What would you do if you held the reins.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
No... Trading off champions of your club doesn't work out well quite often. Sure we haven't done any good in that 2 years but without him we would have done a lot worse so imagine the ripple effect that could have caused

Mate champion players have been traded all over the joint in this day and age.

What makes Pendlebury so different. What's he rapped in fairy floss.

2 top 10 picks for Pendlebury and its a flat 'no' from you.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont see it that way.. you need to be brave and take a punt when the moment calls for it.

We were nowhere near a premiership 2 yrs ago.. it appears as though where still a fair whack away still.. 30 yr old Pendlebury.. or 2 young highly touted players.. id go for the latter.

Easy choice for me.
Easy in hindsight but realistically you can't just trade off your top players for picks if you aren't near a flag. You'll bottom out and be hopeless.. why doesn't Carlton trade out Murphy and Gibbs? They need good players to support the young ones

Jun 26, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Change the game plan to the following.
- Don't use the zone defence anymore.
- Play 1 on 1. Match up the opposition plus 1 in our forward half. We have a dominant midfield. Only need to look at the stats of us getting the ball inside 50. If its 1 on 1 in the forward line we are a better chance of at least scoring with all our inside 50 dominance.
- Grab Fasolo, Elliot, and inform them they are there to CRUMB the packs and not fly and compete against Mason Cox, Darcy Moore and Co. They wonder why opposition teams rebound so easily from our backline, its coz our "smalls" think they are Key Position and try to crash packs.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Easy in hindsight but realistically you can't just trade off your top players for picks if you aren't near a flag. You'll bottom out and be hopeless.. why doesn't Carlton trade out Murphy and Gibbs? They need good players to support the young ones

Sorry but what you're telling me is this

Trade 2015 - 28 yr old Pendlebury for 2 top 10 picks

2017 - 2 top 10 picks 20 yrs of age with an eye in. Pendlebury 30 with only a couple yrs left in him. Premiership no where in sight.

Easy choice for me.. you must be pro active.. and smart.. the smart choice is 2 young talented kids.

I would definitely take Petracca and Brayshaw if Melbourne were prepared to trade em for Pendlebury. See what I mean?????

If we were a top 4 side in 2017 or pushing hard for it.. i would like to see a 30 yr old Pendlebury leading the team out.. but we simply are no where near it.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Throw coin at Jackson Trengove as a FA.

Trade Sidebottom for Steven May

Draft a Key Forward with our top 4 pick we'll most likely have.

Ben Reid to FF all season.
Potentially Sam Reid as a FA, might have good chemistry with his brother.

Acquire Alistair Clarkson or a highly rated assistant e.g. Dew.

Overhaul of gameplay, play direct football.

If I were in Ed's position I run a competitive process for a new senior coach at the end of the year. Once installed look at the assistant coaching options. I would move to change the club constitution to place a time limit on all board positions, including the president.

Would sack Pert immediately.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

What you're telling me is this..

You would rather see a Pendlebury who's retired at the age of 32 played his 300th game but he is no longer at the club..

Over..

2 23 yr olds like Petracca and Brayshaw who have yrs and yrs ahead of em.

This romanticism and quotes and sayings is the stuff of the 90s.. it's Mcguireism at its finest.

The big bud leaves Hawthorn they win 2 premierships. Ablett leaves Geelong they win a premiership. Griffen and Ward leave the Dogs they win a premiership.

I rest my case.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry but what you're telling me is this

Trade 2015 - 28 yr old Pendlebury for 2 top 10 picks

2017 - 2 top 10 picks 20 yrs of age with an eye in. Pendlebury 30 with only a couple yrs left in him. Premiership no where in sight.

Easy choice for me.. you must be pro active.. and smart.. the smart choice is 2 young talented kids.

I would definitely take Petracca and Brayshaw if Melbourne were prepared to trade em for Pendlebury. See what I mean?????

If we were a top 4 side in 2017 or pushing hard for it.. i would like to see a 30 yr old Pendlebury leading the team out.. but we simply are no where near it.
We should have traded cloke off as well. We should have traded Dawes off when his value was high as well. Honestly you can say all the things in the world with hindsight. Most people thought we would be fighting for finals this year. We have been 8-3 in recent years so we all thought if we could be more consistent we could become a real threat.

What you're telling me is this..

You would rather see a Pendlebury who's retired at the age of 32 played his 300th game but he is no longer at the club..

Over..

2 23 yr olds like Petracca and Brayshaw who have yrs and yrs ahead of em.

This romanticism and quotes and sayings is the stuff of the 90s.. it's Mcguireism at its finest.

The big bud leaves Hawthorn they win 2 premierships. Ablett leaves Geelong they win a premiership. Griffen and Ward leave the Dogs they win a premiership.

