what would you do (disrespected by tax agent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ive known my agent for years locally, played sport with them. Only of last year done my tax through them for first time in years. I told them my situation about university and needing the submission to clear prior to payment of invoice. I made a mistake on my bsb details so it took much longer to clear than i wanted. This year my invoice is a good $600 so i was hoping to get the submission to ato cleared before making payment considering my return is about 5k. They rang me today to inform me because of last years delay they wont be submitting to ato until i make payment even given my return, being at uni and low on funds this time of year i hardly think they are giving me any respect. I thought they might have handled things differently. But in the end may verywell lose a customer.

Is this good business practice, what would you do in my shoes?

In my experience fees get taken out of the return before I recieve money, I have to sign and agree I this in there forms. Seems yiu are being hard some by IMO, maybe make your situation clear and state that you will go elsewhere unless something similar to the oboe occurs?

because i have a shorfall in money during semesters
My understating was that you can only claim educational expenses that can help improve the career you are currently employed in and that HECS were not able to be claimed.

I could be wrong though, I do have a pretty good knowledge on tax, but i'm not a tax accountant

My understating was that you can only claim educational expenses that can help improve the career you are currently employed in and that HECS were not able to be claimed.

I could be wrong though, I do have a pretty good knowledge on tax, but i'm not a tax accountant

You're correct as far as I'm aware... HECS debts aren't deductible.

You're correct as far as I'm aware... HECS debts aren't deductible.
Im not sure he just told me because id paid $x in hecs fees because of a lop sided wage($1500 p wkfor 6 weeks etc) then earning less than the 53k over the whole year, im entitled to that money back, because it is stored away and not payable to the hecs loan until the tax return. I think what ive said was confused.

Im talking about money ive contributed already. Can you see how if someone earned 2k per week for 15 weeks of the year and is slugged fully for the hecs would be severely disadvantaged.

Im not sure he just told me because id paid $x in hecs fees because of a lop sided wage($1500 p wkfor 6 weeks etc) then earning less than the 53k over the whole year, im entitled to that money back, because it is stored away and not payable to the hecs loan until the tax return. I think what ive said was confused.

Im talking about money ive contributed already. Can you see how if someone earned 2k per week for 15 weeks of the year and is slugged fully for the hecs would be severely disadvantaged.

Yup - I'm not sure how the system works in that case but what you're saying makes sense.

I assume it would work the same way that income tax does. You remit it to the ATO based on a weekly. fortnightly, monthly payment structure, but at the end of the year you either have an outstanding amount, a surplus amount, or have paid the right amount. You would then get a credit back or request for payment depending on where you sit.

I assume it would work the same way that income tax does. You remit it to the ATO based on a weekly. fortnightly, monthly payment structure, but at the end of the year you either have an outstanding amount, a surplus amount, or have paid the right amount. You would then get a credit back or request for payment depending on where you sit.

I think that's what he is saying - had a binge work week - heaps of HECS got auto-deducted - but because of his total annual income he actually doesn't need to pay any HECS, so he should get the entire amount refunded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owns a rental property, no doubt negatively geared, reckons he's entitled to a 5k return.

Is it any wonder to anyone why Abbott and Hockey want to cut services?

I think that's what he is saying - had a binge work week - heaps of HECS got auto-deducted - but because of his total annual income he actually doesn't need to pay any HECS, so he should get the entire amount refunded.

I know, he should get any excess he paid back once completing his tax return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back