Opinion What was the best sequence of play in an Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

The whinging about the non-decision against Rioli is Victorian snarkiness bordering on self-parody.
a lot of Collingwood supporters walking around muttering to themselves in hong kong?

outside the media and a few salty pies supporters on here, It's the non-collingwood fans bringing this up ad nauseam...

Fletcher Denham Long

So it turns out it should have been a free kick to Rioli for high contact.

DoUxVPkUgAEwpAV.jpg:large

No really a good shot, his hand could be half a foot away from his head for all we know.

History lesson.
Garry Foulds tackles Michael Byrne who spills the ball to avoid free kick from Ruck contest.
Daisy Williams picks up and drives long inside forward line but kicks over the head of Leon Baker.
Baker taps the ball on, then blind turns O'Halloran before kicking truly from 15 out.
Bombers hit the front.

Great, but the passage midway thru the 3rd quarter in 01 vs. Essendon ending with a Luke Power goal is the greatest passage of all time. Under constant pressure, from Voss to White to both Scott brothers, Notting deep to Brown, then fires the handball to Luke for the left foot snap. All whilst under extreme pressure.

If only I could find footage of just that passage
Absolutely agree. Easily my favourite piece of play from any grand final....Williams and Dew in 2008 is its closest rival.

Absolutely agree. Easily my favourite piece of play from any grand final....Williams and Dew in 2008 is its closest rival.
Found it - 1:09:40

Any Brisbane supporter or lover of football needs to watch the 2001 GF with Triple M commentary... will send shivers down you spine...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found it - 1:09:40

Any Brisbane supporter or lover of football needs to watch the 2001 GF with Triple M commentary... will send shivers down you spine...

I do remember that piece of play, absolutely f....ng awesome stuff, as you predicted it does still send a shiver up the spine.

I still have the 3peat DVD box set, I watched all 3 numerous times over the years although I haven't had a look at them for probably over 10 years now, I may have to dust them off and have another look.

Watching the game yesterday, I believe yesterday with the involvement of McGovern > Vardy > Ryan > Sheed to setup the winning goal it's the best sequence I've witnessed in a grand final. Absolute clutch marks from Gov and Ryan to a clutch goal to Sheed it had it all.

Can anyone top that?

Can't top the best , but I can top the worst, and that was the last minute where umpiring or non umpiring what ever you call it, created a result it shouldn't have, its been waiting to happen for years, and it did. So thats my worst.

The best, would be that people recognise the win by the Eagles, was fine , both sides could have been honorable winners.

But the dishonor goes to the AFL, who have rule fiddled for years and created this dilemma, that has stained this grand final!

Why would an umpire or umpires, decide to ease up on... free ... kick paying, in the GF and have it different to the home and away season.

That is what happens and it shouldn't . It happened before the umps seem let it go in grand finals .
They shouldn't, but when you "don't see" or misinterpret or just "ignore" at crucial moments when you get something as blatant and cruel created by the AFL in the GF it is a trgedy, now lots of people qwill head off and forgwet this, until it happens to them.

It was only a matter of time before something like this with the grey rules being able to be manipulated by umpires too frightened to pay a free where they see it, at a crucial time.

An umpire who does not always appear to like my club, so this is no bias comment , he is so pedantic that Collingwood may have got that free from him.
But he would have been correct on that occasion, hopefully he doesn't cut too many players in the future with his.. razor!

So for me the best part of the GF would be the play where the AFL have a deep close sensible fair look inside its over blown over paid administration , before it climbs up its own behind and disappears!!!!

2012 GF is still one of my favourites and there were heaps from that game. Jetta vs Rioli, Hannebery goal, Goodes goal on one leg, Malceski snap.

Seen a lot of GFs now but Buddy dropping a premiership against the Dogs sticks out in my mind.

The greatest fwd of his generation, on the fattest contract that has ever existed in footy, nailed dawdling by a quintessential honest workman in Morris playing on one leg, then Picken(?) -> Boyd ->'Goal for the ages'

A doggies fan can sharpen that up for me, but it was not only a great passage of play, but a perfect lesson in how reputation/pedigree/$$ earnt counts for nothing in the heat of the final moments of a GF.

Picken wasn’t involved. Morris tackled buddy and Boyd picked up the loose ball then booted it.

I was ******* delirious at the other end almost right behind the kick

Heath Shaw's smother is still my no1. His determination really goes to show how much the players want the win and how passionate the game really is.

Scarlett toe-poke.
What made this passage so important was that it broke a 10 minute deadlock during which neither team scored, AND gave Geelong the match winning lead

'89 -

Boundary throw in --> scrimmage --> Hocking --> Bairstow --> Linder --> Ablett --> Goal

Ball movement was so clean (eventually) and effective. Epitomises how the game was played. And a controversial opinion - I think Ablett's goal at the end of this passage was better than the one he kicked over the ruck contest in the second quarter

Seen a lot of GFs now but Buddy dropping a premiership against the Dogs sticks out in my mind. Yeah

The greatest fwd of his generation, on the fattest contract that has ever existed in footy, nailed dawdling by a quintessential honest workman in Morris playing on one leg, then Picken(?) -> Boyd ->'Goal for the ages'

A doggies fan can sharpen that up for me, but it was not only a great passage of play, but a perfect lesson in how reputation/pedigree/$$ earnt counts for nothing in the heat of the final moments of a GF.

I can sharpen it up for you: Swans were already behind, it was a 50/50 marking contest, and he got tackled in congestion after collecting a hot ground ball, not ‘dawdling’. Dropping a premiership?

It was a good tackle and great goal, but buddy’s culpability seems to have snowballed in the popular imagination over the years.

Last edited:
I'll nominate this superb sequence from Hawthorn's 2014 Grand Final masterclass

The Hawks had just kicked 2 goals in 2 minutes to take a 28 point lead. They bust the game wide open on the ensuing centre bounce.

a September special for the football purists...

McEvoy palms it beautifully down to Lewis, over to Mitchell, backwards to Birchall, across to Suckling; he steps around McVeigh, then dodges around Jack and Lloyd, gives it back to Birchall on the overlap. Birchall sees Hodge at CHF, kick it quickly in his direction... Hodge gathers, sells Parker some candy & dishes it off to Langford on the burst.... Langford sprints inside fifty, Hannebery in pursuit. He shoots from 48m.... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

I can sharpen it up for you: Swans were already behind, it was a 50/50 marking contest, and he got tackled in congestion after collecting a hot ground ball, not ‘dawdling’. Dropping a premiership?

It was a good tackle and great goal, but buddy’s culpability seems to have snowballed in the popular imagination over the years.
Fair call, plenty of HTBs in any game, shouldn't focus on one at the end.

Still think it crystallised in a moment one of the great sporting themes, the honest tryer overcoming the millionaire superstar by sheer desperation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back