What/ when is the tipping point?

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowMike

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
When or what will occur that is so bad that immediate change is to occur. Fagan and Roo have already stated that they aren't going anywhere. I can't see a scenario where Nicks goes, but does 0-17 force all ours hands?

When or what will occur that is so bad that immediate change is to occur. Fagan and Roo have already stated that they aren't going anywhere. I can't see a scenario where Nicks goes, but does 0-17 force all ours hands?

Change in power at board level. Fagan and Roo both serve at the pleasure of the board. This is why Chappy and Jimbo have been working so hard to get like minded people to replace them.

In short, no.

If we sack a rookie coach after 1 year, having asked him to rebuild the list, play kids and develop a new game plan under COVID restrictions where the team can't train together for most of the PS, all without what I would call any AFL standard assistant coaches, then Matt Clarke will be our new coach because no one from outside the club would again bother applying for the role.

All this while you have 3 years of draft picks, none of who have played 20 games before the start of the season due to the culture of mediocrity that is 'make the finals and anything can happen' and focus no off-field over on-field. Meanwhile we a board member who gives the players an ultimatum about going to into hubs and still have the guy who thought Brett Burton would be 'one of the elite football managers' and welcomed back Steven Trigg after he was responsible for destroying the club, at the helm.

If we actually recruit some decent assistant coaches, get the players fit, lose the constant off field distraction that is Roo, Jameson and get a decent leader as Chair, then might start to win a few games.

Our first 100+ point loss will start the critical momentum. Also, the VicMedia are about 1-2 weeks away from collectively realising it's an absolute lock for us to not win a game this year, which will spark a slew of articles comparing us to Fitzroy etc. A 100 point loss on top of that will make it impossible for the current setup to continue, just on the sheer volume of negative publicity alone - a lamb must be sacrificed to generate the perception change is afoot.

Change in power at board level. Fagan and Roo both serve at the pleasure of the board. This is why Chappy and Jimbo have been working so hard to get like minded people to replace them.
The AFL would be very worried about our club. The only way Chapman and Riccuito and Hazel for that matter will be shown the door is if the Afl decides to fix the club. They own the licence and by extension have caused the mess through their inaction. Will also require afc members to write to the Afl for them to deal with it now.

Our first 100+ point loss will start the critical momentum. Also, the VicMedia are about 1-2 weeks away from collectively realising it's an absolute lock for us to not win a game this year, which will spark a slew of articles comparing us to Fitzroy etc. A 100 point loss on top of that will make it impossible for the current setup to continue, just on the sheer volume of negative publicity alone - a lamb must be sacrificed to generate the perception change is afoot.
So the tipping point is the Geelong game, unless they rest/manage half their side?

First-off, anyone thinking this isn't going to be a 0-17 season is delusional. It's a lock. So, the tipping point is now.

There is no way our squad is 3 games and (more alarmingly) 30 percentage points less talented than the 17th-placed team. I completely agree that our squad is probably bottom-5 in terms of pure talent, but I refuse to concede it's much less talented than Sydney's, or North's, or Freo's. With every passing match it is becoming clear that this is mainly about our incompetent coaching group. An experienced, smart coaching team would have extracted at least 2-4 wins by now (as Longmuir/Longmire, for example, have).

Can that lamb be Chappy please?

What we are seeing is the results of a clueless club governance and management. That anyone in charge of a club can let it get this bad and hide behind “rebuilding” is incompetence in the extreme.

The tipping point will be next season. I don’t know what club sponsorships are due for renewal but why would you want your corporate image aligned with this shower?

Then crowds will drop off. If no COVID we’d be getting less than 40,000 for sure. Corporate hospitality drops off.

Fages, Roo and Chappy seem to think this is something that can be turned off and on. They are so wrong it’s not funny. We are stinky. And it’s only going to get stinkier.

we are in a journey and if we chicken out part way through this transformation chasing short term sugar fixes will only delay returning to strength.

I think there will be no trigger for change, but rather an erosion of belief over time, followed by incremental changes. Eg coaching, trading, senior leadership positions.

We can’t sack a rookie coach when we have him a turd sandwich for lunch. He needs at least 2 full pre seasons first, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL would be very worried about our club. The only way Chapman and Riccuito and Hazel for that matter will be shown the door is if the Afl decides to fix the club. They own the licence and by extension have caused the mess through their inaction. Will also require afc members to write to the Afl for them to deal with it now.

I think Kelley going public forces Chappy out. Prior to that we were being fed names that said no, which was Chappy setting up to stay. That's dead and buried now. They're both done.

To be honest, part of me hopes that we go 0-17 this year.

I think that the club made the mistake of believing that they could get away with surrounding Nicks with dud assistants and thought we'd still be able to manage to scrape out 6-7 wins this year

For years the club has gotten away with cutting corners and under spending in terms of coaching and it's never came back to bite us, but it finally looks like it has now.

Maybe the lasting embarrassment from this may prove to be the wake up call that the club desperately needs.

The only worthwhile statement mentioned in that outburst was:

.. "whether it’s recruitment, development, coaching, fitness, PPT and the leaders – I’d put a bomb under the whole lot.”

Scathing.

Nice to see people who usually are measured on comments on the state of the club now being fed up and telling it like it is.

Last edited:
Poor kicking has cost us 3 games really. Sydney, Freo and another one, forget who. We are now the Gold Coast / GWS in their early days. They didnt sack everyone in an instant and I dont expect Adelaide to do so mid season. Sacking people at the top does not change Seed missing a sitter, Murphy not making 40m, Crouch turning the ball over, Hartigan giving away a dumb free, Tex jumping with one hand.

I hope big changes come in the off season. I hope there are board changes, coaching changes, experienced players paid out, retired and traded, aggressive trades to better our already decent draft position, and 2021 will be more pain. Its quite possible we field a team with as many as 15 players with less than 30 games experience each.

To be honest, part of me hopes that we go 0-17 this year.

I think that the club made the mistake of believing that they could get away with surrounding Nicks with dud assistants and thought we'd still be able to manage to scrape out 6-7 wins this year

For years the club has gotten away with cutting corners and under spending in terms of coaching and it's never came back to bite us, but it finally looks like it has now.

Maybe the lasting embarrassment from this may prove to be the wake up call that the club desperately needs.

The only reason I wish for a 0-17 season is that it will be the legacy of Chappys rein.

It will remain a stain on his and the rest of the board........forever in history and the weasel wont be able to do anything about it.

It's what he and the board deserve.

Last edited:
We can’t sack a rookie coach when we have him a turd sandwich for lunch. He needs at least 2 full pre seasons first, in my opinion.
Sanderson was sacked and Pyke was pushed out because they underperformed, despite being put in horrible positions by the club. Neither performed anywhere nearly as poorly as Nicks even at their worst.

Scathing.

Nice to see people who usually are measured on comments on the state of the club now being fed up and telling it like it is.

According to Rowie they've put in a special request to the club to have Nicks on their program tonight.

It'll be interesting to see whether Nicks will front up or whether the club will protect him.

If we sack a rookie coach after 1 year, having asked him to rebuild the list, play kids and develop a new game plan under COVID restrictions where the team can't train together for most of the PS, all without what I would call any AFL standard assistant coaches, then Matt Clarke will be our new coach because no one from outside the club would again bother applying for the role.

Could not agree more !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back