Strategy What will Sam’s assistant coach team look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps a wise decision would be to offer Gary Ayres the soon to be vacant Box Hill coaching job, I think he would be the most perfect option to take over there and work in tandem with Andy Collins.
Get the gang back together and find a role for Langford, too.

Yeah, figured it had to be that.

Seemed better than a lot of coaches since & obviously did well with Port Melb.

Would his personality complement Sam? I've not seen him in a long time - remember him being angry & yelling a lot.

Yeah “never cut it” was too harsh. Not sure what he would bring after so long in the VFL. Hopefully Mitch still has Parko’s ear as a mentor. Be good to get some IP coming in and an experienced 2IC like fagan was.

The more appropriate question could be, which assistant coaches will want out?
Back page news on today's Mercury indicates Bolton is staying, or hopes to. I understand Newman has not yet re-signed, which is a worry. Tigers keen to have him back.

Will be up to Sam but the midfield under Bolton has been uninspiring, to be charitable. Even the Box Hill coaches will need to be in sync with our new game plan, especially as we will be drafting heavily. If Bolton is considered not relevant to our future game plan it may be best to pay him out. (6 months if he is contracted for 2022. Unsure what coin he is on but the soft cap is flexible, not a hard cap like the players salary cap.

We also need skills coaches for a few areas where we are deficient. Handballing, effective tackling, low passing by foot and leading are 4 areas where we have been stagnant. Part time coaches who can impart specific skills by training can improve the skill set of the team, and need not cost the earth.

I think going over the soft cap next year to get the team around Mitch that he wants would be worth it. Even if that means paying out some contracts. It hurts the piggybank, but getting everyone on the same page and allowing everyone to work together towards building this list would be worth it to me.

Occured to me today, if the soft cap squeeze is on due to clarko's payout, that Hale might have to do double duties as ruck coach. Perhaps might mean no need for monky

Do we pay Monky? Sometimes it feels like he just shows up every year and we give him the role

I think going over the soft cap next year to get the team around Mitch that he wants would be worth it. Even if that means paying out some contracts. It hurts the piggybank, but getting everyone on the same page and allowing everyone to work together towards building this list would be worth it to me.
What about some playing coaches at Box Hill? Guys like Michael Hartley seem to show leadership and could go back to being BH players, without the official coach tag, and fill some coaching and mentoring voids as part of our development.

What about some playing coaches at Box Hill? Guys like Michael Hartley seem to show leadership and could go back to being BH players, without the official coach tag, and fill some coaching and mentoring voids as part of our development.
I think we will definitely have a lot of coaching going on at box hill. Box hill coaches might fall out of the cap?

But I feel if Mitch wants to introduce a new gameplan which he has hinted at. We are going to need all hands on deck. Probably best to get who we feel are the best coaches to do that.

Back page news on today's Mercury indicates Bolton is staying, or hopes to. I understand Newman has not yet re-signed, which is a worry. Tigers keen to have him back.

Will be up to Sam but the midfield under Bolton has been uninspiring, to be charitable. Even the Box Hill coaches will need to be in sync with our new game plan, especially as we will be drafting heavily. If Bolton is considered not relevant to our future game plan it may be best to pay him out. (6 months if he is contracted for 2022. Unsure what coin he is on but the soft cap is flexible, not a hard cap like the players salary cap.

We also need skills coaches for a few areas where we are deficient. Handballing, effective tackling, low passing by foot and leading are 4 areas where we have been stagnant. Part time coaches who can impart specific skills by training can improve the skill set of the team, and need not cost the earth.
Newman not going to Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he just builds his own team. The football department manager should be the old experienced head to keep him level, don't need another as assistant so every article is "XYZ frustrated with Sam Mitchell's experience" "Did Hawthorn make the wrong call? ABC the right coach says Chad Corns after a winless start to the season"

Hale's name coming up again
MITCHELL VACANCY NEEDS TO BE FILLED

Hawthorn’s senior coach for next season Sam Mitchell needs to replace himself on the club’s assistant coaching panel.

Fremantle’s David Hale, who is in charge of the Dockers’ forwards, is one whose name has bobbed up as a potential replacement.

The Hawks are trying to keep Chris Newman in their coaching setup for next season, while Brendon Bolton has told the club he has no plans to depart with Clarkson.

Bolton has a contract and it’s highly likely he doesn’t have any other takers so of course he wants to stick it out.

while Brendon Bolton has told the club he has no plans to depart with Clarkson…

send him to the basement
well, it's not likely he's going to follow Clarkson to Carlton as an assistant......or get an assistant role anywhere else at AFL. Just taking his last pay cheque

Remove this Banner Ad

Back