What/ when is the tipping point?

Remove this Banner Ad

What a sh*t of a year to start a rebuild. With a 1/4 strength football department (and that's being generous). With no senior mentor. With a bunch of broken senior footballers and group of kids who couldn't get a kick under the previous coach. With a Board that desperately needs renewing. With a global pandemic that has completely stuffed up any plans you may have had. Where you can't even train your entire group together at the same time. It really is the pits.

There is no doubt that if we go winless, there will be enormous pressure on Nicks. Having said that... and knowing all the above... it would be a shitty person that sacked him. The bare minimum THEY as a club have to do, is surround this coach with quality people, get the recruiting right and get back to some level of normalcy (which is certainly not guaranteed any time soon). Off load some players, bring some new ones in... and let this coach find his feet. We opted for a new coach (which was odd, given the required rebuild), we've got to be patient (and actually support him!)
To be honest if the club don't do that and I was Nicks, I would quit

What a sh*t of a year to start a rebuild. With a 1/4 strength football department (and that's being generous). With no senior mentor. With a bunch of broken senior footballers and group of kids who couldn't get a kick under the previous coach. With a Board that desperately needs renewing. With a global pandemic that has completely stuffed up any plans you may have had. Where you can't even train your entire group together at the same time. It really is the pits.

There is no doubt that if we go winless, there will be enormous pressure on Nicks. Having said that... and knowing all the above... it would be a shitty person that sacked him. The bare minimum THEY as a club have to do, is surround this coach with quality people, get the recruiting right and get back to some level of normalcy (which is certainly not guaranteed any time soon). Off load some players, bring some new ones in... and let this coach find his feet. We opted for a new coach (which was odd, given the required rebuild), we've got to be patient (and actually support him!)

I can’t wait to see all the photos on the AFC website when players blow off steam post season, travelling to all reaches of the globe state. Stengel, himmelberg and McAdam sitting atop the pirate 🏴‍☠️ ship at St Kilda playground. A couple of lads having a round of golf 🏌️ at the Valley View par 3. McPherson getting in some big game fishing 🎣 at Mannum.

GWS had one win in 2013
2 wins in 2012.

GC had 2 wins in 2012.

Melbourne had 2 wins in 2013

Freo had 2 wins in 2001

So far, we are shitter.
And the bolded ones were full of Kids without any AFL experiences including a few NRL code switchers.

I knew this year was going to be a crap year, the start of a rebuild.

Many scoffed when Fagan said 2019 was the end of a five year plan. But it was.

Think back, Walsh said we would be contenders around 2017. We were. We should have been in 2018 and 19 but weren't due to mis management of the players. Destroying team chemistry and individuals physically in those years.

The club blew it

When Walsh started at the end of 2014, you could sense we were building to something.

2020 was always going to be the start of the next push.

But right now I am struggling to see who our next great players are. And have little faith in the coaching staff and recruiters to build the side to be contenders in 2023 and beyond.

We are a rabble.

I hope I am wrong, but fear I won't be.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2020 is a strange year, especially when i find myself agreeing with some of what Stephen Rowe has to say. #fraudulentfaganout

GWS had one win in 2013
2 wins in 2012.

GC had 2 wins in 2012.

Melbourne had 2 wins in 2013

Freo had 2 wins in 2001

So far, we are shitter.

Fitzroy won 1 game in their final year 1996 (thank god it wasn’t against us).

The players are having a golf day tomorrow for team bonding. Really? You think that is going to make a difference coming up against Geelong this week. FMD!

Last edited:

The players are having a golf day tomorrow for team bonding. Really? You think that is going to make a difference coming up against Geelong this week. FMD!
Honestly at this stage, they have to try something.

We're better than Fitzroy were in 96, but unless we manage to pinch a win then history will recognise us as the worst team in the AFL era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're better than Fitzroy were in 96, but unless we manage to pinch a win then history will recognise us as the worst team in the AFL era.
Are we? Here's the thing - I don't think that we are. I think that objectively, we are worse than Fitzroy of 1996. You could argue our list has more potential and youth than them but our fitness is sub-SANFL standard and we won't win a game this year, even with shorter quarters.

Going winless shouldn't change much. Our problems can't be solved in the space of a season. As a supporter base, we need to excercise some patience as we sail into unknown waters. Rarely do teams in the AFL bottom out and stay that way.

Bottoming out is only as effective as your decision makers. For every Hawthorn and West Coast there is a Melbourne and Carlton.

Tell me, do you have the faith that if our administration is given to keys to a Lamborghini they won't wrap it around the tree on the first drive?

Are we tho?

The quarters this year are 20% shorter and our current % is just above that of Fitzroy.

The percentage doesn't tell the full story as Fitzroy's average losing margin in 1996 was 72 points whereas we're averaging a 36 point loss.

We've lost two games by under a kick and the Sydney game came down to a shot after the siren.

They were the most uncompetitive team I've ever seen fielded and far worse than us.

20200817_215521.jpg

Last edited:
The percentage doesn't tell the full story as Fitzroy's average losing margin in 1996 was 72 points whereas we're averaging a 36 point loss.

We've lost two games by under a kick and the Sydney game came down to a shot after the siren.

They were the most uncompetitive team I've ever seen fielded and far worse than us.

View attachment 938458
That average score against is nuts! Only 3 games less than 100 against

Longer or shorter quarters won’t impact the %

Of course they will.

Have a think about our fitness this year. Longer quarters only means the same percentage if we score at a consistent rate as the opposition in the extra time. I would suggest that we would get heavily outscored, thus greater losing margin, thus worse percentage.

Of course they will.

Have a think about our fitness this year. Longer quarters only means the same percentage if we score at a consistent rate as the opposition in the extra time. I would suggest that we would get heavily outscored, thus greater losing margin, thus worse percentage.
We haven’t been conceding worse in the final minutes of each quarter. Kicked 3 of the last 4 in the final quarter yesterday and the last 3 in the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back