What Would U Like See Against the Dees On Monday 8th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad to hear a coherent counter-argument.
I would only add that when he did play in defence, he did take a number of contested marks and routinely intercepted kicks. As for his kicking in defence, if I remember correctly, he played within his limitations. I don't recall being overly worried as I am with Gardiner or was with Suckling.

Still your points are well made.

Tell me, though, are you at all concerned that he is a little reckless with his own body up forward, not protecting himself in packs and likely to remain injury prone? Or do you believe it is just a run of bad luck and he is overdue for an extended healthy run?
You're right about his kicking, he stayed within his limitations which usually meant sideways kicks to open team mates. Ideally I think you want your interceptors to be able hit a quick kick up the field while the opposition is positioned offensively to take advantage of the turn over. I don't think Naughtons kicking will ever be at that level so the quick rebound would depend on players coming past for the quick hand pass. With the new man on the mark rule you could probably do that fairly consistently but it does add a layer of predictability.

As for the injuries I can't say I remember clearly how many times he has been injured in a marking contest but I think it was only really the arm last year. The knee against GWS was in a tackle.

I actually think Naughton has remarkable body control when flying for marks as he often seems to be the only one left standing in quite a few big pack situations.

I do get nervous when he launches over the top of packs but I think if we tried to stop Naughton flying for marks we're robbing him of his greatest weapon.

I can completely see the argument for pushing him back and wouldn't complain if he was in the short term but long term I think he's got the potential to be a once in a generation forward.

How come? He’s been pretty unequivocal about his body being right and Bevo seemed to agree he was physically ready in the presser.
Medico Chris says he’s fit for round one. What surprised me was him saying Woody is also back in full training and will be up for selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back