What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Am I the only person who thinks a Dutton prime ministership is very possible given the likelihood of a global economic crisis during which the government/RBA won't have access to the levers they did to combat 2008? It's well documented that Labour experienced a pretty significant swing against, just nowhere near as severe as the Liberals. It also seems that the Liberal strategy was to sacrifice some traditional inner city seats (obviously the damage was far worse than anticipated) and make up for it by attacking the Labour heartland, which didn't work based largely on voter's contempt for Morrison. I don't think the tactic was that stupid, and I don't think it will be that hard to shift voter sentiment in those seats against an already unpopular Labour party if the economy does go to s**t, because you know for sure what the Murdoch media's take on that will be. Dutton could always turn out to be completely unelectable, but I remember how Abbott was going to be the death of the Liberal party when he became leader of the opposition.
Your biggest problem with your summary is that if Labor loses votes next election that they automatically go to the Libs. Both parties lost votes and it wasn’t to each other. It’s not a yes or no answer. The public has other options and as shown on the weekend they exercised that right. If it’s economic issues they’ll turn to the teals imo

Last edited:

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Your biggest problem with your summary is that if Labor loses votes next election that they automatically go to the Libs. Both parties lost votes and it wasn’t to each other. It’s not a yes or no answer. The public has other options and as shown on the weekend they exercised that right. If it’s economic issues they’ll turn to the teals imo
So they should. If you want to be fiscally conservative, fine, but you don't have to jump in bed with the coal priests to manufacture that.

As stupid as he looks, you wouldn't think he is so stupid that he would drag them further to the right, further alienating the traditional Liberal voters. They lost so many seats last night and taking them in that directions will only see similar defeats in the next election and they become the minor party in the coalition.
You missed his "victory" speech then.
Sure it's available on Youtube.
The guy is a danger to democracy.
I hope he becomes leader. The Libs will take decades to recover from him.

Last edited:

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not all that interested in the machinations of each party but surely there is a more stable candidate that Dutton?

He had a 3% swing against him this election and very nearly lost his seat.

That doesn't scream "strong, stable leadership" does it? Surely there's a candidate that had a stronger local showing to try and build support on?

Unless the LNP know they are boned in 2025 regardless & Dutton is just the lamb being led to slaughter before the real leader steps in?
They have no talent. The cupboard is bare. Alan Tudge is probably their best option and he is coming off a $500k sexual assault settlement.

I honestly think we will get Morrison again at the next election. He will spend a couple of years doing his “I have changed” cosplay and he will oust Dutton on the back of deplorable polls a year before the next election.

Dutton is Alexander Downer without the stockings.

They are all dickheads. We can talk about the moderates getting purged, but really they were dickheads too. Frydo, Zimmerman, Wilson and Sharma. Pissant lightweights who are not capable of anything other than auto-repeat the lot of them.

They have no talent. The cupboard is bare. Alan Tudge is probably their best option and he is coming off a $500k sexual assault settlement.

I honestly think we will get Morrison again at the next election. He will spend a couple of years doing his “I have changed” cosplay and he will oust Dutton on the back of deplorable polls a year before the next election.

Dutton is Alexander Downer without the stockings.

They are all dickheads. We can talk about the moderates getting purged, but really they were dickheads too. Frydo, Zimmerman, Wilson and Sharma. Pissant lightweights who are not capable of anything other than auto-repeat the lot of them.
Said it before and I will again - they could do a lot worse than putting in Archer. One of the LNP to get a swing towards her, and crossed floor on some legislation as well.

Said it before and I will again - they could do a lot worse than putting in Archer. One of the LNP to get a swing towards her, and crossed floor on some legislation as well.

Just IMO, I think they need to seriously look at getting Gladys into the federal arena. She's young enough to still be a long term leader, and she has the name recognition and the runs on the board from covid to be considered a serious player.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
As opposed to the jovial soft-hearted guy he normally looks like?

