Strategy What went wrong...what's fixable sooner rather than later?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty simple. Everything had to go right for us to contend and it didn't.

We played crap teams up to Round 10, but by the time we had our run against the best we were missing close to half the side. We couldn't afford a bad year with injury.

Confidence was shot and it fell away from there.
For all the angst, this is exactly it. Everything had to go right.

Circumstances might even have done us a favour in the longer term by forcing the issue with a few list decisions.

For all the angst, this is exactly it. Everything had to go right.

Circumstances might even have done us a favour in the longer term by forcing the issue with a few list decisions.

Agree with the former. The bold is a positive spin (and I agree in the long term it may be for the best) but I honestly believe this is one of the weakest (or most even, it's all perspective) years for quite a while. This one was gettable IMHO.

For me it all comes down to lack of run.

If our mids were faster and fitter they'd be able to get to more contests, spread better from contests, run defensively to clog up the backline and put better pressure on their ball carriers, if you're a better runner you're not so tired when getting the ball and so your disposal isn't so fatigue-affected.

If our forwards were better runners then they'd be able to make repeat leads (see how hard Nick Riewoldt works) and get free. Don't have to be an elite kick to hit somebody in space.

Its alright to have a few players who are a bit slower if they make up with it in other aspects of the game but almost a third of our team is glacial. Its the reason Gibson has lasted so long and why Wood and Clarke stood out like dog's balls when they made the squad. Pure gut-running.

We need a Coach Carter style start to next season. Run, run, run and if you can't then you don't play. Simple.

For me it all comes down to lack of run.

If our mids were faster and fitter they'd be able to get to more contests, spread better from contests, run defensively to clog up the backline and put better pressure on their ball carriers, if you're a better runner you're not so tired when getting the ball and so your disposal isn't so fatigue-affected.

If our forwards were better runners then they'd be able to make repeat leads (see how hard Nick Riewoldt works) and get free. Don't have to be an elite kick to hit somebody in space.

Its alright to have a few players who are a bit slower if they make up with it in other aspects of the game but almost a third of our team is glacial. Its the reason Gibson has lasted so long and why Wood and Clarke stood out like dog's balls when they made the squad. Pure gut-running.

We need a Coach Carter style start to next season. Run, run, run and if you can't then you don't play. Simple.

If we assume all the players are fully fit then their lack of run is either mental or part of the team plan.

One thing is for sure. When we're playing poorly there's a noticeable lack of run across the board and with the lack of run comes a lack of options.

I'm not convinced it's entirely or mostly about lack of run or that better runners will necessarily help 'enough'.

What stands out when we play teams like Sydney, West Coast and Hawthorn is that our skills in tight are just not good enough. Putting a handball in front of a teammate running into space is really what matters. This doesn't require pace but is a combination of three things (1) picking up the ball cleanly (not fumbling) (2) evading a tackle and handballing and (3) handballing to a point where your teammate is running - not at where the teammate is standing right now! When they have the ball, it requires (1) making the tackles stick and (2) blocking the run of opposition mids running to space.

To my mind most of our mids are borderline fails at all three of these skills. Wells is the only standout we have in these areas. Cunnington is the best of the rest, but this year he has been up and down, and doesn't seem to offer as much defensively as say Swallow.

I agree that the worst combo is Swallow, Ziebs and Cunnington because they can't seem to defend the best teams - unless they hit that first tackle.

The only answer I can see is to keep mixing the midfield up until we can find some better balanced combinations - Atley, McDonald, Lindsay, Anderson, ???

I'm not convinced it's entirely or mostly about lack of run or that better runners will necessarily help 'enough'.

What stands out when we play teams like Sydney, West Coast and Hawthorn is that our skills in tight are just not good enough. Putting a handball in front of a teammate running into space is really what matters. This doesn't require pace but is a combination of three things (1) picking up the ball cleanly (not fumbling) (2) evading a tackle and handballing and (3) handballing to a point where your teammate is running - not at where the teammate is standing right now! When they have the ball, it requires (1) making the tackles stick and (2) blocking the run of opposition mids running to space.

To my mind most of our mids are borderline fails at all three of these skills. Wells is the only standout we have in these areas. Cunnington is the best of the rest, but this year he has been up and down, and doesn't seem to offer as much defensively as say Swallow.

I agree that the worst combo is Swallow, Ziebs and Cunnington because they can't seem to defend the best teams - unless they hit that first tackle.

