What was Rocket doing at the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how Rocket recently hit media street bemoaning the lack of funding for football in Tas after having just been paid for three years for overseeing a club that is directly responsible for the lack of funds for Tas.

The revenue that expansion teams generate for the competition far exceeds any funding they may receive. You are misguided in your assessment of the true cause of the issues facing football in Tasmania.

I'm not sure how he was at the Doggies or the Suns but I know when he was at the Swans he had this ability to just rip into all the players. By all reports he was pretty nasty to them, calling them all names and making them do degrading tasks just to prove a point. You can say man up, etc, but when you head into work every day and your boss is the one always putting you down it weighs on you.

In Roos latest book he talks about Rockets last day in charge at the Swans, made the players cancel their day off to come in and train (it was initiated by the board). He got the players to do the 'scarecrow'. You stand there with your arms up and whoever lets their arms drop losses. Went on for hours, players were exhausted come the end. In all honesty what was he trying to achieve but to degrade or punish his players?

If that's the way he was at the Suns there's no way I'd want to play under him

Ryan Fitzgerald hated Eade.

Luff was always a massive target of Eade as well, but he was pretty good at handling it apparently. Either way, Eade seems more like a drill sergeant than a coach and that is not what modern football is about. Players need someone who they respect, and who respects them.

Ryan Fitzgerald hated Eade.

Luff was always a massive target of Eade as well, but he was pretty good at handling it apparently. Either way, Eade seems more like a drill sergeant than a coach and that is not what modern football is about. Players need someone who they respect, and who respects them.
Yeah Rocket's nickname for Fitzgerald was "Plasticine" because Rocket would tell Ryan he was so dumb he would have failed plasticine in kindergarten.

Surely the Suns started the rot by recruiting Ablett as captain and grabbing cooked players like Fraser, Harris, Brown...

Yeah they made plenty on blues from early on.

Jeez Rocket was a stupid, bizarre choice though. The game had gone past him by the end at the Bulldogs, then he spends a few years shuffling paper as Collingwood failed... and they thought he’d be a good coach for them? So strange.

The Gen Y kids are pretty soft around the edges. They all know their ‘rights’.

Honesty think these sort of generalisations about “young people” are bullshit.

Three of the best recently at working with young groups were Clarkson, Lyon and Bomber.

None of them are young themselves and all had more than a few good sprays in them which have been delivered with genuine vigour.

It was a terrible appointment from Day 1. But what on earth was he doing that actually had players desperate to get away from him?

He expected accountability from his players, in particular the captain. And felt that professional footballers should actually care about how they perform.

He was a good choice for coach. Problem is, he was dealing with terrible choices for players.

Obviously bad blood from what happened at GC perhaps. Not sure what was happening up there but it’s set the club back another 3 years. I just can’t believe they made the appointment.
and then tried to blame all his short comings and * ups on Bluey McKenna

He expected accountability from his players, in particular the captain. And felt that professional footballers should actually care about how they perform.

He was a good choice for coach. Problem is, he was dealing with terrible choices for players.

He did a terrible job and didn’t improve them at all.

On any objective measure whatsoever, it was a poor appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Him being coach at GC was obviously a mistake from day 1 but the Suns had developed a party culture that wasn't putting in the hard yards.

Honesty think these sort of generalisations about “young people” are bullshit.

Three of the best recently at working with young groups were Clarkson, Lyon and Bomber.

None of them are young themselves and all had more than a few good sprays in them which have been delivered with genuine vigour.
It’s not bullshit a lot of the time.

Yeah they made plenty on blues from early on.

Jeez Rocket was a stupid, bizarre choice though. The game had gone past him by the end at the Bulldogs, then he spends a few years shuffling paper as Collingwood failed... and they thought he’d be a good coach for them? So strange.
From all reports I've heard Rocket is an amazing tactician but he's a horrible coach. If the only thing keeping him from being the best is "he just needs to be a little softer on the players" I can understand why boards would back him. But anyone who watches AFL would know Rocket is the answer to a question nobody asked

You've not worked with millennials I take it.

People like this is why we should have mandatory 2 years public/military service for teens once they finish high school. That girl and anyone like her is a straight up ******* imbecile. She should go play the game where after she gets her starbucks at ten she puts head head in a bucketful of water 3 times and only pulls it out twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back