Universal Love What would you say to the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The club had one of its AGM/Member forums last week. Unfortunately I couldn't attend. I was thinking though, if I was to go, what would I say or what questions would I ask MLG & Co.

So, I would say

I am very happy with the direction over the last 3-4 years and can see a future. I would raise 2 clear points

1. Training needs to be more accessible and promoted to members and supporters. I have no issue with closed sessions but IMO not every session needs to be closed. It can help with getting money into the club through merchandise and the cafe and gets members more engaged. This is important

2. Don't change the direction or the path we are on. I fully support it and it has been done well. What was impressive last season is that even though we hit rock bottom the message from the club didn't waiver. IMO that is impressive. Next year we will have the usual whingers in the media looking to put us down. Need to stay on message

I also hope that we end up at the MCG as our permanent home ground and that we play in the Navy Blue jumper more and more.

I would finish by telling MLG & Co they have done a great job so far. No one is perfect but I couldn't be happier. They should be congratulated. Keep going and don't waiver and we will be fine.

What would you say?

Last edited:
Pretty happy with the rebuild so far. Membership needs to keep growing, which it seems to be. MCG as home, no more stupid away strips, maybe need to look at the merchandise, as it seems a bit hit and miss. Steady 3/4 more wins each year (except 2019, we need about 8/9 wins) members need to see us ascending the ladder each year. Don't get sucked into media negativity, in regards to decision making.

That the supporter base sing Midnight Oils 'Dreamworld' before each game a la Port Adelaide.

In seriousness, pretty happy with the direction. We need to bridge the gap in membership to the other big clubs which should happen once we start to win some games.

However, would like to see some money invested into getting more kids into Carlton guerneys. Maybe a concerted school clinic program in the developing northern suburbs north of the ring road with every kid being given a Carlton guernsey, membership or some form of merchandise (whatever is financially practical)

Biggest issue for me is the home ground - need to transition to MCG for the majority of home games.

1) I believe we need to be more proactive when it comes to formulating and then implementing innovative game plans and styles of play. Teams such as the Bulldogs, Richmond & even the Pies have been rejuvenated in recent years and had some great success despite not having the most talented lists and even with plenty injuries. Mentality and belief also have a lot to do with this with Richmond hiring psychologists and the like to refresh the playing group. Potentially need to start or continue looking at trends in overseas sports or even experimenting as what we are doing now definitely does not work.

2) The club needs to really target the younger generation of supporters. I am in my mid-20's and have not seen much success at all. As a kid I remember us being a powerhouse club (in terms of support) represented in huge numbers in Auskick, Primary School and even at games. Going to matches in recent years and looking at my peers and the younger generation it seems we have genuinely lost a generation of supporters and I am worried that after another 20-30 years with an ageing supporter base we may be looked at similar to a St Kilda/Melbourne/WB supporter base. Obviously success is a huge factor but even further than that we really need to run more initiatives getting youthful supporters onboard such as school visits and more interactive events at Princes Park. Going to Princes Park as a kid is a lasting memory for me and we need to somehow pass this onto the next generation which is made harder without playing AFL matches there. Most of all we NEED to get off the bottom of the ladder and stop allowing the media and other supporters to label our club as a laughing stock. In saying that I am happy with the overall direction and this year's draft/trade period seems to be trying to address this concern.

3) Get out of Etihad/Marvel Stadium at all costs! The place is and always has been trash. It ruins the gameday experience for spectators just as much as our poor performances of recent years.

Fan engagement is the missing link.

Get the players interested in their fans and the fans will reciprocate.

Innovation is very important, need to lead, not follow.

3) Get out of Etihad/Marvel Stadium at all costs! The place is and always has been trash. It ruins the gameday experience for spectators just as much as our poor performances of recent years.

This, this and this.

