What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
my guess is dutton will win the leadership of the liberals and drag then further right with the christian right gaining further influence as it has with the republicans in the u.s.a. my belief is that would be contrary to the lesson they should take from last nights election result. others think the battle lines should be more stark. thoughts?

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Political wilderness......

unnamed-9.jpg

As stupid as he looks, you wouldn't think he is so stupid that he would drag them further to the right, further alienating the traditional Liberal voters. They lost so many seats last night and taking them in that directions will only see similar defeats in the next election and they become the minor party in the coalition.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
my guess is dutton will win the leadership of the liberals and drag then further right with the christian right gaining further influence as it has with the republicans in the u.s.a. my belief is that would be contrary to the lesson they should take from last nights election result. others think the battle lines should be more stark. thoughts?

So what is the lesson they should take from last nights election when selecting their next leader ?

Two problems with that strategy straight off, in comparison to the US.
1. The Christian right isn't big here
2. The right can't rig the system here to give them an electoral advantage

Last edited:

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
It would mean that my lifelong dream of some strong Queensland leadership might be realised.

TrollFace.jpg

But in all seriousness, short of an economic calamity, they aren't winning back any blue-ribbon seats with Dutton, and they'll surely lose Sturt and quite possibly Aston/Menzies. Menzies is the most right-wing of those seats, but I can't imagine any Victorian rushing out to vote for Dutton. Dutton will probably do OK in Western Sydney, though surely not in electorates with significant Chinese populations (Reid/Bennelong/Parramatta). He'll get some swings out West, though I sincerely doubt that they embrace a former QLD policeman.

Inner-city Brisbane also very much dislikes him, whereas the suburbs are more split than you'd think.

So what is the lesson they should take from last nights election when selecting their next leader ?

The answer is obvious.
A puppet leader until they find someone else.
What they will probably do is parachute someone like Abbott back into parliament via Cook.

Potatohead, Tehan, or Andrews?

as an ALP member I'd love any of these three

there has to be someone who can spend 2 years trying to get the moderates back on board

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The answer is obvious.
A puppet leader until they find someone else.
What they will probably do is parachute someone like Abbott back into parliament via Cook.

The question was the lesson they should take from last nights election result.

The question was the lesson they should take from last nights election result.

I'll put in English for you...
The lesson was they've gone too far to the right.
Starts with the leader.
ie don't have a leader who wants to take the party further to the right.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Potatohead, Tehan, or Andrews?

as an ALP member I'd love any of these three

there has to be someone who can spend 2 years trying to get the moderates back on board

Andrews and Dud-ton are too similar.

Tehan is a VIC, but he's not from a blue-ribbon electorate and frankly comes off as very colourless.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Shows how bereft they are of talent that Andrews and Tehan are considered leadership prospects.

XFh2yb.md.jpg
Article on the ABC site from this morning that I posted in another thread also suggested Angus Taylor as a potential leader! Teals committed to climate action wouldn't even consider meeting with him. Plus a real ICAC probably removes him as an option anyway.

Dutton will go chasing the 10% of the vote that ONP and UAP got. He will talk about immigration and debt constantly. He will lament the loss of Aussie culture. He will cement the alt right base and rely on Murdoch to convince the fearful.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Dutton will go chasing the 10% of the vote that ONP and UAP got. He will talk about immigration and debt constantly. He will lament the loss of Aussie culture. He will cement the alt right base and rely on Murdoch to convince the fearful.
Exactly my guess. May convince UAP to * off so they can target the nutjobs themselves.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Dutton will not have Rupert Murdoch or Kerry Stokes in his corner.

Back