What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
[

. Club's like collingwood, bombers, Blues, Tigers should be at the top more often than not and certainly not for the sakes of bulldog's , kangaroo's etc , who when they play final's do it to many empty seat's . It's a bad look for the game .

This is a particular sore point with me. I HATE seeing a ground at <75% capacity. It kills the atmosphere and hurts the game's image (how often do you see sparsely attended NFL or Premier League matches?) So my unpopular thought:

Fewer games at the MCG during the home and away season.

Interesting that you think everyone has the same goal. How is that beautiful of yours by the way?

People who don't "waste time" don't exist. There is no person on this Earth who is 100% hell-bent on achieving their goals, whatever they may be. They need downtime and as far as downtime goes following the AFL is not a bad way to go... certainly it isn't like heroin. Heroin is a chemical addiction whilst following the AFL, at best, could be described as an arousal addiction. The world passes everybody by my friend - I'm sure you want Steve Jobs to be remembered but sadly he won't be and neither will you or I. Looking at it that way, its a waste of time for you to pursue your goals... simply enjoy yourself and let others enjoy themselves.

"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football". Albert Camus. Football is a great teacher.

Perhaps it has become more apparent this year because of his inaccuracy. Its not overall accuracy that matters its that he misses the very easy ones that he should kick.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1488&tid2=13&pid2=1771&type=T&fid1=S&fid2=S

Franklin has more behinds than goals this year and that isn't including his misses out of bounds on the full. LT has a very good accuracy this year and yet it doesn't matter. Both of these players need to be mentally stronger when the easy goals are in front of them - they simply must score. Let's call it Sam Stosur syndrome - when presented with the easy they mentally fold under the pressure of expectation.

The best part of your post is where you don't actually address any of my factual points I presented. I didnt expect anything more though. This is his first year of ordinary kicking.

Anyway if you actually knew what you are talking about, you would have seen Mike Sheehan on the couch a few weeks ago present buddy's heat maps. At that point before he went nuts against your mob, he was actually over 90% accuracy from shots 0 to 30 metres out. It was actually the ones that he usually kicks in seasons gone by ( 50 out, angle ), that he was something like 18% accuracy for. So that pretty much makes what you said in your op and also the quoted post null and void. Im glad we had this conversation.

This is a particular sore point with me. I HATE seeing a ground at <75% capacity. It kills the atmosphere and hurts the game's image (how often do you see sparsely attended NFL or Premier League matches?) So my unpopular thought:

Fewer games at the MCG during the home and away season.

Maybe marquee matches only ? Otherwise the stadium is far too big for your run of the mill match .

Having the "Northern Power" based in South Australia would be even more idiotic than the "Western Bulldogs" being in the south east of the country.

No it wouldn't. The reason they can't gain market share is because of the Port stigma. Through the 70s, 80s and 90s the Port magpies went out of their way to make sure everyone except for magpies supporters hated them. It worked so well it has come back to bite them on the ass now.
Of course they would have to move their home base etc out somewhere north as well. It will not have an immediate impact but in 10 years time they will be much better off for it.
Sort of re-creating a club without having to do so. The Northern suburbs of SA are also the fastest growing. Would help take advantage of that market.

There should be no runners at all.
The coaches have all week, breaks between quarters and people yelling from the side-lines to communicate to players. It would allow players to play, would halt all this excessive interchange crap, and free up space on the ground.
Name me another sport where non-combatants or officials are constantly on the playing surface during play!

This is his first year of ordinary kicking.
So that pretty much makes what you said in your op and also the quoted post null and void. Im glad we had this conversation.

So he is or isn't in the top few?