On field I trust the people in place are heading in right direction.
Off field I got no idea what my club is doing to make it feel like our club has a home identity that feels like home.
I can rarely get to VFL games as sadly our reserves team rarely plays on same day as our senior team. When I did get to one game in 2018 at Princes Park, I thought I would go inside my club and get some new merchandise , both to support my club and update some of my own gear. Turns out our own club walls at our traditional old home ground not even open when our VFL team play there. That was incredibly underwhelming experience of feeling like we still have a home. My own club just made a member feel like we got nowhere to go that is home....

Docklands feels hollow and not our home so for mine, I feel like our club is a bit nomadic for this century. The last club that felt like that was Fitzroy.
This home feel and base for our club has to be rectified and soon. We need a vision of how we grow our fan base back to a membership and feel that it should be. We have fallen off as a massive club we were that I grew up with. We need to build again. We are building on field, next is to build off field too. Maybe it needs a massive vision like two or three clubs getting together and building another ground in Melbourne that holds 60,000 to 70,000. Carlton and Collingwood collectively should be thinking, how the * are our two clubs with more fans than Tigers and Hawks got less members. There are reasons why, those need to be looked into and addressed over next decade. I do not expect a solution in one or two years. It needs a big vision and purpose to have a true home again.

This, this and this.

On field I trust the people in place are heading in right direction.
Off field I got no idea what my club is doing to make it feel like our club has a home identity that feels like home.
I can rarely get to VFL games as sadly our reserves team rarely plays on same day as our senior team. When I did get to one game in 2018 at Princes Park, I thought I would go inside my club and get some new merchandise , both to support my club and update some of my own gear. Turns out our own club walls at our traditional old home ground not even open when our VFL team play there. That was incredibly underwhelming experience of feeling like we still have a home. My own club just made a member feel like we got nowhere to go that is home...

Like this. Engagement with the "Reserves" needs to be better.

It's more an AFL matter but I'd like to see around 6 home games have the reserves play prior to Senior game and then another 6 played at Princes Park maybe mostly when we are interstate? Merchandise, BBQ, Coffee Shop etc should all be going. Perfect chance now because I believe this side will be a lot stronger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been to the member forum the last couple of years. It's a good space to see the new players and hear from the club, but I'm not overly convinced the club is very interested in what the members have to say, other than in its relationship to cashflow (and I guess if enough people collectively make enough noise on a particular issue that it won't cost them too much to change). They try to make the right noises though. It's important they make themselves available to answer questions, so I'm glad they do that. Not sure I'd be offering up my POV to them any time soon though.

That said, I have opinions like everyone else. I think we are on the right track and if we stay healthy then we will improve next year. I understand the club's logic for what will get us more games at the G (increased average attendances that will make it a better commercial option for the AFL to put us there), but would really like to see us not going to bloody Tassie or Geelong (I guess the same thing will fix that too). I want us to wear the navy guernsey wherever possible and any future away guernseys should be as close to traditional as we can get away with (the inverted white/navy works for me on that front).

I'm not one of those supporters that want constant video/social media content on every inch of the players' work week - tbh I think the boys are there to win games, not create media content every day if that detracts at all from their primary job.

I agree with the supporters that are calling for more open training sessions, but I don't agree that all/most of them need to be. Even once a month would be good, ideally not during business hours so people who work those hours can go occasionally. Again, I am more concerned in them winning games, and the rest of it is in the 'nice to have' column.

They also need to reduce the price of events during the year - $250/head for a dinner is not worthwhile to me, whereas something around $150 is doable. And mid-week lunches? What - I'm supposed to take a day's annual leave and then pay for one of those things?

I've been to the member forum the last couple of years. It's a good space to see the new players and hear from the club, but I'm not overly convinced the club is very interested in what the members have to say, other than in its relationship to cashflow (and I guess if enough people collectively make enough noise on a particular issue that it won't cost them too much to change). They try to make the right noises though. It's important they make themselves available to answer questions, so I'm glad they do that. Not sure I'd be offering up my POV to them any time soon though.

