What was the best year of Carey's career?

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a great read @ Rick18.

I'm kind of agreeing with those who picked 93/94, but that is more because of what seemed to be coming.

Definitely 96. Would have been that other year if he'd kicked straight in the first half of the last game.

1996 was probably his best year, but 1993 is probably my favourite year of his. It was a breakthrough season for the club and he was in the centre of our revival, not only because he was just made Captain, but because his game went through the roof and with the support up front of Longmire and McAdam we seemed almost unstoppable. Until injuries stopped us.

Carey's highest average disposals/game was 19.6 in the year [redacted].

Carey's highest marks/game was 8.6 in 1994.

Carey's highest goals per game was 3.8 in 1999. That was a bit of a surprise.

It's his season goal totals that had me double-taking on reflection. Coming into footy in the Carey years probably made me take his output for granted.

For contrast Drew Petrie maxed out at 58 goals in a very good individual season (2012).

I wouldn't have rated Carey's 2000 as anything great yet he reached 69 (yep 69) goals in a fairly run of the mill season.

Carey's highest average disposals/game was 19.6 in the year [redacted].

Carey's highest marks/game was 8.6 in 1994.

Carey's highest goals per game was 3.8 in 1999. That was a bit of a surprise.

It's his season goal totals that had me double-taking on reflection. Coming into footy in the Carey years probably made me take his output for granted.

For contrast Drew Petrie maxed out at 58 goals in a very good individual season (2012).

I wouldn't have rated Carey's 2000 as anything great yet he reached 69 (yep 69) goals in a fairly run of the mill season.

3.8 goals a game from a CHF in that era is just ******* ludicrous.

I think it has to be 96 when our entire team was at the peak of its powers. He was freakishly confident and powerful then. Plus I think his goal kicking that year was better than any other year.

Surely he’d have to be the greatest key position player ever to play the game it wet or damp conditions. Some of his games in the wet during 93’ to 99’ were better than anything some key forwards would put up now in perfect conditions.

Individually his best period would’ve had to have been the 94’ finals. Far out, he single handedly pulled us forward during those finals

God its hard as I was a just under a teen and a teen throughout for most part. But I remember he was a lot more mobile and better mark before his shoulder injuries. I think 94 and 96-98. Unfair since you're asking for one year.

He was the king of just about every bloody september though.

Yeah and on one leg as well

That 97 final against the cats in the wet was one of the great performances.
One of the more satisfying finals wins as we went in as underdogs , but in reality we were never going to lose . I was 90% confident in the days leading in but by 2pm game day I was 100% .

Listening to the radio at work I tuned in to Pig , Jimmy & Rooboy , they played a grab from an interview with Ben Graham on how he’d go playing on the duck in a final and he stupidly said that he’d beaten him early in the year and he was confident he would again .

Needless to say Dunstall & Hird said asked Wayne his thoughts to which he replied “ we will see “ from that point there was only ever going to be one outcome.

Someone really needs to you tube that Interview followed by .... IT WAS AT THIS MOMENT BEN KNEW HE FU**ED UP !!!

God its hard as I was a just under a teen and a teen throughout for most part. But I remember he was a lot more mobile and better mark before his shoulder injuries. I think 94 and 96-98. Unfair since you're asking for one year.

He was the king of just about every bloody september though.

Imagine the body of the '94 player with the smarts and experience of the 96+ player. He would have been - even more - of a colossus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back