Strategy What will Sam’s assistant coach team look like?

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would someone like Chance Bateman be a guy Mitchell may turn to?
Development coach at WC for a bit
Bulldogs have been interested for a while there…
Ryan Okeefe is another guy I would look at.
Max Bailey the other candidate you would think the club would have interest in bringing back.
I think Sam would want to start his coaching career as a “people” coach and drive the onfield standards from there knowing full well he has the brain to teach the game. Reinforcing this with like minded staff will only ground his model even further.
Whatever his staff looks like I hope he goes all in on his way to bring the best out of his staff, the players and continue a strong culture at Hawthorn.
Found this old piece and though it could be applied to what Sam may strive to follow.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
It would not surprise me at all that Sammy puts the call into Hodgey.
I know he's reasonably well entrenched in Queensland atm but I get the feeling there's a frustrated coach bursting to get out and that temptation to coach back at the Hawks may be too much to resist.
I think the hardest part would be convincing his missus lol.

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would not surprise me at all that Sammy puts the call into Hodgey.
I know he's reasonably well entrenched in Queensland atm but I get the feeling there's a frustrated coach bursting to get out and that temptation to coach back at the Hawks may be too much to resist.
I think the hardest part would be convincing his missus lol.
A job where Hodgey doesn't have to speak on camera probably suits him tbh.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Angelo Lekkas as a roughie

JezzHawk

All Australian
Oct 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Luke Breust when he retires.

Roughead & Burgoyne.

I think he should find his own way before introducing another dominant personality like Hodge.

Wouldn't want too many from the same team leading.
Probs needs a couple of guys with at least 1 game of coaching experience, even if between them.

Wesley2

Premiership Player
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A part of me would love Hodge et al to return, but would it be fair on a young rebuilding team to have the inevitably constant comparisons to 13-15 amplified by having a majority of the coaching team be from that era?

Although Sammy is from that era, this is a chance for this young team to distance themselves a bit and develop their own identity.

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probs needs a couple of guys with at least 1 game of coaching experience, even if between them.
I'm sure Burgoyne can develop kids and Roughie teach a forward or two. There are more than a couple of coaches these days...

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
smokey: Guy McKenna.
- Was on a hiding to nothing as the inaugural Head Coach at the Suns.
- Had a great footy IQ as a player and seemingly the off field IQ to match.
- Was uncompromising as a player while never taking a cheap shot. Would likely expect nothing less as a coach.
- A clear communicator.
- Unlikely to be a usurper within the ranks, and my guess would buy-in on Sammy’s vision.

What else could we want.

Last edited:
I'm sure Burgoyne can develop kids and Roughie teach a forward or two. There are more than a couple of coaches these days...
We’ll if you’re sure, then I’m convinced!

Just in case, maybe we should also consider guys that have a proven record in doing so? Not just great players of recent times.

I’m aware that there’s more than a couple of coaches these days. I assume you’re aware that there’s also a soft cap on coaching spend these days?

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’ll if you’re sure, then I’m convinced!

Just in case, maybe we should also consider guys that have a proven record in doing so? Not just great players of recent times.

I’m aware that there’s more than a couple of coaches these days. I assume you’re aware that there’s also a soft cap on coaching spend these days?
Well they are so inexperienced they surely would do it for minimum wage 😂

Back