What will happen with the two plastic franchises?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was impressed with Summertons losing speech. Made special note that majority of his team had nothing to do with the Maggies. The comp has changed for the worse.

Last edited:
Summerton also had a lot to say against the Magpies becoming a Power reserves team on Facebook, scathing. He changed his mind once he saw the cash on offer, his moral stance evaporated. I haven't heard the speech mentioned but maybe he's had another change of heart. Kirkwood was also offered a game with the Power reserves but turned it down as he thought it was unfair that he stays when his mates have to go so he looked elsewhere. Moral fortitude. He was thinking of heading to the VFL for a change until he decided to head to Sturt with Beard and Watt. Now he's a Magarey medalist. Could've been Summerton but he got lost amongst AFL players and money.

FWIW there's rumours around that the Power reserves won't be wearing the prison bars next year. Allegedly it's a push by the PAFC and agreed to by the SANFL to ease the pain of the Magpie diehards over a few years.
My opinion is that this was all set in place before the One Club proposal.

FWIW there's rumours around that the Power reserves won't be wearing the prison bars next year. Allegedly it's a push by the PAFC and agreed to by the SANFL to ease the pain of the Magpie diehards over a few years.
Sauce? I bet it's a smelly one

Summerton also had a lot to say against the Magpies becoming a Power reserves team on Facebook, scathing. He changed his mind once he saw the cash on offer, his moral stance evaporated. I haven't heard the speech mentioned but maybe he's had another change of heart. Kirkwood was also offered a game with the Power reserves but turned it down as he thought it was unfair that he stays when his mates have to go so he looked elsewhere. Moral fortitude. He was thinking of heading to the VFL for a change until he decided to head to Sturt with Beard and Watt. Now he's a Magarey medalist. Could've been Summerton but he got lost amongst AFL players and money.

This has been around for a month or so, Norwood president had already declared this will be a condition being pushed for and will probably get, due to the fact the clubs make the rules anyway.

This is so far from the issue, they are thinking that by killing the Magpes (nickname) and losing the PB black and white it will fix the problems they have with a large portion of the 8 SANFL clubs supporters, you cant kill something that is already dead, the PAFC organisation is a franchise of the AFL already(I suppose they will truly become one club PORT POWER) . Some SANFL supporters will feel satisfied by this, but the real issue is the handicapped competition they are trying to run, that simply has too many variances to make it work, some years the AFL resrves will be too weak some years they will be too strong make it bloody ridiculous.

I've heard it from people very close to two different sanfl clubs, so now with what you said about Norwood that's three. I heard it was almost certain to happen.
The drummed up media crap that will surround this will be laughable.

I've heard it from people very close to two different sanfl clubs, so now with what you said about Norwood that's three. I heard it was almost certain to happen.
The drummed up media crap that will surround this will be laughable.

I think Sturt folding would be more likely than Port Adelaide losing the Prison Bars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont stress the PB will be used, well at least when Eddie and Collingwood allow you to use them!
Was great to see Port Adelaide in the BPs smash the yellow and black.
By 50+ in the AFL finals.
and by 150+ in the SANFL :)

And what do you base that on exactly.
"I've heard it from people very close to two different sanfl clubs, I heard it is almost certain to happen."

Copy and paste this as backup to any bullshit statement concerning the SANFL.

So nothing. What a couple of spuds.
I heard about this over a month ago, asked a mate close to another club who confirmed the same story and gave some background to it. Believe me, interacting with reactionary mental pygmies on here is not high on my list of things to do. I'm only sharing what I've heard from two reliable people.
By all means, if you actually have something of merit to add, go for it but I doubt you have.

you do realise in an sanfl grand final under the restrictions placed on the club yesterday port were not allowed to pick a ruckman, not allowed to pick the player who tagged jack oatey medallist panoz out of the game earlier in the year, not allowed to pick the solid bodied mature player who would play a shut down role on mcguinness or bode, instead we were forced to pick 9 players 20 years old or under, an irishman who has played about 12 games of footy in his life. 6 under 19s who are in their first year of senior football, really its a joke that we got so close to norwood they should have smashed us by 15 goals.
had port been allowed to pick bruggeman, beimans, slattery and young instead of flynn, russell byrne jones and maybe amon there would have been a different result. but we werent allowed to pick our best 21, integrity..........

well....... it was the Power AFL Reserves team playing.....
as for "integrity" ..... that word has no place in Poort's world

haha so i found the thread where a few fat old guys from SA still cannot let go of how badly the PAFC wrecked their childhoods. there can't be many of you left by now. did you guys used to cry after most grand finals? honestly the petty jibes in here that don't even make sense leave me very sad for all of you. i genuinely wish the crows were never formed and your clubs were never dismissed as backwater trash. you guys wouldn't be so bitter and you'd have a club you still cared about...

haha so i found the thread where a few fat old guys from SA still cannot let go of how badly the PAFC wrecked their childhoods. there can't be many of you left by now. did you guys used to cry after most grand finals? honestly the petty jibes in here that don't even make sense leave me very sad for all of you. i genuinely wish the crows were never formed and your clubs were never dismissed as backwater trash. you guys wouldn't be so bitter and you'd have a club you still cared about...

Isn't it funny how most of them are Glenelg supporters?

I've got two clubs I care about a lot. I'm more than happy supporting both an AFL and an SANFL club. I'm too young to remember a time when the AFL didn't exist, so I've always just had two clubs.

I get that your post wasn't necessarily directed at me. In a way, it's easier barracking for a club that never in a million years had a hope of joining the AFL. If I barracked for Norwood though, perhaps I'd be slightly aggrieved that Port got into the AFL and not Norwood. Port deserved to get in the AFL, no question about that, but a Magpie playing list comprised mostly of AFL players competing in the SANFL? It was always going to upset some.

I can see both sides of the coin. Geelong for a long time were competing in the VFL with their reserves side against semi-pro clubs, resulting in some heavy losses for the other clubs. But the VFL is slightly different from the SANFL. Port Melb, Williamstown etc. were not usually the first side a supporter barracks, unlike a lot of Glenelg supporters for example who support Richmond or Adelaide secondary to the Bays.

I don't have as big an issue with Port Magpies being the Power reserves, nor the Crows being in the SANFL. my ideal situation would be to have the Magpies in the SANFL operating circa 2013 and previous, and have a Power reserves playing in a national reserves comp, preferably as curtain raisers to the main event. We all know that won't happen though.

There's definitely some sour grapes in this thread. Passion will invariably bring out the best and worst in people. I think that some of you Port boys should realise how fortunate you are, accept that some people will be upset about the situation, and try to move on. I don't think that trolling is the right way to go about it. Bay 13 exists for that. We're all adults (I assume) so we should all try and discuss the situation in a mature manner and try to respond to others with a bit more dignity.

well....... it was the Power AFL Reserves team playing.....
as for "integrity" ..... that word has no place in Poort's world
Lol. South. The most irreverent and pathetic excuse for a 'club' to ever disgrace the game with their very existence. If your club had any self respect you'd all kill yourselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back