What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole Tom Boyd argument is driven purely by hypotheticals. To suggest that "no Tom Boyd = no 2016 premiership" is just a wild, outlandish guess mostly from desperate Western Bulldogs supporters in an attempt to justify his pay-check. I'm sure right now that most of them would be wishing that they could ship him off and spend that sort of coin on a guy who is above VFL level.

And while we're at it in the unpopular opinions thread, I thought Josh Kennedy was clear BOG in the 2016 GF.

The whole Tom Boyd argument is driven purely by hypotheticals. To suggest that "no Tom Boyd = no 2016 premiership" is just a wild, outlandish guess mostly from desperate Western Bulldogs supporters in an attempt to justify his pay-check. I'm sure right now that most of them would be wishing that they could ship him off and spend that sort of coin on a guy who is above VFL level.

And while we're at it in the unpopular opinions thread, I thought Josh Kennedy was clear BOG in the 2016 GF.

First part, I think you're very wrong on most counts, but it has been discussed a lot and usually results in trolling, and I have no time for that so I'll leave it...

Second point... The most popular consensus on the dogs board post grand final was BOG order...
1. Kennedy
2. Boyd
3. Picken
4. JJ

It's actually the popular opinion. If Kennedy didn't play, we would have won a lot more comfortably IMO. He was huge.

The perception is that Hawthorn screwed over North with Jed Anderson (we ended up with pick 19).

The truth is that North poached Jed, courting him to leave.

He was always going to be very good player for them, injury allowing.

I love my football but does any1 else think that some of the games, so far this season, are the equivalent of World Championship Wrestling.?
Yep.Appalling!Its not footy its throwball,dropball, ANYBALL as long as we speed it up! Faster faster .Work your arse off to grab the ball;get hurled to the groung;two blokes jump into the middle of your back; CORSE ya holding the ball!! Dont worry bout the rules just keep it moving!

The perception is that Hawthorn screwed over North with Jed Anderson (we ended up with pick 19).

The truth is that North poached Jed, courting him to leave.

He was always going to be very good player for them, injury allowing.

I'd still say North overpaid/Hawthorn got a better deal.

He's 24 years old, and has played two good games for North. Nothing's set in stone as far as him as consistently being a "very good player" yet.

It was Anderson, 38, 40 for 15 and 55 before academy picks buggered around the draft order.

It's BigFooty 101 to claim a player was traded for 'X' without considering any other aspects to the deal.

E.g. Gary Ablett was traded for pick 19. No, he was traded with pick 24 and a future 4th round pick for pick 19 and a future second round pick.

Was having this debate with my mate recently: Do you reckon a standard country footy men's league team would beat the AFLW premiership team?
I have a feeling they would quite comfortably.

Standard side would win by 2-300 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a year 12 school football team could beat the AFLW flag side.

Considering the national soccer women's team was beaten 7-0 by an under 15s Newcastle squad of boys and that is a much less physical game.

A year 8 football team would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was Anderson, 38, 40 for 15 and 55 before academy picks buggered around the draft order.

It's BigFooty 101 to claim a player was traded for 'X' without considering any other aspects to the deal.

E.g. Gary Ablett was traded for pick 19. No, he was traded with pick 24 and a future 4th round pick for pick 19 and a future second round pick.

These extra details support the claim North did well out of the deal.

I said bigger, not there are more of them. Victorian fans are much more likely to pick and choose when they support their team than fans in other states. Which is fine, and if I lived in Melbourne I would do similar - but my team plays there a couple of times a year.

Every year there are dick measuring threads about average crowds. Last year Collingwood's lowest home crowd was 23k and their highest 88k. Their highest against any non-Victorian club was 36k. Even Richmond who apparently have 90k members only passed that 36k figure once or twice without opposition fans to pad out the figure.

The whole 'there are 3-5 games on every weekend, it's not like Perth or Adelaide' is nonsense from the perspective of being a club fan. Teams like the Golden State Warriors don't sell out home games years on end because of the opposition.

Lol you're actually comparing the MCG to selling out a basketball stadium? Righto then...

Lol you're actually comparing the MCG to selling out a basketball stadium? Righto then...

You know that NBA teams play 41 home games, right? All bar one team had more fans through the gate for their home games overall than Richmond's record last year, and 6 of Richmonds home games were held in a stadium that holds 100,000 against other teams from Melbourne.

People get hard-ons for AFL crowds but they are massively manufactured.

A year 8 football team would.

No. Hyperbole not needed.
A year 7 boys team would have trouble with a a very good year 7 girls team. A year 8 boys team easily beats even a very good year 8 girls team. year. A good year 12 team would beat an AFLW team, but not any year 12 team (have seen some pretty s**t year 12 teams).

A half decent men's team in even a low level of footy thrashes an AFLW team.

Don't be that guy that's all 'a year 8 team is better than AFLW, no, an Ozkickers team would thrash AFLW, no, a 6 year old soccer team beats an AFLW team, they would lose to a team of sperm with a y chromosome, no, they would get beaten by 30 goals by a photo of Ablett.

Your better than that.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

You know that NBA teams play 41 home games, right? All bar one team had more fans through the gate for their home games overall than Richmond's record last year, and 6 of Richmonds home games were held in a stadium that holds 100,000 against other teams from Melbourne.

People get hard-ons for AFL crowds but they are massively manufactured.

How many ppl fit into a basketball stadium?

First half was arguably the best half a player has played in a grand final. Was shut down in the second half though. No issue with how the Norm Smith voting ended up that day.

First half was arguably the best half a player has played in a grand final. Was shut down in the second half though. No issue with how the Norm Smith voting ended up that day.

Definitely right thread to be making those kind of statements.

No. Hyperbole not needed.
A year 7 boys team would have trouble with a a very good year 7 girls team. A year 8 boys team easily beats even a very good year 8 girls team. year. A good year 12 team would beat an AFLW team, but not any year 12 team (have seen some pretty s**t year 12 teams).

A half decent men's team in even a low level of footy thrashes an AFLW team.

Don't be that guy that's all 'a year 8 team is better than AFLW, no, an Ozkickers team would thrash AFLW, no, a 6 year old soccer team beats an AFLW team, they would lose to a team of sperm with a y chromosome, no, they would get beaten by 30 goals by a photo of Ablett.

Your better than that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2...newcastle-jets-under-15-boys-team_a_21383895/

Considering AFLW players aren't anywhere near the level of professional sportspeople that national level soccer teams are, I don't think his claim is outlandish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2...newcastle-jets-under-15-boys-team_a_21383895/

Considering AFLW players aren't anywhere near the level of professional sportspeople that national level soccer teams are, I don't think his claim is outlandish.

The point is the ages being talked about.

In under 12/13's there is very little difference physically between boys and girls (in fact girls are often more physically developed at that stage). You cant say a yr 8 boys team would beat AFLW - because its clearly not true. That year 8 boys team is probably on par with a good yr 8 girls team.

Once you are past puberty and getting to those 15/16yos then there is a clear physical advantage to the boys.
We do not need to denigrate the womens game by making those comparisons.

The point is the ages being talked about.

In under 12/13's there is very little difference physically between boys and girls (in fact girls are often more physically developed at that stage). You cant say a yr 8 boys team would beat AFLW - because its clearly not true. That year 8 boys team is probably on par with a good yr 8 girls team.

Once you are past puberty and getting to those 15/16yos then there is a clear physical advantage to the boys.
We do not need to denigrate the womens game by making those comparisons.
Which is the entire reason people make them. They are attempts to denigrate, nothing more nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back