Coaching Footy What was the best advice you recieved from a coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was playing Juniors there was always someone who told you what was the best way to do something. I never listened to well I just wanted to play and have fun.
As I got older I changed my tune and started to listen to advice. I still played the way I wanted though.

My best advice from a coach was when I was around 23 and I was shown how to read a tap ruck from the boundary. It was astounding the difference in what I had been doing and what I learnt to do, it was as if I hadn't known how to play the game until that moment. I wished I knew how to do it properly 10 years earlier.
My whole game dynamics had changed and I was loving Footy again.

What's your story?

When I was playing Juniors there was always someone who told you what was the best way to do something. I never listened to well I just wanted to play and have fun.
As I got older I changed my tune and started to listen to advice. I still played the way I wanted though.

My best advice from a coach was when I was around 23 and I was shown how to read a tap ruck from the boundary. It was astounding the difference in what I had been doing and what I learnt to do, it was as if I hadn't known how to play the game until that moment. I wished I knew how to do it properly 10 years earlier.
My whole game dynamics had changed and I was loving Footy again.

What's your story?

So how do you read a tap ruck?

So how do you read a tap ruck?

Basically I was told to watch the ruckmens hand as he went towards the ball, it's similar to a spin bowler in cricket.
Watch the way he leans, watch the way he pushes to one side.

Suttle, but very clear.

My under 18s coach was Geoff Rosenow (ex Geelong). Said hed make me a better footballer and he did. I was a forward but spend that year pkaying every position on the ground. I actually loved playing loose man in defence. Kicking out from full back and marshalling the defence gave me more insight into how to play as a forward. Even in ruck quickly noting your opponents strengths and weaknesses and adjusting.

Last edited:
If you struggle to get into a game or just struggle in general do the 1%ers to get involved and you work yourself into a game. Not everything has to be kicks and goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back