states. Which is fine, and if I lived in Melbourne I would do similar - but my team plays there a couple of times a year.

Every year there are dick measuring threads about average crowds. Last year Collingwood's lowest home crowd was 23k and their highest 88k. Their highest against any non-Victorian club was 36k. Even Richmond who apparently have 90k members only passed that 36k figure once or twice without opposition fans to pad out the figure.

The whole 'there are 3-5 games on every weekend, it's not like Perth or Adelaide' is nonsense from the perspective of being a club fan. Teams like the Golden State Warriors don't sell out home games years on end because of the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back