I rest my case.

Hawthorn and Geelong won those flags with plenty of 30+ year olds. Pendlebury has another five years of top line footy left and is the sort of quality we can I'll afford to trade. Top ten draft picks don't guarantee success. Look at Carlton and Melbourne.

gene clark

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I got my head ripped off for suggesting we trade Pendlebury for 2 first round picks 2 years ago.. how bout now?
I'd have been more inclined to trade out Cloke after 2014. We would have got 2 first rounders easily for a declining forward who again wouldn't be around for our next flag tilt.

Instead we held on to him, watched his output and trade value plummet and off loaded him for peanuts. No guts, no foresight and no returns on this from the Club.

Pendlebury deserves to make his own call. If he wants out to play finals again then the club should facilitate that no questions asked but under no circumstances should he be moved on. He's been a generation player for the Pies (as was Swanny, it just so happened we had two at the same time) and players like that have earned the right to decide their own futures.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
We should have traded cloke off as well. We should have traded Dawes off when his value was high as well. Honestly you can say all the things in the world with hindsight. Most people thought we would be fighting for finals this year. We have been 8-3 in recent years so we all thought if we could be more consistent we could become a real threat.

Mate.. i said trade Pendlebury 2 yrs ago.. so my argument isn't at all hindsight. Give me some credit please.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Hawthorn and Geelong won those flags with plenty of 30+ year olds. Pendlebury has another five years of top line footy left and is the sort of quality we can I'll afford to trade. Top ten draft picks don't guarantee success. Look at Carlton and Melbourne.

5 yrs? Ok mate.. if you say so.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'd have been more inclined to trade out Cloke after 2014. We would have got 2 first rounders easily for a declining forward who again wouldn't be around for our next flag tilt.

Instead we held on to him, watched his output and trade value plummet and off loaded him for peanuts. No guts, no foresight and no returns on this from the Club.

Pendlebury deserves to make his own call. If he wants out to play finals again then the club should facilitate that no questions asked but under no circumstances should he be moved on. He's been a generation player for the Pies (as was Swanny, it just so happened we had two at the same time) and players like that have earned the right to decide their own futures.

I believe that sort of mentality is a thing of the past.. i would do everything with a premiership in mind.. i would never entertain the thought that players are entitled to decide their own future.. that there is another Mcguireism.

We are in a hole at the moment. What would you do if you were in charge of the club? This is what my strategy would be. What's yours?

1. Use due diligence to find the best coach that you can get. Whatever the price

2. Get the best available assistant coaches, medicos, recruiters etc. Pay the goddamn tax. A successful Collingwood can well and truly afford it.

3. We are going to have a top 10 possibly a top 5 pick this year. Take that and add to it the following:
Trade Pendles. Top 10 pick plus second rounder
Trade Sidey First rounder
Grundy will probably go. First rounder plus second rounder.
Load up on high end talent with all those picks. KPP's, skilled players. quick players

4. 2018 and 2019 we won't make finals because we will once again be a young team, so use our top 10 picks to bring in more top 10 talent plus the younger Daicos

5. Years 2020 to 2025 we have a core of very good young talent. Along with this we have guys like Treloar, Adams, Moore, Howe, Shaz, WHE, JDG who by now are the experienced backbone leadership group.

6. Between the years 2021 and 2025 we snag 1 hopefully 2 flags.

If I held the reins that is what I would do. I know many will respond to my suggesting trading Pendles with these: :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: But the truth is he is very unlikely to be part of the next push for a flag. So let him go elsewhere to a club who is in the premiership window. Give him the pleasure of playing finals again and let us benefit by using that to build our next tilt.

What would you do
You had me up until trade Pendles. You don't trade your captain and heart and soul of the club unless they want to leave themselves. Club culture is just as important as having good coaches imo, and players aren't going to respond well to someone like Pendles being pushed out. We all saw what happened with Lewis when Mitchell was shipped off to the Eagles last year.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lol someone comes out and say.. 'see what happens when you trade Lewis and Mitchell.' The Hawks were clearly over the hill last yr.. they got maulled in both finals.

Let's overlook what impact The Big Bud trade had on Hawthorn of course.

Some just wanna say things to suit themselves.

gene clark

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe that sort of mentality is a thing of the past.. i would do everything with a premiership in mind.. i would never entertain the thought that players are entitled to decide their own future.. that there is another Mcguireism.
I disagree.

Some servants of the club deserve that respect when they've produced above and beyond for us countless times on field. Like Pendles and Swan and Buckley and Brown and Daicos before them. As the saying goes you don't piss on monuments which is a lesson Hawthorn have learnt the hard way with Lewis and Mitchell shoved off after all they had done for the Hawks. All it does it disenfranchises the supporter base and creates division in the club.