That said, I have opinions like everyone else. I think we are on the right track and if we stay healthy then we will improve next year. I understand the club's logic for what will get us more games at the G (increased average attendances that will make it a better commercial option for the AFL to put us there), but would really like to see us not going to bloody Tassie or Geelong (I guess the same thing will fix that too). I want us to wear the navy guernsey wherever possible and any future away guernseys should be as close to traditional as we can get away with (the inverted white/navy works for me on that front).

I'm not one of those supporters that want constant video/social media content on every inch of the players' work week - tbh I think the boys are there to win games, not create media content every day if that detracts at all from their primary job.

I agree with the supporters that are calling for more open training sessions, but I don't agree that all/most of them need to be. Even once a month would be good, ideally not during business hours so people who work those hours can go occasionally. Again, I am more concerned in them winning games, and the rest of it is in the 'nice to have' column.

They also need to reduce the price of events during the year - $250/head for a dinner is not worthwhile to me, whereas something around $150 is doable. And mid-week lunches? What - I'm supposed to take a day's annual leave and then pay for one of those things?

Fair weather sailor you are ……… :p

The subject of home games at Marvel Stadium seems to arise in any thread relating to off field management of our club. What I would say is that our club has not been in a position of power when it comes to AFL fixturing or where we play our home games.

As previously noted, we have signed a further agreement to play more home games at Marvel Stadium. This is good financial sense as the AFL's ownership of Marvel Stadium allows for better returns on home games at Marvel Stadium than the MCC Trust would offer to us for games at the MCG. We will be in a better position to negotiate with the MCC when we can show to them membership numbers which are getting up towards those of Richmond, Hawthorn & Collingwood & winning form which would mean that even games against non-Victorian clubs will draw healthy attendances (more than the 20-25k which we currently see).

On the basis of the above, I would say to the club keep focusing on putting together a strong playing list & the support this list needs, so that we will not only become competitive, but experience a sustained period of success. If this happens, the debate regarding the MCG v Marvel Stadium will become obsolete as increased membership numbers & attendances will follow as a matter course, giving us the bargaining power we need.

Good thread Soap.

1. I’m immensely proud of the drafting and rebuild process over the past 4 trade/draft periods. At times I’ve become frustrated but SOS has been proven largely correct. Certainly 100 percent correct on Strategy (trade for draft picks, young players from other clubs). A couple of questionable moments in Execution of Strategy and I would strongly advise they conduct reviews of previous years’ work if they haven’t already. Make sure you’re learning. Not ‘proving I was right.’ It’s a mindset that needs to be watched out for. A+ Strategy and A- Execution of Strategy.

2. Accessibility of players and training needs to leap ahead. LEAP. Open way more training sessions. I’ve posted this elsewhere. Fans want HOPE. That’s what the clubs trade in. HOPE. Fans want to feel like they are connected. Like they know the players. The coaches. The Journey was terrific in that way but they can do so much more of it. Eg: would love to check out on Insta that Crippa has just finished a 4 week block of training on lateral movement. Or has improved his VO2 max through a sustained period of cardio. Or that Matt Kennedy has lost 3 kg and dropped 30 seconds off his 2km time trial. You’re giving away NOTHING of interest to another club. You’re giving EVERYTHING to the fans who just crave knowing. Crave belonging. Crave HOPE. Conduct some live Q+A each week. One of the assistant coaches. One of the players. With very little effort and cost it could change dramatically. Would love to here who has Andrew Russell made progress with? Who is he still stuck with? How long does he think it will take to get Stocker AFL fit?

3. Agree on other remarks about the VFl team. WHy not create a 30 - 60 minute video of each game and make available? The highlights are rubbish. Next year we will have many more players worth watching at that level and a lot of us can’t get there.

4. Clearly the current President is never going to make a strong public presence. Absent that we need someone speaking for us other than Bolton regularly. Increase the public role In an official capacity of Judd. He’s clearly going to be our President one day. May as well start warming us up for it. He’s a galvanising force for the fans and he has enormous credibility.

