What would you do if you held the reins.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are in a hole at the moment. What would you do if you were in charge of the club? This is what my strategy would be. What's yours?

1. Use due diligence to find the best coach that you can get. Whatever the price

2. Get the best available assistant coaches, medicos, recruiters etc. Pay the goddamn tax. A successful Collingwood can well and truly afford it.

3. We are going to have a top 10 possibly a top 5 pick this year. Take that and add to it the following:
Trade Pendles. Top 10 pick plus second rounder
Trade Sidey First rounder
Grundy will probably go. First rounder plus second rounder.
Load up on high end talent with all those picks. KPP's, skilled players. quick players

4. 2018 and 2019 we won't make finals because we will once again be a young team, so use our top 10 picks to bring in more top 10 talent plus the younger Daicos

5. Years 2020 to 2025 we have a core of very good young talent. Along with this we have guys like Treloar, Adams, Moore, Howe, Shaz, WHE, JDG who by now are the experienced backbone leadership group.

6. Between the years 2021 and 2025 we snag 1 hopefully 2 flags.

If I held the reins that is what I would do. I know many will respond to my suggesting trading Pendles with these: :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: But the truth is he is very unlikely to be part of the next push for a flag. So let him go elsewhere to a club who is in the premiership window. Give him the pleasure of playing finals again and let us benefit by using that to build our next tilt.

What would you do

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
so why is grundy probably going to go?

cant we be a little less dramatic?

1, review where we are
2. review performance of all at the club
3. make changes where needed

my opinions from another thread would indicate that the board and administration should be part of this review...not just the football side

Last edited:

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
so why is grundy probably going to go?
Put off contract talks
Collingwood not going anywhere
Adelaide teams showing lots of promise
home town Adelaide
Has not made it a secret that he misses home.

All these things I mentioned may be wrong. But have a look at the title of the thread Markfs. None of us are going to hold the reins. It's just an invitation to state what you think needs to be done to improve our position. What would you do? A simple exercise in hypotheticals

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Put off contract talks
Collingwood not going anywhere
Adelaide teams showing lots of promise
home town Adelaide
Has not made it a secret that he misses home.

All these things I mentioned may be wrong. But have a look at the title of the thread Markfs. None of us are going to hold the reins. It's just an invitation to state what you think needs to be done to improve our position. What would you do? A simple exercise in hypotheticals

I suggested we traid Pendlebury a couple of yrs ago for 2 first round picks.. why? Our premiership window was closed. It seems to be nailed in even more. Imagine reaping the benefits from it now?

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
Kudos for having a go ottomAn and ur honesty. Jeepers if u are in charge we'd be in for a wild ride. I wouldn't go as far as you but all credit for you for showing kahunas

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kudos for having a go ottomAn and ur honesty. Jeepers if u are in charge we'd be in for a wild ride. I wouldn't go as far as you but all credit for you for showing kahunas

I got my head ripped off for suggesting we trade Pendlebury for 2 first round picks 2 years ago.. how bout now?

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Still no. Peddles will play 300 games and break Tony Shaw's record. The foundation of clubs are built around him.

I agree.. but had a club offered us 2 top 10 picks for him 2 yrs ago.. what do you do when you're preniership window is nailed shut.. twiddle your thumbs?

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
I got my head ripped off for suggesting we trade Pendlebury for 2 first round picks 2 years ago.. how bout now?
30 or 40 years ago when it was all about the jumper and loyalty I would never have even entertained such a thought. But (in my view) unfortunately these things are just romanticism now. You do what needs lo be done. Pendles is not going to be a part of our next premiership. Lets take the currency while we have it and build our next tilt at a flag.

And on a side note. You only wanted to trade him two years ago because he refused to shop at IGA.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
30 or 40 years ago when it was all about the jumper and loyalty I would never have even entertained such a thought. But (in my view) unfortunately these things are just romanticism now. You do what needs lo be done. Pendles is not going to be a part of our next premiership. Lets take the currency while we have it and build our next tilt at a flag.

And on a side note. You only wanted to trade him two years ago because he refused to shop at IGA.

Pretty innovative and brave of me to bring it up 2 yrs ago.. how's that for insight?

Wed have a key forward and a young gun midfielder.. instead we've got an ageing 30 yr old who's body has been hammered from pillar to post.. and with no premiership in sight.

There is no loyalty from clubs or players.. players are expendable.. and players regardless of status make moves.. Buddy Franklin.. Callum Ward.. Griffen.. Gary Ablett.. the list goes on and on.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is no loyalty from clubs or players.. players are expendable.. and players regardless of status make moves.. Buddy Franklin.. Callum Ward.. Griffen.. Gary Ablett.. the list goes on and on.