I'm for making hard calls on blokes who've provided good service but probably don't fit into our future and still have trade value ie Cloke a few years back (and I wouldn't be opposed to a Sidebottom being shopped around now) but icons of the club are off limits unless they specifically want out and then we get the best we can for them.

Players you have are worth far more than players you might draft.. that might turn into a good player.

I wouldn't be confident of taking a player that is as productive as Scott Pendlebury if I had three top ten picks, it is still such a long play risk.

Axl the great

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not too many things need to change except for the coach and or game plan, Richmond have proved you can improve in leaps and bounds with a re-think of how you play.
Player for player this list should be a top 6 team, no excuses, contrary to popular belief we don't need a hulking forward to solve the issues down there, time and space in our forward 50 will see Elliott, Fasolo, Hoskin Elliott Moore and co run riot add to that increased goal output from our midfield and we are more than capable in that area.
The fact Buckley likes to compress the play and players into small parts of the ground is foolish and THE main issue with out disposal efficiency and our poor return for inside 50s, it is also the reason we are terrible at defending opposition transition from defence.
When was the last time we kicked 2 or 3 easy walk in goals in a game? why do we cop those easy ones against us week after week? Why does Bucks think the team can play manic tackle focused pressure every week at a maximum level? These players are not been provided with the most efficient way of playing the game so why are we surprised they are not efficient in a lot of area's?
Bottom line is we work way way too hard for everything we do, these player should not have to do everything the hard way, It is a grind on the body and the mind of the players and our appearance of lack of effort at times does not surprise me one bit.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Players you have are worth far more than players you might draft.. that might turn into a good player.

I wouldn't be confident of taking a player that is as productive as Scott Pendlebury if I had three top ten picks, it is still such a long play risk.

A 25 yr old Pendlebury is a lot different to a 30 yr old Pendlebury.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Yep the combination of trading Ablett Franklin Ward Griffen has resulted in how many premierships? 4!!!!

That's 4!!!!

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

That's precisely the risk you should take if you want to win a premiership. He's not a kid anymore.. or at the height of his powers.

No premiership window in the foreseeable future.. i would rather have 2 22 and 23 yr olds running around.. than have nothing but Pendlebury sitting in the grandstand reminiscing.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy just holding out for more dough as he will be the AA ruckman this year. Dont blame him.
Sure hope so.
Imagine if we lost him :(
Who could forget the ruck wilderness years between Monkhurst and Jolly?!?
Sure wish Witts and Grundy ciuld have worked out together but too similar, genuine #1 ruckman.
Man losing grundy would hurt.
Keep Pendles.
Sidebottom stifled by gameplan.
Everyone is. No flair.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I were in charge.

1. Change to constitution to set maximum terms for club directors / presidents. Renewal is critical to any organisation.

2. Refresh the recruitment and development functions within the club. Double or triple our investment.

3. Get rid of the netball franchise FFS.

4. Start recruiting a new head coach now - put the feelers out. Go through a rigorous review and find the best candidate.

5. Exit Bucks at year end with dignity and respect and ensure he is treated like the legend he is.

6. Recruit a KPF to help Moore

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good post.
Except the netball- doubt it distracts the football department in any way.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
We are in a hole at the moment. What would you do if you were in charge of the club? This is what my strategy would be. What's yours?

1. Use due diligence to find the best coach that you can get. Whatever the price

2. Get the best available assistant coaches, medicos, recruiters etc. Pay the goddamn tax. A successful Collingwood can well and truly afford it.

3. We are going to have a top 10 possibly a top 5 pick this year. Take that and add to it the following:
Trade Pendles. Top 10 pick plus second rounder
Trade Sidey First rounder
Grundy will probably go. First rounder plus second rounder.
Load up on high end talent with all those picks. KPP's, skilled players. quick players

4. 2018 and 2019 we won't make finals because we will once again be a young team, so use our top 10 picks to bring in more top 10 talent plus the younger Daicos

5. Years 2020 to 2025 we have a core of very good young talent. Along with this we have guys like Treloar, Adams, Moore, Howe, Shaz, WHE, JDG who by now are the experienced backbone leadership group.

6. Between the years 2021 and 2025 we snag 1 hopefully 2 flags.

If I held the reins that is what I would do. I know many will respond to my suggesting trading Pendles with these: :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: But the truth is he is very unlikely to be part of the next push for a flag. So let him go elsewhere to a club who is in the premiership window. Give him the pleasure of playing finals again and let us benefit by using that to build our next tilt.

What would you do

2 first rounders minimum!

Back