What would it take for you to stop watching AFL?

Steven Gerrard

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Steven Gerrard's perspective may be influenced by Liverpool being really good and Port Adelaide being not really good.

If, say, West Coast could essentially buy a final four finish every year there wouldn't be many Eagles fans finding cause to watch something else.
Steven Gerrard's perspective may be influenced by Liverpool being really good and Port Adelaide being not really good.

If, say, West Coast could essentially buy a final four finish every year there wouldn't be many Eagles fans finding cause to watch something else.

I follow both teams religiously, even Port in the SANFL, and Melb Victory also. I know with Liverpool, no matter where they finish, it is deserved. Yet when Port was a chance to win flags in the early 2000s, it had to avoid one final in Melbourne rule, it had to watch Brisbane buying home games against Melbourne (as if competing with the Lions for top spot wasn't hard enough) etc etc. And that's my whole point, the AFL is a fake comp. Love the game, but really tired of the AFL as a league.

Another 7 home games for Rihcmond gifting them another * Premiership.
Actually 2019 was probably the hardest fought premiership in VFL/AFL history when you consider that Richmond was not allowed to play all it's home games on it's home ground, it's home ground is the most neutral in the league, and 3 rules were brought in specifically designed to "bring Richmond back to the field". Compare that to the Eagles who have arguably the biggest home ground advantage in the comp and are the beneficiaries of unprecedented umpiring favouritism, as well getting given much better compensation for free agents.

That Richmond won the premiership so easily is testament to how superior this team is to any other in the comp. That's the real threat to the AFL. It isn't good for the comp that Richmond are so very much better than everyone else. They're wrecking footy. Hence your saltiness.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually 2019 was probably the hardest fought premiership in VFL/AFL history when you consider that Richmond was not allowed to play all it's home games on it's home ground, it's home ground is the most neutral in the league, and 3 rules were brought in specifically designed to "bring Richmond back to the field". Compare that to the Eagles who have arguably the biggest home ground advantage in the comp and are the beneficiaries of unprecedented umpiring favouritism, as well getting given much better compensation for free agents.

That Richmond won the premiership so easily is testament to how superior this team is to any other in the comp. That's the real threat to the AFL. It isn't good for the comp that Richmond are so very much better than everyone else. They're wrecking footy. Hence your saltiness.

Which three rules were designed specifically to bring Richmond back to the field? And you’ve used quotation marks - who are you quoting?

Which three rules were designed specifically to bring Richmond back to the field? And you’ve used quotation marks - who are you quoting?
The 666 rule designed to stop Richmond setting up behind the ball
The ruck rule (the Grigg rule)
And the kicking out after a behind rule making it harder to lock the ball in the forward line.
The quote came from one of the AFL executives.

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

How did your club manage to get Lynch within the salary cap ? with Rance, Cotchin, Martin all on premium money. As usual it will come out after about 5 years that the AFL knew and allowed it to happen, I'm not salty about you guys winning it. Quite the opposite because it meant Geelong didn't.

How did your club manage to get Lynch within the salary cap ? with Rance, Cotchin, Martin all on premium money. As usual it will come out after about 5 years that the AFL knew and allowed it to happen, I'm not salty about you guys winning it. Quite the opposite because it meant Geelong didn't.
Totally above board
Lynch was only on 500k this year. Rance, Cotchin and Rewoldt and others took pay cuts. Team culture is what made Richmond successful.
Luckily for West Coast, the AFL swept all the drugs business under the carpet. Pretty typical for the AFL to bend over backwards for the Eagles. With all the leg ups given to you, the AFL should be called the WCFL.
Although I loved it when you guys won 2018.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics

We also won the 2019 flag without the best defender of the modern era according to the GOAT Leigh Matthews. It's quite amazing that we over came those odds won our home games unlike the previous premier and dominated the finals series for the 2nd time in 3 years.

I reckon if we do it again in 2020 a lot of salty flogs might just quit watching AFL forever.

Here's hoping 😂

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We also won the 2019 flag without the best defender of the modern era according to the GOAT Leigh Matthews. It's quite amazing that we over came those odds won our home games unlike the previous premier and dominated the finals series for the 2nd time in 3 years.

I reckon if we do it again in 2020 a lot of salty flogs might just quit watching AFL forever.

Here's hoping 😂
Hey look even though Rancy is a good old WA boy he sits quite firmly behind Jacovich as best modern defender.

You're delusional
Now now. Don't be upset.
The intent of the rule changes were obvious.
Being a great team with a great coach, Richmond were able to overcome them.
Luckily for Collingwood, the AFL bends over backwards to give your club leg ups to help it compete. They do the opposite for Richmond. They need to. Richmond is so far ahead of the rest, it's ruining football.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Significant rule changes which rip the integrity out of the sport. The last few years has flirted with this, but I've still enjoyed the standard of footy well enough.

If the broadcaster's cynicism is still nowhere near rock bottom yet, then that might kill my FTA interest.

But like with tennis, it is a lifelong passion, so the idea of ignoring an entire season is hard to fathom.

Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm less interested in AFL than I ever have been and now getting more into basketball. If we keep getting future stars to the NBL, I'll start going to more games. We've had a good run with AFL but it won't take much for a generational change to bring about a decline. with the $800 a year I pay to my membership, I feel I could get so much more for my money.

