What was the last thing you bought from a local small business

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
During the pandemic I've seen the importance of promoting local jobs and business in this country. I try to make sure that everything I buy supports these businesses and NOT the big corporations like Amazon.

I bought several books from a local bookstore in Norwood at Dillons
Bought a city edition 76ers cap from Basketball Jersey World in Melbourne

sourdough pasta, sweet and savoury pastries

I went to a local bakery - The Bakers Den, a couple of times early last year (before all the covid stuff), and then when we went into the first lot of restrictions in March/April, they started a free home delivery service so you could get bread, pies, hot cross buns, slices and milk etc without having to go out.

That's something I made use of a bit at the start (until about Easter), then started making weekly (or more) trips as they also have really good coffee and are sooooo affordable

They (unfortunately) closed for a couple of weeks over the Christmas/New Year period but rather than defaulting just to the supermarket or Bakers Delight, I looked for other local bakery options and found one which is sourdough focused, they sell out of a small shed and while you can get an idea of items from their website, it's best to go see what they have on any particular day - Ket Baker

tomatoes from a vendor in Subi that sells nothing but tomatoes at the market. great to support local but even better when local sells the best quality.
300 yards away we have a great bakery, barrista, mechanic, auto electrician, dog park, doggie day care, seafood supplier etc......so most of our needs are catered for local.
I'd only shop at a coles or woolies once or twice a year. I always regret the decision as I stand there waiting for a 17 year on $20 an hour. Essentially Coles takes the position your time is worth less than a 17yo.

tomatoes from a vendor in Subi that sells nothing but tomatoes at the market. great to support local but even better when local sells the best quality.
300 yards away we have a great bakery, barrista, mechanic, auto electrician, dog park, doggie day care, seafood supplier etc......so most of our needs are catered for local.
I'd only shop at a coles or woolies once or twice a year. I always regret the decision as I stand there waiting for a 17 year on $20 an hour. Essentially Coles takes the position your time is worth less than a 17yo.
Damn i love tomatoes. I pick tomatoes out of salads- or put a tonne In. The um... mini roma? The ones shaped like little footballs are my fave. So much better than cherry.

sourdough pasta, sweet and savoury pastries

I went to a local bakery - The Bakers Den, a couple of times early last year (before all the covid stuff), and then when we went into the first lot of restrictions in March/April, they started a free home delivery service so you could get bread, pies, hot cross buns, slices and milk etc without having to go out.

That's something I made use of a bit at the start (until about Easter), then started making weekly (or more) trips as they also have really good coffee and are sooooo affordable

They (unfortunately) closed for a couple of weeks over the Christmas/New Year period but rather than defaulting just to the supermarket or Bakers Delight, I looked for other local bakery options and found one which is sourdough focused, they sell out of a small shed and while you can get an idea of items from their website, it's best to go see what they have on any particular day - Ket Baker
You should give me some tips where to get some good local produce. Can put it in the esky on way back home. Somewhere IN geelonh tho. Dont want to deviate too much

Not so much the brick & mortar small business, nor local, but I bought Australian during those Bandcamp Fridays all through last year as my way of helping struggling musicians in trying times. A lot of creative talents out there giving us joy but hit hardest.

My current town it is far easier to do the Woolies thing, my street is an island and don't have that local shopping strip in walking distance, but with cheaper fuel of late and cars needing a decent spin at least once or twice a week I occasionally drive to other towns to check out their bakeries, fish n chips, tourist sites, libraries, IGAs, nature walks, etc.

None of the supermarkets up here have self-serve checkouts yet, cuz jobs. Which I hate. Sick of seeing the same people at the checkouts after several years in the ACT/NSW with mostly self-serve. But lots of old Anglos in this area. Unless over-the-counter or more expensive/complex merch, self-serve in big retail is the way to go. At least smaller businesses usually only have a couple staff that take pride in their business, easier to small talk then and be happy to do it, compared to some poor checkout girl doing a job you'd rather do yourself.

