Strategy What would you like to see in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see a kid debut who instantly has a big impact and looks like he belongs, then goes on to play the majority of the season as a standout, bringing his name right into Rising Star Award calculations.

I would like to see no more North players talking about "MAKING a grand final". Jeez talk about aiming for second place.

We want to WIN a grand final not just make it into one.

Subtle difference but I want that cleared up in the inner scrotum of our club pronto.

I was to see consistent performers,

Currently going into a game i feel like i know what we will get from

Goldy
Spud
Boomer
NDS

Higgo

Daylight

Cunners
Swallow

Tarrant

Petrie

The rest are very hit and miss...

Our squad is pretty well placed going in to 2016, with just that line breaking speed the missing link. The other big factor which will shape next season is how much the kids step up, with the form and consistency of the senior guys the obvious issue. While we would like to see everyone go up a level, I think with keeping expectations realistic, there are those that we should be happy with if in 2016 they give us pretty much what they offered this year, whilst some can reasonably be expected to step into the elite and others just turn around an annus horribulus.

More of the Same Thanks (can't ask more than they produced this year):
Goldy - bit greedy to expect the same of him, but he is ultra-confident and so much self-belief, so no reason he won't back this season up with another
Boomer - has lost an ounce of speed, but seems to have enjoyed spending more time forward, and looks rejuvenated, now as hungry as ever
Spitta - his limitations re. disposal won't change, but his influence as a hard, tackling, midfield leader was back to pre-achilles standards
Dish - improved goal kicking would just be a bonus, but his work rate, presence, marking remains so important to the side
Wright - steady eddy in defense, with his footy smarts and ball use only matched by his consistency in 2015
Higgins - steal....massive addition to the forward-midfield mix, may even go up a level if can stay healthy in 2016
Waite - second half of the year was huge....another year of that would be massive
Jacobs - rejuvenated footballer, probably the best tagger in the caper now, will start 2016 with full confidence in his role and ability
Taz - can't underestimate how he has gone from injured lost cause to key KPD in one season, more of the same thanks Taz
Spud - great club servant, playing some of his most consistent footy
Gibbo - like Jacobs, has been rejuvenated as a footballer in his run-with role....we know what we get with him
Nahas - been brilliant for the club, not just with his impact on the field, but brings as much commitment as any

Up into the Stratosphere (i.e. Goldy's Multiple Dick Universe):
Cunners - should be AA in 2016, now an elite midfielder but yet to peak
JZ - opinions differ, but I liked his 2015, but still feel his role should change to suit his abilities, gets plenty of attention from commentators suggesting most expect him to rise to the top
JMac - clear back line general, now being matched by his football ability, expecting him in AA contention in 2016 if plays full season
Ats - self belief is there, a mixed role off half back and occasionally through the midfield works for him, a full season like his last 2 months will make him a star

Need to Drink up on the Elixir of the Fountain of Youth to Bounce Back to their Best:
Wells - fit and on the park for at least a dozen games would do for a start, was missed badly
Thommo - if ever we had a player who needed some serious 1-on-1 coaching it is this guy, just get his head together
LT - year from hell, with MRP/umpire vendetta, foot problem, family issues, form and confidence shaken, needs to fight back once again
Black - how much was due to his shoulders, or is it mostly above the shoulders....wait and see
NDS - struggle a bit after injury, but Prelim showed can still expect him to return to his best
Loogie - never seemed fully fit all season and never reached 2014 form, desperately needs strong pre-season
Mullett - see Black