Agree 100%. We have to accept that the days of loyalty and playing for the jumper are gone.
Players move on for better opportunities and clubs move on players regardless of who they are if they think it serves their objectives.
Hawthorn getting rid of Mitchell and Lewis are perfect examples.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Agree 100%. We have to accept that the days of loyalty and playing for the jumper are gone.
Players move on for better opportunities and clubs move on players regardless of who they are if they think it serves their objectives.

This bs about a one club player who's played 300 at the one club.. well what does that achieve.. a trophy? Yeah perhaps in their living room.

Retaining a player so he can reach a milestone although admirable.. is not going to get us glory. 2 yrs ago.. 2 top 10 picks was a damn good viable option.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

There's a few on here that can't differentiate between romanticism and what it takes to win premierships.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gee some of you are drama queens. Trade Sidebottom, grundy, pendles.. surely you jest...

I would simply get a new coach, target a decent forward and or back via trade and or draft. Nothing wrong with the list other than that. If I have to give up our first rounder plus a future first rounder so be it.

So 2 top 10 picks for Pendlebury 2 yrs ago.. silly idea? We are all quick to say no.. without giving it much thought.

Champions come and go.. never forgotten.. there's always a chanpion at the club waiting in the wings to take over the reigns.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
So 2 top 10 picks for Pendlebury 2 yrs ago.. silly idea? We are all quick to say no.. without giving it much thought.

Champions come and go.. never forgotten.. there's always a chanpion at the club waiting in the wings to take over the reigns.
If we picked up Devon smith and maybe even a Ben brown level forward in the next trade period we would be 1000x better. Moore would excel with a partner up there and smith and Elliot would be the most feared pair of small forwards in the league. We don't need to be trading off all our stars to get those guys in.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What would you do if you were in charge?

Wouldn't read bigfooty!

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If we picked up Devon smith and maybe even a Ben brown level forward in the next trade period we would be 1000x better. Moore would excel with a partner up there and smith and Elliot would be the most feared pair of small forwards in the league. We don't need to be trading off all our stars to get those guys in.

Still haven't answered my question.

2 top 10 picks for Pendlebury 2 yrs ago? Yes or no.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still haven't answered my question.

2 top 10 picks for Pendlebury 2 yrs ago? Yes or no.

My answer would be absolutely NO.

For 2 reasons

1. Simply because being a top 10 pick doesn't not guarantee they will be any good. So you potentially trade an A grade elite for average players - think Aish, Scharenberg, or maybe Freeman who won't even play an AFL game.

2. You continue to trade out senior leadership you end up like Melbourne ..... Yuk

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
My answer would be absolutely NO.

For 2 reasons

1. Simply because being a top 10 pick doesn't not guarantee they will be any good. So you potentially trade an A grade elite for average players - think Aish, Scharenberg, or maybe Freeman who won't even play an AFL game.

2. You continue to trade out senior leadership you end up like Melbourne ..... Yuk

It cost the Western Bulldogs big time losing Griffen and Ward.

Mate you need to take punts.. pro active. Nothing is a certainty. You say 2 top 10 picks doesn't guarantee they'll be any good.. well what's the difference when folk say Pendlebury will play until the age of 35. He may only have a yr or 2 in him. We get 2 top 10 draft picks.. we may have 10+ yrs in em.

If i was thinking about the club.. 2 top 10 picks 2 yrs ago for Pendlebury.. id have taken it. And if you refer to my posts on the topic on bigfooty i did suggest it 2 yrs ago.

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I were in charge.

1. Change to constitution to set maximum terms for club directors / presidents. Renewal is critical to any organisation.

2. Refresh the recruitment and development functions within the club. Double or triple our investment.

3. Get rid of the netball franchise FFS.

4. Start recruiting a new head coach now - put the feelers out. Go through a rigorous review and find the best candidate.

5. Exit Bucks at year end with dignity and respect and ensure he is treated like the legend he is.

6. Recruit a KPF to help Moore

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No... Trading off champions of your club doesn't work out well quite often. Sure we haven't done any good in that 2 years but without him we would have done a lot worse so imagine the ripple effect that could have caused

I dont see it that way.. you need to be brave and take a punt when the moment calls for it.

We were nowhere near a premiership 2 yrs ago.. it appears as though where still a fair whack away still.. 30 yr old Pendlebury.. or 2 young highly touted players.. id go for the latter.

Easy choice for me.

Back