What would happen if a season was cancelled ?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not a thread to discuss Corona virus per say but what would be the repercussions for the game if the AFL had to call off a season for any reason ?

Interested to hear your thoughts
No season of football competition here has ever been cancelled.
The VFA did during some war years but this league and the seasons before it of the foundations clubs have had a competition every season since game started here.

If there's something going around, you're gonna catch it in standing room. Should CV take off here I'll be watching on TV.

In all seriousness, there's no scenario other than a global apocalypse that would cause the AFL to cancel a season. Worst case scenario is we'd have a premiership season resembling something like 20/20 cricket.

It will be called the Zooper Dooper AFLX premiership season.

It would be converted to an eSport with new sponsorship by Redbull and Doritos so even the players can avoid all human contact.

I'm sure Selwood will still find some way to end up bleeding by the end of a game, maybe on the fridge door during a break, but otherwise, injury lists will be a thing of the past and Freo will finally get someone over 6'3 on the park for the whole season. Would work too until Clarkson finds the cheat codes again.

And here it is...

AFL games, Grand Prix 'could be cancelled' over virus (paywalled)
The federal government would consider cancelling events with big crowds such as AFL matches if Australia experienced a major outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, Health Minister Greg Hunt has confirmed.

But it would come only as a last resort.

The government is bracing for the World Health Organisation to declare within days that the coronavirus crisis has reached pandemic stage, meaning ongoing outbreaks in multiple countries.
Asked if this could affect events such as AFL matches, Mr Hunt said: “The possibility of events is always there, but that is a last resort”.
The AFL on Wednesday night declined to comment on the issue.

They’re also talking about using football stadiums for quarantine. If there’s a possibility of cancelling GP and Olympics then there’s a good chance of cancelling AFL games. One player catches it and whole team could be quarantined for 2 weeks.

They’re also talking about using football stadiums for quarantine. If there’s a possibility of cancelling GP and Olympics then there’s a good chance of cancelling AFL games. One player catches it and whole team could be quarantined for 2 weeks.
I'd go as far predicting the competition would halt indefinitely until the issue was resolved.

This is coming and is scary in the ways it is contagious. There are people who have the virus but display no symptons.
One way to contain its spread is to avoid social gatherings. I think the olympics will get canned and there is a high possibility that players will either play to empty stadiums for tv only or it gets wrapped up and revisit the season when the all clear is given. Schools may be closed for a time as well and government shuts down to help us ease into living with covid-19.
Scientists are saying that time will come when it is well established and covid-19 becomes a common ailment along with the flue and colds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do believe the Olympics will be cancelled. You can’t have people travelling from all over the world going to Tokyo and then flying back to their countries afterwards. It’s just a disaster if that happens. I admit to feeling extremely apprehensive even going to Optus Stadium and sitting there for a game. No cases yet means nothing. This can escalate fast. I like sport but it’s not worth your entire life. I’ll happily stay home.

I do believe the Olympics will be cancelled. You can’t have people travelling from all over the world going to Tokyo and then flying back to their countries afterwards. It’s just a disaster if that happens. I admit to feeling extremely apprehensive even going to Optus Stadium and sitting there for a game. No cases yet means nothing. This can escalate fast. I like sport but it’s not worth your entire life. I’ll happily stay home.
agree... can't have everyone there being a party to well.... murder.. not that it is that but it is death somehow...

bloody hell it is sad.. why does life have to be so difficult?

have a 5 team competition lol
melb
gws
gold coast
adel
fremantle

adelaide would probably win the flag against the giants in an upset at the mcg, and dockers & suns either wooden spooners

If there was a zombie apocalypse, I’d hope we could at least get some Moneyball action - Zombie DFS. 3 points for a headshot, 4 for a decapitation, 2 for each limb removal.

Pretty confident Pendles wouldn't get bitten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back