What Will Be The XI For The Aussies For The 2018/19 Series vs India?

Who Wins The Test Series?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup, money talks at the end of the day.

Cricket Australia is a business and leaving Smith out is a bad business decision, especially if we’re gna start losing heavily.

If I had to predict the XI now, I reckon I’d go with:

- Renshaw
- Weatherald
- Maxwell
- Head
- Cartwright
- M. Marsh
- Paine
- Cummins
- Starc
- Hazlewood
- Lyon

Edit: Also wouldn’t be surprised if we gave Jake Doran a go if Cartwright or Head didn’t start the Shield season that well next season.

We said Australia, not Australia A (4 new batsmen from this current line up is an extreme over reaction imho)

Scary to think that it's not out of the realms of possiblity though

Australia

1. Matthew Renshaw
2. Joe Burns
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Glenn Maxwell
5. Shaun Marsh
6. Mitchell Marsh (VC)
7. Tim Paine (C/WK)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

Switch Starc with Sayers to manage the former's injury

India

1. Murali Vijay
2. KL Rahul
3. Che Pujara
4. Virat Kohli (C)
5. Ajinkya Rahane (VC)
6. Hadrik Pandya
7. Ravi Ashwin
8. Wriddhiman Saha (WK)
9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
10. Ishant Sharma
11. Jasprit Bumrah

Shami is really pending allegations

I wouldn't rule out Smith appealing his 12 month th suspension and be back in the test team for the India series.
He will bat at 4 imo.
CA won't defend an appeal I reckon. They won't want him out for next summer. I think they know the ban was over the top.

India certainly will be the favorites for this series as it will possibly be their best chance to win a series down under. Hopefully the pressure of being favorites works in our favour.

Since India will have the upper hand in the batting stakes, I wonder if we will reverse the trend of flat roads and instead produce some greener fast tracks. Maybe we can back our bowlers to blast their bats out for less than what their bowlers get ours. Would certainly be more entertaining than last time they toured here.
I think we would be relying on bounce. If there is movement, even India's seam attack could knock Australia out for under 100. Also, a hole series of three day Tests won't be something favoured by TV networks. (Not sure if CA would have to pay back some of the rights sold in India for days lost.)
Ah, for the old days when there were reasons to believe Australia didn't go for sub-continental style pitch-doctoring.

1. Renshaw
2. Burns
3. Head
4. Maxwell
5. S Marsh
6. M Marsh
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

How can CA magically reduce Smith's ban without looking completely incompetent? They have taken the hard stance and they will lose even more credibility if they change mid suspension. I want Smith to play too but just can't see it happening.

TBH i'm not sure CA have that much credibility to begin with.

Mismanaged the player payments
Mismanaged the new Media rights deal
Mismanaged the suspensions.

Smith will be back in 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner is back too, to be honest.

How can CA magically reduce Smith's ban without looking completely incompetent? They have taken the hard stance and they will lose even more credibility if they change mid suspension. I want Smith to play too but just can't see it happening.

They can leave his international ban as 12 months, but reduce his domestic ban to 6-9 months. This allows him to play games with a view towards selection for the World Cup and Ashes series.

They can leave his international ban as 12 months, but reduce his domestic ban to 6-9 months. This allows him to play games with a view towards selection for the World Cup and Ashes series.

I to think on appeal Smith will be allowed to start in the shield competition and be available to play test cricket start of 2019.Will most likely never captain Australia again which he probably does not want any more any way and will benefit his batting even more we hope.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
S Marsh
M Marsh
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Burns and Renshaw are the best openers available. Weatherald is nowhere near test standard. Handscomb and Khawaja are the two most vulnerable, I wouldn't mind Wade being the #5 and possibly captain the side if push came to shove, I don't like keepers as captains.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
S Marsh
M Marsh
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Burns and Renshaw are the best openers available. Weatherald is nowhere near test standard. Handscomb and Khawaja are the two most vulnerable, I wouldn't mind Wade being the #5 and possibly captain the side if push came to shove, I don't like keepers as captains.

No Maxwell are you serious,with Smith and Warner gone Maxwell is one of the best batsman left in Australia.How many chances are we going to give Khawaja,S.Marsh and Handscomb.

No Maxwell are you serious,with Smith and Warner gone Maxwell is one of the best batsman left in Australia.
Maxwell didn't get selected for this test for a reason. They prefer Handscomb, Marsh and Khawaja won't be dropped and M Marsh has averaged 50 since coming back into the side. That's the XI that will play, barring injury.

The reason Handscomb was selected this test was because he was the reserve batsman and would have been hard playing Maxwell,Renshaw and Burns in the test seeing they only arrived in the country 48 hours before it started.BUT where it is difficult for the reserve players like Handscomb,Sayers and co is their lack of cricket over in SA other then in the nets.There has to be matches between tests if possible for these guys to get some practice. A new coach and captain and lets hope Maxwell gets a far better deal then this season but it looks like those 1st few shield games next season will be again vital for the 1st test selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Cartwright is playing for Middlesex.

TBH i'm not sure CA have that much credibility to begin with.

Mismanaged the player payments
Mismanaged the new Media rights deal
Mismanaged the suspensions.

Smith will be back in 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner is back too, to be honest.
You can add:

Turned the Sheffield Shield competition into a shadow of its former self.

Not a bad shout, actually. They can say they've maintained the international ban, yet he can still get the exposure to the public to help get him back onside. Is he contracted to a BBL team atm? It'd be a fair bidding war for his services.

Prediction

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Wade
S.Marsh
M.Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Potential for the 3 suspended to get 6 months on appeal...now that the public has swung to their defence in the face of excessive suspensions. PR logistics I guess. Would think Warner and Smith would come straight in in this case, Bancroft back to Shield.

Back