1 Victorian sides are pampered. They complain too much whilst being among the largest 'brands' in the country
2 Expansion is a positive. More money, more interest, and in twenty years we'll have a larger talent pool
3 Rule changes, for the most part, are good. They improve the game
4 Goal and point reviews are modern and promote the 'right outcome.' We just need cameras inside the posts to make it almost flawless. The atmosphere and tension during a review adds to the spectacle, but without resorting to a gimmick
5 'Unfair' fixtures are exciting and add a sense of occasion. We need Derbys and Showdowns. I'd rather go to two Pies - Essendon games than pit up with those sides against 'low crowd drawing' teams
6 Money is a positive. In ten years, we will have a competition where every stadium is truly world class. Right now, our fantastic grounds would be the envy of many other leagues. Things like Auskick are just awesome: well organised, cheap for kids, and it keeps people attached to footy forever. Only cricket could be even half as good as Auskick. Ditching suburban grounds and small time clubs has benefited many aspects of Australia
7 Chris Judd is detestable

Following AFL football is a waste of time. There are better things to do in life. Think of all time you spend travelling to and from games, standing in queues before the game and at half time, watching overpaid gorillas chase a piece of leather, hurling abuse at the umpires, cursing the opposition guns, cursing your own team's duds, shuffling slowly out of the ground after the final siren, listening to shitty talkback radio, listening to shitty radio commercials, watching godawful TV panel shows, reading insipid newspaper articles, pre-season fluff pieces about Jobe & Timmy Watson, listening to Channel 7's crappy commentary, Bruce and Dennis tossing each other off and swearing at your TV screen like a crazy man, daydreaming of your team winning the Grand Final, posting mindless crap on Big Footy, arguing with some imbecile over who was better: Tredrea or Riewoldt? Hird or Buckley? .... and for what? Was your life improved? Did it help you achieve your goals? Did you wake up and find yourself living in a Toorak mansion with a beautiful wife and $10,000,000 in your bank account? All it really did was temporarily distract you from the miserable reality that your life sucks.

AFL football is like heroin: it's heavy users suffer through long periods of drawn-out anticipation and irritation, the occasional fleeting high, interspersed with a zombified, stupefied state of existence, their body and mind slowly rotting as the years tick by, the world passing them by.

Enjoy your AFL, schmucks. Here's some highlights of Peter Daicos brought to you by McDonalds cheeseburgers and Carlton United Breweries.
Excellent post. I'm undone by the enjoyment I get out of seeing my team win. More expensive than crack too!

1) too many teams in Melbourne. Need to merge, move or fold and bring the amount of teams down so we can either play each other twice or something suitable to fix the schedule.

2) not sure if this is unpopular or not but 3 weeks of byes? GTFO. my DT is fked :D

3) need Monday night football or Thursday night football on a weekly basis. Get rid of the twilight Sunday game and use either the Thursday or Monday to replace it
who is that in your avatar?

1) 3 Victorian clubs should merge - namely Roos, Bulldogs and Melbourne. They only have a handful of members (discounting the Victorian joke that is 3 game memberships). At what number of members is not enough to warrant a fold/merge? 5000? 1000? 500? Just get rid of the drains on our competition already.

2) Home games should be classified as those where you do not leave the state. Therefore, currently the Eagles play 12 home games, whereas teams like Collingwood play 18 home games. Then to balance this out, the Vicorian teams would have to travel sometimes twice to play Sydney, West Coast, etc to make travelling fair.

3) Lenny Hayes is overrated, and gets unwarranted over the top praise in a sluggish and uninspiring St kilda midfield. Put him in a Port or Dockers jumper and the 250 game wank fest never happens.

4) The draw should be randomized. Letting certain teams play in ANZAC day games, etc just further unbalances an uneven draw.

Eagles home games (as with any other team outside melbourne) are a bigger advantage than Collingwood at the G because there is a much bigger advantage for them than say Collingwood versing another melbourne club at the G

That being said, Natanui is the most overrated player in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following AFL football is a waste of time. There are better things to do in life. Think of all time you spend travelling to and from games, standing in queues before the game and at half time, watching overpaid gorillas chase a piece of leather, hurling abuse at the umpires, cursing the opposition guns, cursing your own team's duds, shuffling slowly out of the ground after the final siren, listening to shitty talkback radio, listening to shitty radio commercials, watching godawful TV panel shows, reading insipid newspaper articles, pre-season fluff pieces about Jobe & Timmy Watson, listening to Channel 7's crappy commentary, Bruce and Dennis tossing each other off and swearing at your TV screen like a crazy man, daydreaming of your team winning the Grand Final, posting mindless crap on Big Footy, arguing with some imbecile over who was better: Tredrea or Riewoldt? Hird or Buckley? .... and for what? Was your life improved? Did it help you achieve your goals? Did you wake up and find yourself living in a Toorak mansion with a beautiful wife and $10,000,000 in your bank account? All it really did was temporarily distract you from the miserable reality that your life sucks.

