Coach What would it take for you to be okay with Harvey being appointed coach next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
For me; I think if we keep this attacking style consistent for the next three weeks and maybe one more win in that time, I wouldn't be opposed to Harvey getting a sniff at the full time gig to be honest. I'm LOVING the attacking balls out style. I'm LOVING the passion of the team that has been missing for a while. I'm LOVING the kids being played and bringing so much passion and emotion into it. I'm LOVING the risk, my biggest issue with Buckley was it felt like there was 0 risk in the gameplan, I love high risk, high reward.

Seems like the team is really up and about feeling refreshed under Harvey to be honest.

For me; I think if we keep this attacking style consistent for the next three weeks and maybe one more win in that time, I wouldn't be opposed to Harvey getting a sniff at the full time gig to be honest. I'm LOVING the attacking balls out style. I'm LOVING the passion of the team that has been missing for a while. I'm LOVING the kids being played and bringing so much passion and emotion into it. I'm LOVING the risk, my biggest issue with Buckley was it felt like there was 0 risk in the gameplan, I love high risk, high reward.

Seems like the team is really up and about feeling refreshed under Harvey to be honest.

It's extremely common for teams to come out playing a better brand of footy when a care taker coach takes over and the season is gone because the pressure is off. Harvey has been with us for a very long time with little success, he is a very poor speaker and has been rejected by virtually every club with a senior coach vacancy in the past 5 years...

Would be a massive mistake to give the caretaker the job, other clubs have fallen for it and regretted it.

I question how much of the shift is due to the coaching change. In Buckley's last 3-4 weeks we started to adjust and improve highlighted by a full release of the shackles in his last game, the likes of Hoskin-Elliott and Thomas started to find better form and the kids started to contribute more. The latter two including additional youth finding their feet isn't to be underestimated and how much of that is on a different style vs the individual is difficult to assess. For example Hoskin-Elliott certainly looked better on a wing, but that may have occurred without the adjustment in game plan. While Henry and Macrae appear to have benefitted from a block of footy in the twos after an interrupted 2020.

Credit to Harvey for not reverting to the slow stagnant footy of early year though. I also think he's found more confidence in the role the longer he's had it. There were a lot of ums in his first few media conferences, which seem to be reducing. Conversely we still seems to lack a plan B though once sides have taken away our ability to execute plan A. That ability to shift tactics within a game for me is something good coaching panels have, which is often driven by the head coach. Perhaps a better tactician as an assistant would overcome this, but the risk with a good assistant is they leave for a promotion.

If we go with Harvey we have to back him in for 3 years. The worst thing we could do for the club and also Harvey is an extension of caretaker mode into 2022. Keeping Worsfold on in 2020 wasted a year for Essendon and Shaw in 1999 lead to a spoon. Roos as caretaker in his part-year impressed enough that the signed Wallace was overlooked. While Roos was in the same year as Eade was sacked, what happens to a side agreement for '23 with Clarkson (as an example) if we lift dramatically on the ladder in '22? Tank the year to ensure it doesn't happen and with risk killing the culture like Carlton.

With a proper process in place I'll back the club on this one.

Last edited:

I think this is a false dawn….West Coast were entirely off and yes you can argue we played our guts out and attacked but that tactic would have also caught the other teams by surprise…will be interesting to see how the hawks adjust to this new game style.

I think playing attacking is foolish if you don’t have the cattle to execute, our kicking is atrocious. Hopefully through drafting and trades we can improve that for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is still mathematically possible for us to make finals (obviously it’s highly dependent on other results)

So, hey, if we do win the 2021 Premiership, then we’d be churlish not to give Harvey the senior coaching gig.

Win the final three games playing an attacking style and he would have to be a top 5 candidate. I have heard constantly that the players love him.

If he gets the gig, bring in Chocco as his assistant.
😁

Win the final three games playing an attacking style and he would have to be a top 5 candidate. I have heard constantly that the players love him.

If he gets the gig, bring in Chocco as his assistant.
😁

We don't need a coach the players love we need a coach the players fear and respect and will go to war for, like Mick and Leigh Matthews.
Like Sheedy and Clarko.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back