What would happen to Sydney if the COLA was removed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This classic McGuire. He doesnt give a s**t that Footscray haven't won a flag in his life time. He doesn't give a s**t about equalisation, the only thing he cares about is that somebody has an advantage over Collingwood, but he presents it in a way that he's out to protect the little guy, the defender of the "Heartland".

I'd have to agree. Whatever suits the argument at the time. Give away a couple of Pies' Friday night slots and blockbusters and give them to teams like the Dogs or Melbourne, and you'd see a change pretty quick.

That, and any kind of constraint on footy department spending. Talk about footy department restrictions and you'll see him dive onto the other side of the table to the Dogs and Melbourne, quick as a flash.

I just happen to be on McGuire's side in this case. The COLA needs to change in some way... and the AFL taking control of it, administering it, but still keeping it at 9.8% is just window dressing. Won't change the extra head-room the Swans have in their TPP.

.......McGuire said that while the expansion of the code was important, so was protecting its heartland by supporting teams like the Bulldogs."I believe that the Western Bulldogs are more important, to be perfectly honest, than Greater Western Sydney.
"We have to keep the heartland here in Melbourne absolutely thriving and the Bulldogs play a magnificent part of that and that's why not just Collingwood but Hawthorn and the big clubs say we're happy for the Bulldogs to get extra money to keep alive because they play a significant role in the fabric of this great game."

McGuire said even Collingwood, "the richest club in Australia", did not consider recruiting Franklin because "in the context of the salary cap and the way it is meant to work, you've got no chance of doing these things unless you've got an artificial advantage"......
This classic McGuire. He doesnt give a s**t that Footscray haven't won a flag in his life time. He doesn't give a s**t about equalisation, the only thing he cares about is that somebody has an advantage over Collingwood, but he presents it in a way that he's out to protect the little guy, the defender of the "Heartland".
Why should he care if the bulldogs or my tigers or you team don't win a flag? All he is asking is that no teams have an unfair advantage through no means of their own. It is a competition we are in isn't it?

It is super hard to take away, as those players have contracts entitling them to x amount of dollars. If you take away the COLA from Sydney, their contracts are violated. So unfortunately we may be stuck with it for a while yet.

It is super hard to take away, as those players have contracts entitling them to x amount of dollars. If you take away the COLA from Sydney, their contracts are violated. So unfortunately we may be stuck with it for a while yet.

You're right. You could be almost certain that if they removed the COLA it would be phased out over a number of years to allow for existing contracts to be completed. I'd imagine reasonable people who are opponents of the COLA would be OK with this as it is the only reasonable way to get to the end result they require.

Hypothetically if they cut it immediately for next season and Sydney exceeded the cap by 9.8% next year it would be a legal nightmare trying to impose sanctions on the club.

How the heck do people survive in Sydney if they earn under $70 000. This is b/s**t.

This is the thing though, there's Sydney (Eastern suburbs, north shore, inner west, even down to the southern beaches) then there is the rest of the joint where the great proportion of people live, the great western Sydney, which no body ever visits (unless they have relatives out there) which is at best bland suburbia and at worst a massive, massive s**t hole.

It's like when people go to Melbourne as a vistor, you stay in the city or the inner suburbs, you don't venture out to where most of the population live. I've been to Melbourne many times but a couple of years ago I had to go over for work for a week. I had to spend an hour each way on the Monash Freeway and soon realised looking around at the thousands of idiots bumper to bumper with me that for the vast majority of the population that dont live in the inner suburbs either. Just boring bland suburbia. The bigger the city, the less money you make the further you live out.

It's all relative though. The hip and exciting inner city of Sydney would appeal to many young footballers. If you want to live that lifestyle, you pay a premium, if you don't move to the burbs.

phased in as the overall salary cap increases

Jeez its like weaning off a dummy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny, because I seem to remember Eddie saying not too long ago (when he was living in Sydney) that he thought the COLA was justified.

It is if it is paid to Rookies on $40k per year trying to rent and eat in Sydney.

To lure two big names and pay 20% of the salary cap to 2 players. You're kidding yourself and in denial.

Thats because both sydney teams are greedy, and despite having an advantage, seek to push the rules as far as they possibly can, then give themselves a nice pat on the back

Welll congratulations, your cola is history

You cooked your goose

lol.

Eddie has been saying it for 11 years, just that no one really cared that it was Collingwood and Port that had to face the "Super Lions" back in the early 2000's.

...yes, but everyone knows Eddie is full of crap, and we cant trust a word he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back