I get the feeling Labor's dirt unit went soft on him to save it all up for the real fight in coming years.

Divvy van rides with indigenous kids, etc etc
In this electoral cycle, Labor didn't need anything more than this:

"Sit down, boofhead!"

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Just IMO, I think they need to seriously look at getting Gladys into the federal arena. She's young enough to still be a long term leader, and she has the name recognition and the runs on the board from covid to be considered a serious player.

Did you miss the bit where she started the first wave … ruby princess and the second wave for waiting 2 weeks to get serious about restriction …

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
He’s unlikely to ever be PM but he could be effective as a head-kicking Opposition Leader.
Has to be one of the only reasons you'd get him in.

2 years and a half years of head kicking before getting an electable leader in.

Unless next election he is electable, which is a scary thought to consider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you miss the bit where she started the first wave … ruby princess and the second wave for waiting 2 weeks to get serious about restriction …

Did you miss the bit where she is still one of the most popular polo's in the country?

Remember you are not her constituency, it's the conservatives and liberals moderates. And they love her

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Did you miss the bit where she is still one of the most popular polo's in the country?

Remember you are not her constituency, it's the conservatives and liberals moderates. And they love her

👍. Personally I think she is finished. Western Sydney will remember her.
But I suppose if they give her north Sydney or something …. But she is called the #KoalaKiller

👍. Personally I think she is finished. Western Sydney will remember her.
But I suppose if they give her north Sydney or something …. But she is called the #KoalaKiller

Thats a slam from the left - they were never her people

also dont underestimate how conservative the west is - this is where the bulk of Sydney's religious nutters of all persuasions live

pugsville

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2001
leningrad
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

Female. That disqualifies her form the Liberal leadership.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The Nats are going to go full-blown Pro-coal/mining. The Libs were holding them back. They're going to scream bloody murder with every piece of progressive legislation passed. Murdoch and Costello will scream twice as loudly.

Dutton will have 2 choices. Stick to the same policies as today where they talk about action but take none. They'll say they support climate action and oppose corruption, but they'll oppose every piece of legislation. This will get them the same result we just saw.

Or they could listen to their elite inner-city core constituents in Goldstein and Higgins and Kooyong and take Governance and climate change seriously. This is unlikely with Dutton in charge.

Dutton's not a leader, he's a follower. He'll follow Sky/Murdoch/Costello wherever they tell him to go, and it'll be down the toilet like Morrison.

:thumbsu: 'Dutton will have 2 choices. Stick to the same policies as today where they talk about action but take none.'

'They'll say they support climate action and oppose corruption, but they'll oppose every piece of legislation. This will get them the same result we just saw.'
Thats the problem that all losing parties face, including what happens to the losing leader - no problem there.

The ideologues can be relied on to believe the electorate are wrong, so it takes the pragmatists to see the way forward.
Whether Dutton is that person is the challenge for the Libs, not the Nats (who lost no seats to date).

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I am not saying it would happen, but, the Libs and Nats should split if Dutton takes over. Joyce did correctly point out that the Nats did very well on the weekend with no loss of seats. A great result for them.
What he failed to mention is that being beholden to National Party policies so as not to disenfranchise their electorates is partly to blame for the Libs losing so many seats.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
:thumbsu: 'Dutton will have 2 choices. Stick to the same policies as today where they talk about action but take none.'

'They'll say they support climate action and oppose corruption, but they'll oppose every piece of legislation. This will get them the same result we just saw.'
Thats the problem that all losing parties face, including what happens to the losing leader - no problem there.

The ideologues can be relied on to believe the electorate are wrong, so it takes the pragmatists to see the way forward.
Whether Dutton is that person is the challenge for the Libs, not the Nats (who lost no seats to date).
Imagine trying to be a pragmatist in that party room with Antic, Hume, Molan. The pragmatists are going to get slaughtered. And that's before they even have to deal with the media and nationals who are bat-sh-t crazy anti-pragmatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back