Last edited:
You should give me some tips where to get some good local produce. Can put it in the esky on way back home. Somewhere IN geelonh tho. Dont want to deviate too much

Wallington's WRG has been open since 2004, but early December they opened a new part in their store called Wallington's Local Pantry and while it's not a big section in their business, it's focused on selling products local to the Bellarine Peninsular - this includes things such as olive oils, honeys, pastas, spreads, they have a fridge section for meats & cheeses, plus fresh produce etc.

The honey I got from there is really nice

This is their Instagram page - https://www.instagram.com/wallingtonslocalpantry/?hl=en

It doesn't necessarily have a massive range, but it's focus is on genuine local - not sure how much of a deviation it would require from your normal driving route, but Ket Baker for sour dough and their other products is across the road

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallington's WRG has been open since 2004, but early December they opened a new part in their store called Wallington's Local Pantry and while it's not a big section in their business, it's focused on selling products local to the Bellarine Peninsular - this includes things such as olive oils, honeys, pastas, spreads, they have a fridge section for meats & cheeses, plus fresh produce etc.

The honey I got from there is really nice

This is their Instagram page - https://www.instagram.com/wallingtonslocalpantry/?hl=en

It doesn't necessarily have a massive range, but it's focus is on genuine local - not sure how much of a deviation it would require from your normal driving route, but Ket Baker for sour dough and their other products is across the road
Hate honey. Everything else tho definitely. Esp pasta and cheese.

Thanks! Will check it out

Hate honey. Everything else tho definitely. Esp pasta and cheese.

Thanks! Will check it out

Apparently honey can be good to help reduce hayfever symptoms - When a person eats local honey, they are thought to be ingesting local pollen. Over time, a person may become less sensitive to this pollen. As a result, they may experience fewer seasonal allergy symptoms.

But if you don't like honey then that doesn't really help; though it's good for those who do like honey and have trouble with things like hayfever

Apparently honey can be good to help reduce hayfever symptoms - When a person eats local honey, they are thought to be ingesting local pollen. Over time, a person may become less sensitive to this pollen. As a result, they may experience fewer seasonal allergy symptoms.

But if you don't like honey then that doesn't really help; though it's good for those who do like honey and have trouble with things like hayfever
Yes iam totally aware of that.

But yeah i cant stand it- within a recipe like a muesli maybe. But not on its own or as a spread yek

Yes iam totally aware of that.

But yeah i cant stand it- within a recipe like a muesli maybe. But not on its own or as a spread yek

Not even as Yiaourti me meli for breakfast

iu

Im sorry my taste buds do not enjoy honey.

FWIW theres other good foods for hayfever- garlic and apples for two.

And foods to avoid like the plague during the season- red wine, and to a lesser extent white, beer... basically any clear liquor is good for you! Go nuts on the vodka or tequila :thumbsupv1:

Re other local businesses. Since covid I have been more aware, srsly. I used to always go Coles because its "easier". I'll still do my massive 4 times yearly home delivery (just staples- heavy stuff i cant be bothered lugging up the 3 flights of stairs myself)- but in terms of fruit, vegetables- even candy. I will aim to buy local from now on. (I dont buy meat, hardly ever- so butchers dont really apply to me..)

A hydrometer for my home brew kit, got one for Xmas and fu**in broke it. Think stuff like home brew stuff is good to buy locally and get some tips, like going to your local fishing shop I reckon.

Oh, I haven't been into a home brew shop for sooooo long. But they were great places for advice and tips. Almost a support group!

I remember talking to one bloke - just another dude wandering around - I was looking at the 5L keg gear and told him it was because I had 2 25L fermenters and bottling 100+ stubbies was tedious. He mentioned to me that he put 3' of clear hose between the fermenter tap and the bottling valve, which meant he didn't have to lift up, fill and put back down every stubbie. Had them all in a crate and just worked the valve across them all. Total game changer! Not something you'd find out from Big W

Remove this Banner Ad

Back