AFL football is like heroin: it's heavy users suffer through long periods of drawn-out anticipation and irritation, the occasional fleeting high, interspersed with a zombified, stupefied state of existence, their body and mind slowly rotting as the years tick by, the world passing them by.

Enjoy your AFL, schmucks. Here's some highlights of Peter Daicos brought to you by McDonalds cheeseburgers and Carlton United Breweries.
Football is pointless. There's almost no pay off to watching a club your entire life. But then again, why retain a family? Why get a girlfriend? Why work hard? Our existence is merely absurd and totally pointless. Life is an exercise that means nothing. You can get whatever you want from it for this very reason. You're right, but what else is there to do? There are some beautiful things in footy, and some s**t things. It's just like life. Who cares?

The coaches have all week, breaks between quarters and people yelling from the side-lines to communicate to players. It would allow players to play, would halt all this excessive interchange crap, and free up space on the ground.
Name me another sport where non-combatants or officials are constantly on the playing surface during play!

Couldn't agree more. Once upon a time it made sense since runners told players when to come off. But given that the interchange bench now basically runs itself with players choosing to have breaks the need for runners is reduced.

If players need to receive communication from the coach it can be done when they go to the bench or via other players.

I agree with this.

Paying for Foxtel is akin to self harm. The more people who sign up, the more dollars Foxtel will have to secure sole rites to coverage and then there will be no choice but to pay.
Why some Foxtel subscribers deride people who don't pay to watch footy on TV doesn't make sense. Why enslave ourselves to the whims of a broadcaster that can price what they like when they will have exclusivity!

CH7 is only going to have a limited number of matches on FTA regardless. What's more, Foxtel's trump cards (footy, EPL, tennis to an extent) has no value to FTA networks, so why would they bid for it?

Why would you complain about FTA if you had foxtel?
They wouldn't. My post was mainly in reference to people who are unwilling to pay for Foxtel and complain about the inadequacies of FTA.

So he is or isn't in the top few?

Before this round he was

#1 in the comp for goals
#1 in the comp for goal assists
#1 in the comp score involvements
Top 5 in the comp for contested marks
Top 5 in the comp for tackles inside 50
#1 among kpfs for tackles

Combine the fact he averages 19 touches a game this year ( which is nearly unheard of for a kpf ), he has had a better record against top 8 teams than bottom 8 teams through his career, he is the only forward in history to poll two seasons of 20 + brownlow votes by age 24, has a better record in finals than home and away, kicks big goals in finals, and has won finals off his own boot, I would say what more can he do?

CH7 is only going to have a limited number of matches on FTA regardless. What's more, Foxtel's trump cards (footy, EPL, tennis to an extent) has no value to FTA networks, so why would they bid for it?
I was referring to AFL broadcasting, don't know why you'd want to pay for it if you didn't have too!
Back in the day of the 16 team comp when 7 were sole broadcasters how many games did they televise?

1. Franklin is over-rated
2. Scarlett is not an all time great of the game
3. Richardson is a better CHF than all bar Carey in recent times
4. B. Harvey is very over-rated
5. Essendon 2000 really was the greatest team in history - they just couldn't maintain the rage (bring it :D)
6. Brisbane Lions should have an * next to the three flags
7. Hawthorn's list is deplorable; will not get it near a flag
8. Judd wouldn't be in the top five midfielders in the game ATM
9. Collingwood will win the flag
10. Demetriou is a fantastic administrator

Well thats ten, I'm sure I can come up with more. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back