What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

BigVic

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Reminds me of Nelson who was LOTO following an election defeat by the sitting Howard Govt in 2007

Crankyhawk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funnily enough, this much lauded (lorded?) prayer says absolutely f-all about helping the vulnerable or, indeed, about helping anybody else at all.
This might say something about the hypocrisy which drives so-called christians.
The only thing in it which comes close is “forgiving those who sin against us”

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
They literally just throw s**t from the sides while they wait for Labor to inevitably implode (with a little encouragement and prodding from uncle Rup)
Yeah I'm thinking maybe Labor has finally learnt that lesson. Hope so.

QuietB

Hall of Famer
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Long term this is excellent for the LNP.
How?

Liberals are currently getting painted with tar by the Christian Right. Morrison completely screws NSW and Matthew Guy says hold my beer.

Sure there are a few cookers in Australia who love Trump and Murdoch can rattle the blue rinse set, but sensible Australians want no part of this culture war bullshit.

Last edited:

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Long term this is excellent for the LNP.
How so? To shore up support from their band of rusted-on culture warriors, already dwindling through natural attrition due to their advanced age?

I think this most recent election showed that the culture war trick ain't working with enough swinging voters any more.

Look how badly the Katherine Deves thing backfired.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How so? To shore up support from their band of rusted-on culture warriors, already dwindling through natural attrition due to their advanced age?

I think this most recent election showed that the culture war trick ain't working with enough swinging voters any more.

Look how badly the Katherine Deves thing backfired.
It's all very well to wage a culture war in a post Olympic glow with rivers of gold to handout and a cricket team that routinely spanked all comers. The Libs really need to let go of John Howard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the country?

"What’s happening now is dead simple: later this week in the House of Representatives, the Liberal and National parties will once again vote against any form of serious emissions reduction.

That’s the truth. Voting against action to combat the climate crisis. This behaviour needs to be called for what it is."

Sun Ra

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Boomers
A couple of absolute classics here ......

Saint Shags

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Bandt just rendered him irrelevant

In terms of the Emissions Agreement. With The Greens announcing that they will vote for the Government Bill in both the Lower and Upper House.
Greens finally understanding that even little victories can be a good start.

Millky95

Starchild > You
Jul 6, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Renegades
I am hearing more about the Greens than I am about the LNP in my assorted scrolling and hearing snippets of news at home. Mostly on climate but could mean we'll move from an ALP vs LNP to ALP vs GRN in a few elections time.

I am probably wishful thinking tbf

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we all need to take a moment out and think of the poor Taylor family.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I am hearing more about the Greens than I am about the LNP in my assorted scrolling and hearing snippets of news at home. Mostly on climate but could mean we'll move from an ALP vs LNP to ALP vs GRN in a few elections time.

I am probably wishful thinking tbf

It could happen. But teals too in kooyong both labor and green voters voted tactically for teal far more than lib voters

SBD Gonzalez

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Greens finally understanding that even little victories can be a good start.
Maybe now the ALP will officially acknowledge that the reason the Greens rejected their CPRS was because they correctly identified it as a useless horseschitte policy that Treasury itself showed would produce zero reductions in emissions for the first 25 years of its operation.

Guess that's too much to ask. Think how much cleaner we could be by now if the ALP hadn't tried to put one over the entire nation.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Maybe now the ALP will officially acknowledge that the reason the Greens rejected their CPRS was because they correctly identified it as a useless horseschitte policy that Treasury itself showed would produce zero reductions in emissions for the first 25 years of its operation.

Guess that's too much to ask. Think how much cleaner we could be by now if the ALP hadn't tried to put one over the entire nation.

Would I be right saying you or they reject carbon pricing?

Remove this Banner Ad