What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
If it isn't an issue why dump them before taking leadership?

View attachment 1407961

He didn't declare it previously and I'm sure I recall some issue around government funding and his wife's ownership of these.

$5.6m in government funding - nothing to see here....

Having a second shot?

Maybe Ms Dutton is not the handbag you seem to suggest. Is that your view of wives in general or just Ms Dutton?

That's not relevant.

For govt contracts a conflict of interest provision extends to your family (have had to declare interests of my own family for one contract I'm involved in)

Even if he genuinely had zero influence on her business, it would be a conflict

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Posting again because it's worth it

This will happen

sxp3RKE.png

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney

View attachment 1407961

He didn't declare it previously and I'm sure I recall some issue around government funding and his wife's ownership of these.

Sold to whom? A company that any of the Duttons have links to?

I can picture it now. Throw it on gumtree in the last few days post elections and it’s snapped up in an instant by some bargain hunter coming around in the arvo after work. Pfft as ol John Elliott would say “pigs ass!”

Maybe Ms Dutton is not the handbag you seem to suggest. Is that your view of wives in general or just Ms Dutton?
The more charitable view is that Dutton is anticipating a potential conflict of interest and acting on it before it is an issue.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The more charitable view is that Dutton is anticipating a potential conflict of interest and acting on it before it is an issue.

It is difficult to believe these childcare centres have been put up for sale, & sold, since he put up his hand for the leadership less than 48 hours back.

It is difficult to believe these childcare centres have been put up for sale, & sold, since he put up his hand for the leadership less than 48 hours back.

could have lined up a deal contingent on the result

also lots of issues in child care right now, WFH is ******* with revenues

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
That's not relevant.

For govt contracts a conflict of interest provision extends to your family (have had to declare interests of my own family for one contract I'm involved in)

Even if he genuinely had zero influence on her business, it would be a conflict

I raised the question as a stand alone post for good reason. Dutton has it in his declaration of interests.

I raised the question as a stand alone post for good reason. Dutton has it in his declaration of interests.

what happens is you have to declare it, but then its reviewed to see how the conflict should be managed

generally there are three options:

1) no influence possible, so conflict is no concern

2) influence is possible, but the conflict can be managed by exclusion of activity

3) influence is possible, but exclusion of activity is impossible

Dutton would have been (2) before. a conflict exists, but in his portfolio he has no influence on childcare

as opposition leader (and PM in waiting if an ALP minority govt fails) that conflict is now unavoidable, as he will have a key say in liberal policies around childcare, compensation, and so on

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

View attachment 1407961

We are at the top of an asset bubble, maybe over the top. And the grant pipeline is closed. Good time to sell - these businesses will never look this good again.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Firstly it's "Labor"

Secondly, you just witnessed the Australian Public move away from far right politics back to the Centre and you think this will cause them to then move even further to the extreme right

Are you new to Politics?
Think this is a bit unfair. The post quoted provided pretty decent reasons why this election could be reversed.

We saw them move on ICAC and climate. If these issues deflate some in the next three years, do you see a sustaining force within the Teals that will allow them to hold their seats, or a means by which Labor could be returned in more seats than this election?

What this victory is, is a godsend. We get time, a government that should - in theory - try to undo some of the damage with a mandate to prevent the last government's excesses, but let's get real here. The Labor party has been voted in 7 from 23 elections since WW2. It's a ginormous task for them to hold onto power.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Life just gets better and better.

Dutton to lead and Suss-an Lay as his deputy; the daughter of an MI6 agent who by coincidence (;)), happened to end up in Australia in 1974 and who is touted as being a "moderate". She ain't no moderate she's just a bimbo. This is the person who bought a $795,000 flat on "impulse" on a taxpayer-funded trip to the Gold Coast!

Dutton, the sadistic, racist, extremist former Qld. cop admits to having a conflict of interest through the RHT Family Trust for years by selling the childcare centres it owns just recently, so he wouldn't be lumbered with the accusation of conflict of interests in his ascent to the Liberal Leadership. RHT Family Trust childcare centres received payments from the government directly instead of the payments going directly to parents.

These two are the new faces of the Liberal Party Leadership! Life just gets better and better!

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The American Trump-style pursuit of the far right is futile. Whilst Australia is further to the right than what I thought (the 2019 election highlighted that), these idiots need to get it through their thick heads that we do NOT have voluntary first-past-the-post voting in Australia.

You do not need to excite nutters to get out the vote, and when they vote for fringe nutty right parties like Clive, they come straight back in preferences. The centre is their problem, not the right. About ten seats worth of the centre has abandoned the Liberal Party at this election. No party can win government in this country without capturing a large portion of the centrist vote.

But delustion is one of the key planks of being a modern conservative. They do not live in the real world - they live in Fox/Sky/IPA echo chamber world which bears no resemblance to the real Australia. The real Australia just said 'WTF? We're not voting for this s**t.'

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Libs doubling down with the unlikeable s**t sandwich, Anne Ruston is the favourite to be his deputy.

Never will the leadership team of a major party have been so despicable.
I only remember Anne Ruston as the South Australian witch who presided over the plunging of Jobseeker recipients back into poverty when the 'coronavirus supplement' ended.

Back