The only answer I can see is to keep mixing the midfield up until we can find some better balanced combinations - Atley, McDonald, Lindsay, Anderson, ???

I have to agree - it was really noticeable against GWS how much better their handballing in close was. Quick, low, sharp handballs in the contest to get it clear. Sydney also kill us with this. I can understand not all players will have good awareness in traffic, that is a rare skill. But executing a 5-10m handpass is something every player should be able to do. I suspect we don't drill this particular skill enough (pure speculation, I've never been to training). But it was night and day compared to GWS. We should be excellent at it, based on our contested game style. Atley, for one, is a shocking handballer and I can't accept that at AFL level.

I have a theory that this applies to our training in general - I think we are well drilled in our game style, but I wonder if we drill the basics enough. I suspect the balance between fundamentals and strategy/tactics is not right. I would like this to be an area of change over the summer.

I think Drew and BB are actually excellent runners - but I think the forward line is probably our biggest problem. They are both good at getting back and providing a marking option from our defensive 50. But they are both pretty slow on the lead and can't do anything in a congested forward line. Waite I think was such a big loss for us this year because he is quick off the mark and unpredictable - he can make things happen. We need more creative forwards - and we lost what we have with Waite and Garner. I think Mason will be a good inclusion next year, I pray Garner gets a run at it - I think both those players can create opportunities in the air and off the ground. I can't say I'm excited about the prospect of Chris Mayne, but I think I get why the club wants that type of player. Surely the triple towers is dead, we need a much more dynamic forward line. Congested forward lines are a reality of the competition - you try your best to avoid it with good movement, but sometimes you are gonna have to go through it.

The other major point that I think everyone recognises is the midfield mix. We need more run. The club has tried to fix this, as we have thrown big dollars at Hartlett, Treloar, Hannebery and no doubt others I've forgotten. Obviously it didn't work out. Ryan Clarke is looking good, Trent Dumont has a better tank than Ziebs and Cunners. I think Dal leaving really opens things up for Dumont, and I'm excited about him. I get the impression he has a bit more campaigner in him than your average Roos player, and he is prepared to take the responsibility of kicking a goal. With Clarke, Dumont and Jacobs all in the mix we have a bit more run through the middle. Next year is exciting for me, it will certainly be a new look team.

Bugger I've gone on for ages again.

I actually think the "don't blame injuries" thing hurt us psychologically. It could have been used not as an excuse but as a way of building confidence. Saying to the group that a bunch of our best players are out but we still stuck with the best sides in the comp and you just wait until we get everyone back.
Yep, we should have been #sobrave too! Half-joking. It may have, like you said, been better to acknowledge the s**t luck.

And everyone else on our list who isn't a key position player (and even some of them ie Daw) needs to get experience and be able to run through the midfield. Even if it's just for 5 to 10 minutes per game. Will help with flexibility and changing things up when they're not going or way.

I think our biggest issue is the complete lack of gears. We never change our style of play during a game. Against the lower teams we are a high scoring team who lets them worry about our strengths. Against the better teams we are a defensive minded slow moving team who shut the game down and rarely score. We have no ability to recognise when to shift up a gear, seize the initiative and create scoreboard pressure. We play war of attrition and we invariably lose because it's impossible to maintain for 100 minutes against good sides.
When we come up against a side having an off day (Hawks, Swans come to mind) we don't put them away because we don't score enough to shut them out of the game.
We are completely predictable. Even to the point of beating the teams below us and losing to the teams above us.

no plan B, no guy runners apart from Gibbo who isn't lethal with his skills, too many similar type players in the middle, no flexibility with our players, defensive pressure has been average at times, no younger players or middle age players stepped up, senior players been average at times and injuries didn't help.
A lot to fix but need the players to fix it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our true chance was last year, but we just fell short in WA. This year's plan was ok regards to attacking the first half of the draw, but there was no risk management towards the over 30's & key personal injuries

Our true chance was last year, but we just fell short in WA. This year's plan was ok regards to attacking the first half of the draw, but there was no risk management towards the over 30's & key personal injuries
Bullshit. What do you call Farren Ray?! ;)

Wonder whether we also became a club of individual achievements at the end, Boomers game, Drews 300, Jmacs 100th, maybe the club turned the season into a milestone year rather than concentrating on winning games, concentrated on making money rather than picking the best team and winning games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back