What was the last thing you bought from a local small business

Remove this Banner Ad

The ones that were were like souvlakis with chips wrapped in together that you would get from little stalls there, like this.

Gyros-Recipe-1.jpg
Lol i mean what kind of meat did you prefer- or all of them

I joined a Facebook group about March to support Australian grown/made and Australian owned products. It was amazing, it really took off and gained nearly 200k members in just a few weeks. The number of boutique outlets and local suppliers was staggering. Unfortunately it was too late for Ozenuts peanuts, Woolies had dropped them at the end of 2019 and the owner didn't have enough orders for the manufacturer to make it. Lost his house, I believe. :( Anyway, the admins started promoting businesses that were only marginally Australian, such as the supplier of a range of canned/jarred food to Woolworths. Made a big thing about being Aussie family owned, yada yada. There was only *one* product, a particular type of olive, that was Australian and everything else in their extensive range was 100% imported. I raised that small point and was promptly kicked and blocked from the group.

I still look at the labels and will always buy the ones with most Aussie content. Meat especially. IGA yesterday, ham on special, marked down to $19 a kilo, 30% Australian (presumably local brine they inject to bring the weight up). Nonna's ham, 100% Australian, regular price $17 a kilo. No contest.

Fresh meat is easy to come by. Chicken, lamb, beef, pork - even the cheap stuff it's rare to find that it's not a product of Australia.

Processed meat, * me. Didn't think it would be that hard to get Aussie bacon. Only one I know I can get that's 100% Australian pork comes from the British Sausage, Ham and Bacon Company and the irony isn't lost on me.

Food labelling is generally OK. Though it does get confusing if you are looking at something like bacon which you would assume is just a product of a place and it says it is 68% Australian.

I know a guy that works for one of the boot manufacturers and he was saying they sell some varieties that qualify as 'Australian Made' and they choose not to use that logo as they are made overseas from overseas materials and there's only some minor change that is done here. Which is good that they are honest about it, but concerning that the bar is set so low.

Lol i mean what kind of meat did you prefer- or all of them

Chicken, lamb, beef or it could have been goat for all I cared, I was usually either drunk/hungover when I ate them so I wasn't fussy what meat it was.

Do cafes count? If not, then I have no ******* idea. Maybe a bottle of water so I was able to withdraw cash.

I used to eat the gyros with chips in Greece for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they were good value for around a dollar a pop, the backpacker's special.
Yep. Was there a few years ago. They were great for a meal or snack. About $2 or $3 each (I Aussie dollars)

Mainly pork or chicken as well which I found interesting

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Fresh meat is easy to come by. Chicken, lamb, beef, pork - even the cheap stuff it's rare to find that it's not a product of Australia.

Processed meat, fu** me. Didn't think it would be that hard to get Aussie bacon. Only one I know I can get that's 100% Australian pork comes from the British Sausage, Ham and Bacon Company and the irony isn't lost on me.

Food labelling is generally OK. Though it does get confusing if you are looking at something like bacon which you would assume is just a product of a place and it says it is 68% Australian.

I know a guy that works for one of the boot manufacturers and he was saying they sell some varieties that qualify as 'Australian Made' and they choose not to use that logo as they are made overseas from overseas materials and there's only some minor change that is done here. Which is good that they are honest about it, but concerning that the bar is set so low.

The above sounds so familiar - I've always tried to buy product of Australia stuff, and processed meat has always been a frustration, especially processed pork products which all too often are like "30% Australian" and I just refuse to buy anything like that

I've since found 2 brands of bacon that are predominantly Australian (98%) - British Sausage Co, and their smoked rindless bacon is really nice, and the other one is Bertocchi Gold. Just be careful with the Bertocchi Gold as they have 4 options in that range and only 2 are Australian, but they clearly advise which ones are the local

With ham, I always look for the highest percentage of Australian and won't buy anything under about 95%

The above sounds so familiar - I've always tried to buy product of Australia stuff, and processed meat has always been a frustration, especially processed pork products which all too often are like "30% Australian" and I just refuse to buy anything like that

I've since found 2 brands of bacon that are predominantly Australian (98%) - British Sausage Co, and their smoked rindless bacon is really nice, and the other one is Bertocchi Gold. Just be careful with the Bertocchi Gold as they have 4 options in that range and only 2 are Australian, but they clearly advise which ones are the local

With ham, I always look for the highest percentage of Australian and won't buy anything under about 95%
With pork if it has a bone its 100% Australian without it could be Australian Canadian Or Danish

With pork if it has a bone its 100% Australian without it could be Australian Canadian Or Danish
I heard that a few years ago, so if I'm buying shaved ham from the deli, I always look for the one that's shaved off the bone, rather than the deli ham products which seem to have a round look to them

Didn't think it would be that hard to get Aussie bacon. Only one I know I can get that's 100% Australian pork comes from the British Sausage, Ham and Bacon Company and the irony isn't lost on me.

Bertocchi Gold Aussie Bacon. You can get it in most supermarkets but you have to watch out for similarly labelled Bertocchi products. Easy mistake to make.

Edit: thanks cats_09 you got in first

I have long been an advocate of the
made in australia2.jpg
labelling being introduced in other places, specifically NZ. We get a lot of stuff here labelled "Product of NZ" that is just bottled or packaged in NZ from imported ingredients. Good on your bootmakers for sticking up for what is right.

I belonged to the Australian only page for a while - not sure if it was the same one but left not long after joining when I realised it was basically a platform for redneck racists and Karen’s with too much spare time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I belonged to the Australian only page for a while - not sure if it was the same one but left not long after joining when I realised it was basically a platform for redneck racists and Karen’s with too much spare time
Lmao. Was it BYO white hood or did they provide those for you??

Nah, wouldn't have been it. It was wall-to-wall Karens with a newly joined one posting breathlessly about having just discovered this wonderful garlic salt from Weyhill Farms every three hours. Maybe it was the same one and redneck racists joined after I'd been booted?

They did have some funny policies - I love Nerada tea, grown on the Atherton tableland in FNQ. It was deemed a s**t product and not to be recommended because it was owned by foreigners - yes, Australian expats now living in Malaysia.

Lmao. Was it BYO white hood or did they provide those for you??

it was truly awful - I really struggle a) in understanding how some people think and b) keeping my mouth shut, so it was easier to just leave.

I still think a yes or no is not that hard. And a no im not coming on the day. All good though, I’ll never invite those people again. I’m not into rude people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back