What was the last thing you bought from a local small business

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, I haven't been into a home brew shop for sooooo long. But they were great places for advice and tips. Almost a support group!

I remember talking to one bloke - just another dude wandering around - I was looking at the 5L keg gear and told him it was because I had 2 25L fermenters and bottling 100+ stubbies was tedious. He mentioned to me that he put 3' of clear hose between the fermenter tap and the bottling valve, which meant he didn't have to lift up, fill and put back down every stubbie. Had them all in a crate and just worked the valve across them all. Total game changer! Not something you'd find out from Big W

Maybe I'll invest in some hose then, good idea that.

Yeah was great going into the shop, I'm going to try and perfect a normal lager then try some other s**t, he's got all the hops and s**t there so can't wait to stuff around. Think I need a few more fermenters.

Most of the beer I buy is from local small businesses and from independent breweries in the first instance.

I don't get a lot of take away food, I'd rather just wander up and have a quick pub meal than eat a soggy chicken parma from a brown paper bag. Depressing going to a restaurant with 2 or 3 tables out of 20 being used and a bunch of dudes waiting around at the counter to collect delivery orders.

When I do get takeaway, I get off my lazy arse and get it myself. Uber Eats is a cancer to small businesses. A $20 pizza is roughly going to end up $27 with $7 to the driver, $13 to the pizza shop and $7 to Uber. A $20 pizza direct from the shop is $20 and it all goes to them.

Not specifically small business focused, but I do try and get made/grown in Australia when it's available. Unless it's rice, which is dumb to grow here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you sit with kranskys?
tenor.gif

Not specifically small business focused, but I do try and get made/grown in Australia when it's available. Unless it's rice, which is dumb to grow here.

I joined a Facebook group about March to support Australian grown/made and Australian owned products. It was amazing, it really took off and gained nearly 200k members in just a few weeks. The number of boutique outlets and local suppliers was staggering. Unfortunately it was too late for Ozenuts peanuts, Woolies had dropped them at the end of 2019 and the owner didn't have enough orders for the manufacturer to make it. Lost his house, I believe. :( Anyway, the admins started promoting businesses that were only marginally Australian, such as the supplier of a range of canned/jarred food to Woolworths. Made a big thing about being Aussie family owned, yada yada. There was only *one* product, a particular type of olive, that was Australian and everything else in their extensive range was 100% imported. I raised that small point and was promptly kicked and blocked from the group.

I still look at the labels and will always buy the ones with most Aussie content. Meat especially. IGA yesterday, ham on special, marked down to $19 a kilo, 30% Australian (presumably local brine they inject to bring the weight up). Nonna's ham, 100% Australian, regular price $17 a kilo. No contest.

I had it a few times for breakfast in Turkey and Greece

I used to eat the gyros with chips in Greece for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they were good value for around a dollar a pop, the backpacker's special.

I used to eat the gyros with chips in Greece for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they were good value for around a dollar a pop, the backpacker's special.
I tried that for the first time a few weeks back
I wasnt a fan the chips took away from the meat/spice flavour
Maybe they didnt do it right ???

In Greece the first time it was lamb gyros everywhere then when they joined the EU they had to sell more lamb and buy more pork so it was pork gyros everywhere
No chips that I noticed ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back