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Right with you on this, token interest these days as AFL is a sport that is not comparable to the sport called Aussie Rules I grew up playing and watching.
The entire league is so sanitised and without life.
Friday night footy once a highlight has now become a Victorian snore fes, only really watch the Eagles now. Have handed in my membership as it is really is more a sponsorship than a membership. Much prefer to give my money to my WAFL club that needs it.
Totally over the rule changes and the absolute stupidity of clubs choosing 18 year old kids over good footballers. It’s like one big kindergarten league.
I could go on and on, a sport I once lived and breathed lost me many years ago in regards to caring anymore. Clearly many do care though but I find they care about their clubs first and the sport itself second which in my eyes is back to front.
Anyway it is what it is now, I will keep watching the Eagles but as the sport has changed so much there is nothing I can do about that.

Excellent post.

I guess it's a generational thing but to me AFL is a different game. Why? Becuz most traditional positions [wing, center, back pocket, full forward etc] are gone. One-on-one is gone. We now have a soccer back 6. That's a clue. And basketball zoning.

Kicking backwards - the 2 animals on the Oz coat of arms are physically unable to take a backwards step. Kicking backwards is un-Australian.

Long distance runners/athletes chasing a ball but can't kick. Under-10 scrums [now called "congestion" - formerly a medical term]. Hamsters on acid - see congestion [thanks, interchange bench] creating ridiculous pressure so that there is no time to execute traditional kicking skills.

Playing rookies.

Such a shame.

Suburban league is ur-Aussie Rules. That's why when in Oz I watch the Double Blues in the SANFL at Unley Oval.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
A Cat-astrophe

Couldn't resist. Tim Kelly leaving the club. That would make me stop watching the game and I'd swear never to watch another game again. Until the first bounce of pre-season.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
"One is financed by organised crime. AFL isn’t."

Financed by organised crime? Even if you're right, it just goes to show, the EPL appeals to all walks of life. Criminals tend to do business where there is money to be made. The AFL makes peanuts in comparison.

"One is so mindlessly moronic that even you can understand it, AFL isn’t."

Meh, be more specific.

"One is called the most skilful code by many of those mindless morons, when truth is the sport is the most basic there is, such that even a two year old can kick and dribble. The other has skills that we sadly underestimate. Bouncing while sprinting, high marks, tackling, handballing, kicking a 60m punt."

Watching players bend a ball around a wall and beat a keeper top left corner vs watching a player miss from 20 out dead in front with goals that are infinitely high.

"One leads to brain damage in our kids, because the sport encourages contact of the head to the ball. Footy doesn’t."

How many concussions do we see in the AFL compared to the EPL? I have not checked the stats but don't pretend Aussie Rules is immune to head injuries. Honestly it sucks to be you.

"One has full stadiums of 15,000. Only 8 stadia in the Uk have a capacity of over 50,000. The other has massive attendances and club memberships considering the population."

English clubs in the top flight own their stadiums, clubs in the top flight here barely have enough coins to make a down payment to buy a paddock with some chairs running around the boundary. AFL clubs are forced to ground rationalise. One day it's Richmond's home ground, next day it's Collingwood, depending on the CONTRIVED draw that the AFL puts out. Would you share your house with your worst enemy? And yet you use the adjective "mindlessly moronic". Go figure. Not even going to bother going hard on you regarding your claim about popularity. But as a quick reference, I checked Facebook. AFL, 1M followers. Prem 43M, La Liga, 57M, Collingwood 362K, Barcelona 103M, Christiano Ronaldo 122M. One "sokkah" player alone has more followers than every single AFL related page on FB, and that includes fan pages that the anonymous start up. If China was allowed to use FB, the numbers would be higher. If you knew the popularity of this sport around the world, the numbers would make your head spin. The world is now considered a single market so there is no excuse for the AFL in lagging well behind.

"One is called soccer, not football. You could call it unAustralian football, I guess."

Association Football and Australian Rules.
Some posters are not going to like this

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
One is financed by organised crime. AFL isn’t.

One is so mindlessly moronic that even you can understand it, AFL isn’t.
One is called the most skilful code by many of those mindless morons, when truth is the sport is the most basic there is, such that even a two year old can kick and dribble. The other has skills that we sadly underestimate. Bouncing while sprinting, high marks, tackling, handballing, kicking a 60m punt.

One leads to brain damage in our kids, because the sport encourages contact of the head to the ball. Footy doesn’t.

One has full stadiums of 15,000. Only 8 stadia in the Uk have a capacity of over 50,000. The other has massive attendances and club memberships considering the population.

One is called soccer, not football. You could call it unAustralian football, I guess.

Sucks to be you.
" One is financed by organised crime, AFL isn't"
Enlighten us more

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Totally above board
Lynch was only on 500k this year. Rance, Cotchin and Rewoldt and others took pay cuts. Team culture is what made Richmond successful.
Luckily for West Coast, the AFL swept all the drugs business under the carpet. Pretty typical for the AFL to bend over backwards for the Eagles. With all the leg ups given to you, the AFL should be called the WCFL.
Although I loved it when you guys won 2018.
stop making sense... dude me had you at first pull of the ball.. we try grappa,.. we try port... we try lemon... take it from here dude...

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

ructions will come your way... they are not happy.. start planning your hideout...

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Last edited:
Back