Strategy What will Sam’s assistant coach team look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley as an assistant coach appeals because it strikes a better balance. He can be a difficult and demanding bloke, but he has a canny football mind - assistant coaches don't need to do as much of the emotional management side of things which he has reportedly struggled with.
You'd think he'd demand a largish salary and in the era of soft cap reductions I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Geelol might go for it because they can just give him some very cheap beachfront property

Buckley as an assistant coach appeals because it strikes a better balance. He can be a difficult and demanding bloke, but he has a canny football mind - assistant coaches don't need to do as much of the emotional management side of things which he has reportedly struggled with.
I’m not sold on him having a canny football mind.
Not opposed to him either, mind you.

Suspect David Hale gets a call.

Whoever it is, hope its a mix of experienced guys (like Andy Collins) and young guys with fresh ideas (Newman, McRae)

He comes across as very intelligent and is well spoken, I believe he would make for a quality assistant.
Very sharp football mind. But very similar personality to Mitchell. They are cut from the same cloth in terms of their approaches to football and professionalism, but I think Sam will also need guys around him who complement his strengths and his weaknesses (ie. an empathetic Fagan / Mark Williams type personality). I see people management as the greater challenge for Mitchell than tactical nous / professional standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Andy Collins stepped away from Werribee as he wanted something more part time to fit in with teaching, not sure he'll be up for an AFL gig again.
I spoke to him he likes how it is atm and he doesn't want anything further.

Maybe

Would actually like to see Gary Ayers given a development role if we want experience.
Been around for a long time at both afl and vfl. Also would like to have a new midfield coach, we seem to have really poor defensive moments in our centre bounces at moment.
Nigel Lappin i would be happy with, currently at Geelong doing ball movement and midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back