What would happen if a season was cancelled ?

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Depends on the reason why the season got cancelled. If it was say for the coronavirus, zombie apocalypse, nuclear war or something of that magnitude, then I daresay the world has bigger things to worry about then getting their footy fix.

If it was for another lower level reason say a players strike, then the AFL could be liable for a lot of money (broadcast, sponsorships etc) depending on how their contracts are structured.
Player strike would come under industrial action which is a pretty standard force majeure clause liability carve out.

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The comp was less than 20 years old and managed to keep running during the first world war, it's obviously much larger and better resourced now but also requires more admin to function. It's hard to imagine just a single season being cancelled for anything, I think anything that leads to a season being called off would have to border on being a total end of the league.

we could tell all the bogans there's a special one off game for the season. 18 team lightning rounds tournament. in tasmania. coolest game ever omg garry abblett and chris judd on the same team wow my bogan heart is beating so fast. fly them all there and nuke the place. boom. better country for everyone

Barring a nuclear war or other world ending thing, probably the only thing that would end it would be some kind of massive travel restriction.

Either some massive quarantine issue (unlikely) or the Greens come to power and as part of their efforts to drive us back to the stone age, force airlines to shut down.

Either way, I dare say local comps would continue, and 'AFL' players would play in them, and those in charge will work on the biggest local comp.

In effect, the non-Vic nightmare where the AFL really does become the VFL again (most of the players, admin and probably the bulk of the media rights).

7qvMdCU.gif

Stop the virus from happening in the first place. Stick chop sticks up the arse of whoever it was responsible for making that bat soup that started this mess in the first place.

People in attendance, officials and players may randomly appear naked during the course of an AFL game
**** off I just saved the planet from SARS.2

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
As someone said if war, corona or an extreme event occured then it would be impossible to tell as everyones lives and the whole social situation would change. Comp would be restructured on return.
If teams were cheating say drugs salary cap etc then there would be a special draft Essendon style and 18 teams would be cobbled together

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
This is not a thread to discuss Corona virus per say but what would be the repercussions for the game if the AFL had to call off a season for any reason ?

Interested to hear your thoughts
In 1919, football leagues across Australia, including all of them in Tasmania, called off the season due to the worldwide influenza epidemic. The next year, they played footy again.

They'd be fine, although the big story would be the resultant insurance battle the AFL would have to fight with their insurers...

Back