What was the last thing you bought from a local small business

A good independant butcher is worth their weight in gold (or meat).

Sadly not all independent butchers are good.

But if you've got a good'n, yeah order of magnitude better than supermarket fare
I reckon theyre good. And super friendly.

Unlike those prick bastards atthe fruit shop next door

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whats flank. Forward flank?

Very popular out Tullamarine way I hear.

Few people out there even prefer flanks to mids, if you would believe that! One in particular if the main bored is anything to go on.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
The only local-local butcher is literally next to Woolies in the shopping centre. The meat looks nice but is anything up to twice Woolies prices, even snags. So I don't go there.

I don't know why I posted this; apart from the odd treat of bacon I get my meat from pies, tins of tuna or sliced deli meats a couple of times a fortnight. Damn I could murder a medium rare steak right now. Steak, eggs, chips, mushrooms, salad (no dressing thanks) and a gravy boat of pepper sauce. Mmmmhmmm.

The meat at the supermarket style section where everything is cut and packed is good, but the meat in the new(ish) gourmet butcher section... wowee.

I like that so much of their stuff is sourced locally.

If I lived down there it’s not a shop you could “pop” into for a couple of items - think the cheapest I’ve ever walked away with was $100 spend

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I like that so much of their stuff is sourced locally.

If I lived down there it’s not a shop you could “pop” into for a couple of items - think the cheapest I’ve ever walked away with was $100 spend

Yep, and produce is advertised as such. Myalup carrots, Manjimup apples etc not just 'WA'.

Was there last week and spent close to $100 - and I only got about $20 of meat...

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
250 grams of Sumac from a spice merchant in Brisbyland

Cant get it for love nor money really locally

The only local-local butcher is literally next to Woolies in the shopping centre. The meat looks nice but is anything up to twice Woolies prices, even snags. So I don't go there.

I don't know why I posted this; apart from the odd treat of bacon I get my meat from pies, tins of tuna or sliced deli meats a couple of times a fortnight. Damn I could murder a medium rare steak right now. Steak, eggs, chips, mushrooms, salad (no dressing thanks) and a gravy boat of pepper sauce. Mmmmhmmm.

A typical approach of the duopoly (Coles\Woolies)
Undercut the local butcher and fruit & veg until they go, then jack up local prices
You were aware their is no uniform national pricing in the majors aren't you?

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes. I saw an altercation a year or so back between a spotty teenager in a Woolies shirt and the owner of the fruit shop a few doors down, the former (one presumed Just Following Orders) was writing prices down.

Scumbags, the lot of them. Mind you, it's been going on forever.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes. I saw an altercation a year or so back between a spotty teenager in a Woolies shirt and the owner of the fruit shop a few doors down, the former (one presumed Just Following Orders) was writing prices down.

Scumbags, the lot of them. Mind you, it's been going on forever.

Sucks for the small fruit shop but Coles, Woolies and co do this to each other all the time. I would rather see some competition between than than none given the market power they have.

Mind you, I haven't bought more than about $5-10 in fruit and veg from a supermarket for many years. The prices are rarely that cheap, the quality is rarely good and they are dicks to the fruit and vege growers... vote with your feet people.

Back