Heartbreak High or the New Avengers:
LMac - second year blues (we hope), expectations lowered, but hope still alive that he will become regular best 22
Brown - pre-season, pre-season, pre-season, lost form when lost fitness, was a shadow of his best at seasons end, needs surgery, strength, conditioning, feel confident he will be the KPF our future team will be built around
Garner - sky is the limit, talent to burn, mongrel to destroy, fully fit, he will be the one to watch in 2016
Turner - adjusting to his added bulk, struggled a bit, but shown enough to be long-term small forward-mid
Dumont - expect big impact in 2016, didn't play a bad game, but too much competition for spot, plus a full pre-season to get his body ready
Daw - has recovered from the ankle horror, now needs things to fall in place in court, add a pre-season, then play him like Geelong's steeplechaser
Wood - all above the shoulders, having seen what he can do in the early rounds, just needs to get the hunger and aggression
BMac - last 2 months at North Ballarat enough for a contract, slow burn may yet produce something special
Fordham - surprise packet in the 2s, must have been close to debut, hope he backs it up and debuts in 2016, just what we need

On the Slow Burn:
Durdin - a year in a strong Werribee side will give us an idea of how far he could go
Nielsen - hard to predict after a knee reco, have to give him time
EVW - 2016 a chance to see if he is the Spud replacement
Preuss - some gradual improvement expected, especially in his fitness

And what I would particularly like to see out of all of this is Wells play the better part of a full season, Dumont a regular in the midfield, JZ and Daw given roles to suit their abilities, Scotty T to be given a brutal shakeup, Cunners and JMac to have AA seasons, and Wood to pull his finger out. Toss in a Bennell or the like and our 2016 premiership window is wide open.

Need to get more flexability across our team - we have to many players that are one position players or just played in one position

Nahas/turner/garner need to be able to go through the middle.
Ziebs to play hodge / boomer role of setting up play from behind the ball
Boomer to predominantly play forward - need his deadeye foot skills in forward line and shots at goal.
Dumont/bmac/mullet to play more.

We need to improve our skills under finals pressure.

Need to get more flexability across our team - we have to many players that are one position players or just played in one position

Nahas/turner/garner need to be able to go through the middle.
Ziebs to play hodge / boomer role of setting up play from behind the ball
Boomer to predominantly play forward - need his deadeye foot skills in forward line and shots at goal.
Dumont/bmac/mullet to play more.

We need to improve our skills under finals pressure.

Im still not sure how we keep playing JZ in the middle, he is a good forward, however i dont see him playing behind the ball, his field kicking is not the best, blazes away far too often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016 is the year where our improvement needs to come from organic growth, this year I felt like we didn't see a lot of natural progression from our younger players.

We know what we are going to get from our top end, so a big year for players like McDonald, Brown, Garner, Dumont, Wood, Turner and Atley. If we can get improvement from some of these players we will go a long way to maintaining a side capable of playing and going deep into September.

I never thought I would say this, but if some of these players can improve like Tarrant did in the second half of the year then we will have a lot of selection headaches, which is healthy for a club looking to improve.

I'd love to see a kid debut who instantly has a big impact and looks like he belongs, then goes on to play the majority of the season as a standout, bringing his name right into Rising Star Award calculations.

Ryan Bastinac? :p

hoping if I keep saying this it'll gain some traction....MAJAK playing on the wing.
Only issue with Maj on a wing is what does he do when he doesn't have the ball. He'd be a defensive liability due to lack of structural and positional awareness and the opposition would play though his man at every opportunity.

Ruck or forward. Thats all i can see for him.

Only issue with Maj on a wing is what does he do when he doesn't have the ball. He'd be a defensive liability due to lack of structural and positional awareness and the opposition would play though his man at every opportunity.

Ruck or forward. Thats all i can see for him.
Fair enough you're probably right,,,,,,I'll rephrase,,,,,Majak to play a NAB cup game on the wing, cut up the opposition to such an extent he plays the whole season there.

Port and Richmond both shorter then North for the 2016 flag?

Am I missing something here?

I was to see consistent performers,

Currently going into a game i feel like i know what we will get from

Goldy
Spud
Boomer
NDS

Higgo

Daylight

Cunners
Swallow

Tarrant

Petrie

The rest are very hit and miss...

Jacobs in category 1. Reckon you're hard on Cunnington and Swallow, more a case that their form (particularly Cunnington's will look better with a better balance in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back