What would it take for you to stop watching AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

The skill level and tactics used in the 90's were s**t in comparison to what we see today.

Ironically, That's actually part of the problem.

Particularly with fitness levels leading to so many players being clustered around the ball, it means that the way the game is played now isn't very attractive any more.

Already watch a hell of a lot less than I used to.

Get bored/annoyed easily watching games and flick channels.

Dont go to games any more. Used to go to min.20-30/year, trips to Melb for footy etc... in 2019 I went to 1 game and was only coz I got a free ticket.

I always want Eagles to win and wish them the best but its become lower on my priority list as the years have passed.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm taking all these above responses with a grain of salt. Anyone that trawls and posts on an AFL forum in the middle of December is pretty heavily invested in the sport I'd have thought.
Thats true. Its all inbuilt now. Watching/listening/reading for 30 years day in day out will do that.

I think (for me) its just getting older and losing the excitement... like Christmas and The Royal show as a kid to now.

Still love my Eagles but doesnt effect my whole week if we lose like it used to.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Meh, we live in a soft society in 2019. People complain about everything.

I can't believe the argument of the players being bland. We just had GAJ who will go down as arguably the best midfielder ever, or at least since Matthews with guys like Judd running around in the same period. 10 years before that we had Voss, Buckley and Hird. We now have Danger, Fyfe and Dusty with Bont and Cripps ready to take the reigns. Thats not even mentioning guys like Pendles, Selwood, Cousins, Goodes, Black etc. That's just midfielders.

Sure there are no Carey or Ablett, but Buddy isn't far off. Rance isn't that far off Scarlett or SOS either (Scarlett was recent anyway).

People have been complaining for 20 years, my uncle stopped following in the very early 00's because the competition became "to professional ". Still a great game. Constant changes are pissing me off, but I won't stop following the sport.

The skill level and tactics used in the 90's were s**t in comparison to what we see today.

The late 90's were an outlier in Aussie rules history with several ATG forwards all playing at the same time; Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, and to a lesser degree Modra. That's an aberration, not the norm, and people forget that.

What sports do you prefer today?

I disagree with the skill level.
I think 90's footballers were better skilled on both sides of the body. Name at least 3 players who are capable of going either side?
I also believe they were better marks of the ball. Much more kicking to packs which meant you had to be decent overhead to get a game.
Today, it's all about chipping the ball around gathering 2 quick possessions in succession before going diagonally across the field.

Players today are fitter but in terms of skill, nope.

It was not just those forwards you mentioned, think of S. Rocca, Neitz, Carey, Salmon, Lloyd, Richardson, Kernahan, Sumich, Grant . . . these guys were comparable to any one of Fevola, Kennedy, Riewoldt's, Hawkins, Daniher, Cameron. I actually think they were better players than today's player.

I love NFL and that's it.
Aussie Rules is no longer the game it was. Too much media analysis on a rather simple game. It's really not a game of chess like the NFL. It's about using the draft and free agency to secure as many high end players as possible in a small period of time in order to bank on success.

A club testing performance enhancing drugs on its entire list and the AFL administration doing everything it can to discredit and diminish the anti drug authority in an effort to sweep it under the carpet. Including having its minions in the sports press call it a supplements program.

That would do it every time.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I get annoyed with the hierarchy of the AFL, who in my opinion do not give a flying fig about supporters of any club.I am older and do not wish to live in the past because the actual footy players now are way better than 30 years ago.The tinkering and manipulation by McLachlan and TV is really what annoys me. Almost every decision these people make is to the detriment of the fans who are the real custodians of the game.The AFL deliberately create off season controversy to keep headlines in the media. eg. half time back to 10 minutes. It is really disappointing and this is why my vintage get disillusioned and eventually tune out. While I am at it, that fooker McLachlan has to go.

More stupid rule changes and
I get annoyed with the hierarchy of the AFL, who in my opinion do not give a flying fig about supporters of any club.I am older and do not wish to live in the past because the actual footy players now are way better than 30 years ago.The tinkering and manipulation by McLachlan and TV is really what annoys me. Almost every decision these people make is to the detriment of the fans who are the real custodians of the game.The AFL deliberately create off season controversy to keep headlines in the media. eg. half time back to 10 minutes. It is really disappointing and this is why my vintage get disillusioned and eventually tune out. While I am at it, that fooker McLachlan has to go.

Add the state of commentating and biasm and I couldn’t agree more. The day Gil goes will be the best thing to happen to our sport

Ironically, That's actually part of the problem.

Particularly with fitness levels leading to so many players being clustered around the ball, it means that the way the game is played now isn't very attractive any more.
The rule changes in 2019 had practically no effect on fixing the rolling scrum issue.

I think 90's footballers were better skilled on both sides of the body. Name at least 3 players who are capable of going either side?
I also believe they were better marks of the ball. Much more kicking to packs which meant you had to be decent overhead to get a game.
Today, it's all about chipping the ball around gathering 2 quick possessions in succession before going diagonally across the field.

