Analysis What will happen at tonight's board meeting?

Remove this Banner Ad

I should've added that if our TPP is in a bad way how do we have room to repair it this year? Mayne still has 1.5mil to go

Isn't TPP going from ~$10 mil to ~$12 mil next year?

While other clubs are throwing the chequebook at Dusty Martin, we're getting Chris Mayne off our books.

See what happened to Brisbane when they offloaded Brendan Fevola for what happens next.

Too late to do anything about it now, the damage has been done.

My gut feel after listening to Eddie this morning on Hot Breakfast is that (reading between the lines and hearing his tone) that although no final decision has been made I think Bucks may be gone. There are certainly some heads about to roll because Ed sounded a bit circumspect and talked about how it's serious because it's peoples careers.

My gut feel after listening to Eddie this morning on Hot Breakfast is that (reading between the lines and hearing his tone) that although no final decision has been made I think Bucks may be gone. There are certainly some heads about to roll because Ed sounded a bit circumspect and talked about how it's serious because it's peoples careers.
what made you think in what he said that he is gone

I hope your right. It gives me no pleasure to see him sacked, I wish he would walk, but this has gone on long enough.

It's also our club - these people have been paid big $$ (probably a lot more than most members will ever earn) - the club's on field performance in its core business is disgraceful and depressing. If the Emperor is more worried about the careers of people who aren't up to it than he is about the competitiveness of the team then he has the wrong end of the stick. Despite all the bluster and "brand" bullshit, I'm not sure the Emperor gets it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/re...t/news-story/c36d3fcbf1915621d970e6a0456e0779

So Walsh does a run through of the "secret" presentation to the board and can't find a room with some blinds? Journo's at Westpac Centre just watch the presentation?

Hahaha you couldn't make this s**t up. It's like I'm watching "The Club" sequel. The incompetence on all levels at Collingwood is astounding.

Next time you have a secret presentation to give Walshy remember to shut the blinds mate hahaha and this is the guy we trust with a review of the Football Department.

Otherwise stream the board meetings online so all the members can tune in and witness mediocrity at work in the board room

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic that you guys actually think ALL information from the review is now in the public domain after the slides exposed by Ch 7.
You are truly a very very gullible lot.

Again... you've spun what we've said. LOL
Nobody said that "ALL" of the information from the review is now in the public domain. In fact, i've said nothing of the sort.
You mentioned that you thought we were all idiots for believing the leak of information wasn't on purpose.
I'm saying that there's no way that slideshow was "leaked" deliberately and that it was more likely to be the I.T cadet testing the clicker before the meeting.

It's also our club - these people have been paid big $$ (probably a lot more than most members will ever earn) - the club's on field performance in its core business is disgraceful and depressing. If the Emperor is more worried about the careers of people who aren't up to it than he is about the competitiveness of the team then he has the wrong end of the stick. Despite all the bluster and "brand" bullshit, I'm not sure the Emperor gets it.
What's to suggest he's more worried about careers? Tough decisions can be made and delivered in a respectful way.

Well this is apparently some of the issues (from the Hun blog)

NSIDE THE COLLINGWOOD BOARD MEETING

SOME of the key points discussed at Collingwood’s board meeting yesterday – where head of football Geoff Walsh presented a review into the football department – have been leaked by sneaky camera crews.

Channel 7 cameras reportedly captured some items on the whiteboard at the meeting yesterday, Tim Watson detailing them on SEN radio this morning:

-Mentor for coach

-More investment

-Players want head of footy to be more visible

-List management restructure

-Skills need more focus – kicking and goalkicking big focus

-Players want leadership engaged more

-Players want leadership more engaged in list management decisions

-Staff/player survey results

-Review and repair TPP model over next 12 months

Speaking to media last night after the meeting, Magpies president Eddie McGuire said board members would go away and digest information presented before making any decision on coach Nathan Buckley’s future.
Sounds like the tail wagging the dog
When players run the club you are only going backwards.
Players making list decisions. A good coach / recruiter you can avoid that disastrous idea
It seems more than likely we follow the Richmond model of last year, which seems unfair to the assistants and support staff
But hey it worked for them
Not sure that bucks will be as malleable to changing his ways as Dimma was which is a big worry for 2018 and 2019 assuming it's a 2 year contract

What's to suggest he's more worried about careers? Tough decisions can be made and delivered in a respectful way.
OK but I was responding to this "There are certainly some heads about to roll because Ed sounded a bit circumspect and talked about how it's serious because it's peoples careers."

What have we paid in total salaries - coaches?, recruiters?, Football Dept heads? etc etc over the past 6 years - a few mill I suggest. What has been the ROI on that? - near negative I suggest. We seem to be at ground zero.

Sounds like the tail wagging the dog
When players run the club you are only going backwards.
Players making list decisions. A good coach / recruiter you can avoid that disastrous idea
It seems more than likely we follow the Richmond model of last year, which seems unfair to the assistants and support staff
But hey it worked for them
Not sure that bucks will be as malleable to changing his ways as Dimma was which is a big worry for 2018 and 2019 assuming it's a 2 year contract
It's not that unheard of these days. Colin Carter, head of Geelong was on the radio the other day being questioned about Ablett's possible return. His response was that majority of the decision will rest on discussions with the leadership group and whether they want him back. Apparently they do that with all potential trades.

What have we paid in total salaries - coaches?, recruiters?, Football Dept heads? etc etc over the past 6 years - a few mill I suggest.

IIRC, total footy dept cap is around $20 million, of that total player payments has been around $10 million

Isn't TPP going from ~$10 mil to ~$12 mil next year?

While other clubs are throwing the chequebook at Dusty Martin, we're getting Chris Mayne off our books.

See what happened to Brisbane when they offloaded Brendan Fevola for what happens next.

Too late to do anything about it now, the damage has been done.

Keep in mind that Maynes contract is supposed to be heavily front ended and performance based. The damage is too late but should be somewhat limited by that in future years.

IIRC, total footy dept cap is around $20 million, of that total player payments has been around $10 million

Buckley was reported to be on $1million a year. When I hear about gaps in our footy department I sometimes wonder what could be achieved if the coach took a pay cut. That's 10% of footy department spending tied up right there.

This is just a smoke screen so Ed can say "the independent review recommended Buckley be retained", and we all know that's what the review will say, nothing surer, because that's what Ed wanted it to say, independent my ass.
It may be the excuse Ed needs to make changes without implicating himself in Busk's downfall........sorry Bucks but we can still be mates, I fought for you, blah, blah.

It's not that unheard of these days. Colin Carter, head of Geelong was on the radio the other day being questioned about Ablett's possible return. His response was that majority of the decision will rest on discussions with the leadership group and whether they want him back. Apparently they do that with all potential trades.

Colin Carter = one top operator, a quick google reveals...

Colin Carter is a senior advisor for the Corporate Development practice area. Carter is a former BCG senior partner and managing director, and a founder of the firm’s Australian operation.

Prior to joining the firm, he taught business finance at IMD—International Institute for Management Development in Switzerland, was a consultant for McKinsey & Company in London and Melbourne, and was a visiting lecturer at the Yale School of Management.

Carter has a Bachelor of Commerce from Melbourne University and an MBA with distinction from Harvard Business School, where he graduated with distinction and as a Baker Scholar.

I know this is a Cwood site but the comparison is interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back