Strategy What went wrong yesterday & Blueprint for success - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters is the only guy in the league that you'd expect to kick 30+ goals as a pure crumber. These days with transition and a less certain starting point, forwards need to be able to handle themselves in the air and on the deck.

You need to be able to lead but it needs to be be your 2nd option not your default setting like fas and elliott, maybe i'm not explaining myself correctly.

E.Betts is already on 28...His default is to crumb using leading as his other trick, often can capitalise off his own aerial mistakes on ground.
Bruest and Rioli both capable of 30+ years if played more stay at home fP like in their early careers.

Think L.Davis (E.Betts, Rioli, Garlett) then Medhurst (Elliott and Faz).
Hopefully that clears it up.

Why would we trade Brown? Wouldn't trade any of those players for those picks.

I guess there are questions about whether Brown has the pace and athleticism for the modern game. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him. But I don't think we can expect much more than those picks for those players. Maybe a bit more for Witts?

I guess there are questions about whether Brown has the pace and athleticism for the modern game. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him. But I don't think we can expect much more than those picks for those players. Maybe a bit more for Witts?
IMO we don't trade Witts for less than a first rounder unless he asks to leave and is out of contract.

You need to be able to lead but it needs to be be your 2nd option not your default setting like fas and elliott, maybe i'm not explaining myself correctly.

E.Betts is already on 28...His default is to crumb using leading as his other trick, often can capitalise off his own aerial mistakes on ground.
Bruest and Rioli both capable of 30+ years if played more stay at home fP like in their early careers.

Think L.Davis (E.Betts, Rioli, Garlett) then Medhurst (Elliott and Faz).
Hopefully that clears it up.

I see it similarly, but to me Betts, Bruest and Rioli get a lot of their goals as a kicking target, as opposed to getting the vast majority of their goals as front and centre crumbers - but agree that they are significantly better crumbers than our guys.

Walters is the only guy in the league that you'd expect to kick 30+ goals as a pure crumber. These days with transition and a less certain starting point, forwards need to be able to handle themselves in the air and on the deck.
How about we trade for Walters or Ballantyne? I expect the dockers would give up the pest before Walters. Imagine the pest playing for us, so many Medhurst moments coming flooding back. Trade for Ballantyne and draft a couple of indigenous kids for a change.

What went wrong? It's hard to say.

Unavailable:

Adams Moore Fasolo Elliott Swan Langdon Broomhead Ramsay Scharenberg Williams (res) Goldsack (res) Thomas (ban) Keeffe (ban)

You had me until Thomas and Keeffe.

Listed players unavailable, yes their toot was mixed with sweet but considering they are likely to be the only players in history to miss that way I felt it justified.

Good to see you posting again mate. Keep fighting the good fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we trade for Walters or Ballantyne? I expect the dockers would give up the pest before Walters. Imagine the pest playing for us, so many Medhurst moments coming flooding back. Trade for Ballantyne and draft a couple of indigenous kids for a change.

I reckon that we should get Fasolo, Elliott and Swan fit, add a combination of Moore, Cox, Cloke and White - gun forwardline.

Problem is we are paying $400k+ for this type of bloke & Greenwood can't kick.
What's worse is he doesn't even look when he's kicking a lot of the time.
That takes special talent - the 'no look hand pass' is one thing; but the 'no look kick' - only the special ones can pull that off! :p

That takes special talent - the 'no look hand pass' is one thing; but the 'no look kick' - only the special ones can pull that off! :p
It reminds me a bit of my cricket career, which went nowhere.

Shutty eye, hitty hard.

Frost and Brown are attracting a bit of discussion. Of the two, Brown is far the better footballer, but is older and of questionable build for many forwards. He has had some form problems of late too, but I still think that he is our best full back option.
Frost has a great attack on the football, but lacks confidence in his marking and kicking. I thought that these were both improving but they have been set back again. His biggest faults are a tendency to panic when he gets the ball in tight, made worse by current holding the ball interpretations (of which I thoroughly approve) and very fumbly hands. All of the other faults he has can be dealt with, but the last one will, I think, cruel his football career. If Keeffe can show something like his previous form when he comes back, then Frost probably has a limited future at Collingwood. Marsh will likely take most games from him.

I see it similarly, but to me Betts, Bruest and Rioli get a lot of their goals as a kicking target, as opposed to getting the vast majority of their goals as front and centre crumbers - but agree that they are significantly better crumbers than our guys.

One thing we didn't go into is people focus a lot on their pure goal scored and not as much on goals "created", a lot of the best crumbers not only hit the score board directly but set up goals through getting that front and centre crumb and dishing off.

We don't need another tall to support Moore and Cox. We actually need some half decent crumbers (preferably two).

With the way they both at least bring the ball to ground do you really think they would be flying in the marking contest if there were Rioli, Breust, Puopolo types front and centre.
Thats why someone like blair shd not b in the team . He shd b someone crumbing and kicking goals . All does at best is lay a few tackles and hes untouchable never gets ddropped one of bucks favs dont know why or what theyv got going.

Thats why someone like blair shd not b in the team . He shd b someone crumbing and kicking goals . All does at best is lay a few tackles and hes untouchable never gets ddropped one of bucks favs dont know why or what theyv got going.
Harsh and very underrated. Not denying that we could do with a crumber but Blair has shown a lot more then you make him to be.

Didn't see anything of this weeks game, but from what I've read a week makes a big difference. One of his best games to one of his worst?

For mine it's much if a muchness between Frost and Brown with slight variations to their strengths and weaknesses. I think Marsh
isn't quite big enough for full back.

I would have traded Frost and re-drafted Hartley last year, but that horse has bolted. However while Keeffe is hardly an upgrade we wouldn't lose much, so for 2017 I'd let go whichever of Brown or Frost gives us better value in return. My preference would be to keep Brown.
Keefe is a bloody good player,esp with his combo of great height and athleticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back