Some good points there. I agree that few modern players are equally skilled using both sides, hand or foot. To me, the focus on holding possession of the ball has only been made possible by the far greater field kicking skills you see now. In the vfl days, an overhead game was more necessary because tactics were so raw; bombing it into the forward line was seen as a good option much of the time.
It was not just those forwards you mentioned, think of S. Rocca, Neitz, Carey, Salmon, Lloyd, Richardson, Kernahan, Sumich, Grant . . . these guys were comparable to any one of Fevola, Kennedy, Riewoldt's, Hawkins, Daniher, Cameron. I actually think they were better players than today's player.
I agree with that, but that's part of my point. The first tier forwards today are, at best, the equal of the second tier forwards of the 90's. I missed Carey from my earlier list of ATG's only by accident.

Aussie Rules is no longer the game it was. Too much media analysis on a rather simple game. It's really not a game of chess like the NFL. It's about using the draft and free agency to secure as many high end players as possible in a small period of time in order to bank on success.
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

I'm taking all these above responses with a grain of salt. Anyone that trawls and posts on an AFL forum in the middle of December is pretty heavily invested in the sport I'd have thought.

Dead right. The hand wringing of the self-unaware

Ironically the OP suggested that those on bigfooty are some of the most rusted on fans going around. The truth is the only the thing disproportionate about bigfooty folk in terms of rusted on-ness is how rusted on so many are to whinging.

This is probably more true in the off season as witnessed in this thread. It is mid December and this thread is disproportionately full of pages of people telling us how little they like - nay watch - the modern game. Almost pure self parody

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peak stupid.

Forwards who used to kick more goals in a tactically naive era where they used to play largely man-on-man and have paddocks to lead into are better players than

Forwards that play against organised defences that deny any space to receive the ball from midfields also denied any space

Ausssie rules was a simple game and now it isn't. At least most the nostalgic whingers here are consistent in their whinging - they'd prefer the game was the simple tactically naive game of their childhood. But you are lauding NFL as chess???

Dead right. The hand wringing of the self-unaware

Ironically the OP suggested that those on bigfooty are some of the most rusted on fans going around. The truth is the only the thing disproportionate about bigfooty folk in terms of rusted on-ness is how rusted on so many are to whinging.

This is probably more true in the off season as witnessed in this thread. It is mid December and this thread is disproportionately full of pages of people telling us how little they like - nay watch - the modern game. Almost pure self parody

This is true to an extent, but continuing to be involved in something out of habit doesn’t necessarily reflect the way you feel about it. Happens in marriages all the time.

You nailed it not that many will agree with you, they are too short sighted. Most of the problems are starting with how juniors are being trained up & just for example, last season Peter Sumich spoke of his frustration with his WA under 18's at training - they wanted to setup in zones defensively & he had to force them back to man on man & play the way he wanted.

Premier League is the Premier League's name.

The 2018/19 season was the 27th of the Premier League after its formation in 1992.

After numerous discussions with football authorities, players and television broadcasters, the First Division clubs resigned from the Football League in May 1992 and the Premier League was formed, with the inaugural campaign starting on Saturday 15 August of that year.

Below, each of the 26 seasons has been charted with the story of how the titles were won and the players who starred.

From 2011/12's incredible finale, to Arsenal's "Invincibles", as well as Manchester United's record 13 triumphs, find out more about the rich history of the Premier League.

Premier League is the Premier League's name.

Call it the English Premier League if you have to, instead of the initials. But initials make it easier to type.

We are not in that God forsaken country, so we need to show that it is the premier league in that country, and nowhere else.

For everyone else it’s just the best league in that part of Great Britain (plus the bits of Wales that have been completely subjugated). Some of the other European soccer competitions have higher paid players or higher average attendances, or win inter league competitions more often, which would suggest that they are better.

Next you’ll be asking me to call Soccer football. Imperialist scum.

Call it the English Premier League if you have to, instead of the initials. But initials make it easier to type.

We are not in that God forsaken country, so we need to show that it is the premier league in that country, and nowhere else.

For everyone else it’s just the best league in that part of Great Britain (plus the bits of Wales that have been completely subjugated). Some of the other European soccer competitions have higher paid players or higher average attendances, or win inter league competitions more often, which would suggest that they are better.

Next you’ll be asking me to call Soccer football. Imperialist scum.

The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure you are not even allowed to use "English". It's just the "Premier League"!!!

You hear that it was common for people well in to the 20th century for certain Australians to use the term "home" to describe england - at least Britain was still a relevant force with an empire then. Now it pretty much just has its soccer competition left as it accelerates its economic and political decline with Brexit.

The residual cultural cringing in 2019 to a country that will probably have half our GDP per capita within decades is just ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back