Coaching Footy - What was the best advice you recieved from a coach? | BigFooty

Coaching Footy What was the best advice you recieved from a coach?

Discussion in 'Skills, Coaching, Admin, Umpires' started by 3121 premiers, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 3121 premiers

3121 premiers fumbler

Richmond
    When I was playing Juniors there was always someone who told you what was the best way to do something. I never listened to well I just wanted to play and have fun.
    As I got older I changed my tune and started to listen to advice. I still played the way I wanted though.

My best advice from a coach was when I was around 23 and I was shown how to read a tap ruck from the boundary. It was astounding the difference in what I had been doing and what I learnt to do, it was as if I hadn't known how to play the game until that moment. I wished I knew how to do it properly 10 years earlier.
    My whole game dynamics had changed and I was loving Footy again.

What's your story?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Zurgblade

Zurgblade Debutant

Fremantle
    So how do you read a tap ruck?

3. 3121 premiers

3121 premiers fumbler

Richmond
    Basically I was told to watch the ruckmens hand as he went towards the ball, it's similar to a spin bowler in cricket.
    Watch the way he leans, watch the way he pushes to one side.

Suttle, but very clear.

4. PenfoldsFan

PenfoldsFan Senior List

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Hawthorn, Central Districts
    Best piece of advice i recieved from my coach was, have you considered playing another sport..

HeavyPop, Rotayjay and Obi fella like this.
  5. brutus76

brutus76 Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Brisbane (VIC until 21, SA until mid 30's)
    Other Teams:
    LFC, NFL Redskins, Brisbane Lions
    My under 18s coach was Geoff Rosenow (ex Geelong). Said hed make me a better footballer and he did. I was a forward but spend that year pkaying every position on the ground. I actually loved playing loose man in defence. Kicking out from full back and marshalling the defence gave me more insight into how to play as a forward. Even in ruck quickly noting your opponents strengths and weaknesses and adjusting.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. Plugger46

Plugger46 All Australian

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    North Adelaide
    If you struggle to get into a game or just struggle in general do the 1%ers to get involved and you work yourself into a game. Not everything has to be kicks and goals