1. We support the ‘No quick fixes’ direction the club took. Stick to it.

2. The club can and should do more around fan engagement. Agree with what others have posted about Open sessions.

3. The club needs to actively advocate to replace our Marvel Stadium home games with ... Ikon Park games (the Gap). 3-4 home games against interstate teams is the vision.

I think we are starting to get the right people in the right jobs so most of the decisions the club are making I can respect whether I totally agree or not.

The only thing I would bring up, like many others is fan engagement. We are miles behind in this area.

Like this. Engagement with the "Reserves" needs to be better.

It's more an AFL matter but I'd like to see around 6 home games have the reserves play prior to Senior game and then another 6 played at Princes Park maybe mostly when we are interstate? Merchandise, BBQ, Coffee Shop etc should all be going. Perfect chance now because I believe this side will be a lot stronger

Agree - let's try and be a trailblazer and get the reserves back as a curtain raiser. One advantage of our fixture, at least for this year, is all the games on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon which is prefect to schedule the Northern Blues in prior to the main game.

Love it, Soap....our fan engagement has been ordinary over the years at best....maybe one of the reasons why we've been seen to be arrogant by supporters and the media.

Apart from getting rid of Docklands as our home ground, the two things I would l like to say to the club (like many of us posters):

1. Engage with the fans, especially the kids.....through our lack of success over recent years, it is hard to keep the next gen interested. Open training especially pre season where parents can take the kids....and the players spend 30 minutes or so after training to talk to the fans, where the kids could meet them. I guy I used to work with many moons ago was a * supporter, took his young kid along to training one arvo at Windy Hill. He bought a hot dog and can of coke at the local shops for the little fella, then headed to the ground. Kevin Sheedy saw them sitting on the seat near the boundary, and came over to meet/greet them, and chat with his boy. Sheeds asked him if he could have a bite of his hot dog.....and after that, the young fella just bled red and black. Never forgot that day when Sheeds took a bite of his hot dog.

2. The club actually provide the name of a contact person that us, as fans/members, can communicate with via email. Not good enough just to provide some generic email address, where (by past history), your unlikely to get any response.

Continue to embrace young talent through the draft, occasional FA/trade

Rest will follow
This absolutely.

Top end free agents and trades have pretty much ruled us out, highlighted by Shiel this year. We have acquired some excellent semi
mature young players, usually with issues, making the exercise a risky one, but enough have added significantly to the list. Being forced
to rebuild through the draft almost exclusively will return dividends in spades.

The impending departures over the next couple of years will test the balance as Simmo, Murph and Daisy will test the balance as the kids
are maturing. Unless we can attract a Coniglio type at the end of next season, I am however, in favour of all but overlooking trade/FA unless
a gift horse presents itself. With our young talent placing likely retention pressures on us before we know it, we can ill afford to pay a premium
to attract a "star". While I see the logic, age bracket first recruiting holds little attraction to me. Yes we will be farewelling the above three
along with Levi and possibly Jones as well as a mature ruck or two needing an upgrade soon, but Doc, Crippa and a handful of mid twenties
players should suffice given our star quality in what will be 20-23 age group.

The club has trumpeted the need for 22-25 year olds (or thereabouts) for list balance, and I suspect this has contributed greatly to us
taking Fasolo and Bugg over some younger talent like 20 year old state leaguers. I will admit to prescribing to the theory if you are good
enough, you are old enough. In three years time we are going to be embarrassed by the talent we have languishing in the "twos". I am
all for the genuine state league or second chancers with displayed "substance" filling the bottom end of the list. Depth midfielders with
potential to shine as forwards or backs (read Fisher and Blakey) would be gilt edged investments at this stage of our build. GWS learned
their lesson and in recent times have been investing in some "rough diamond" types to complete their list due to salary cap pressure. They
have found some blue collar workers who have added considerably to their mix.

So I guess I am saying more of the same please, with the emphasis on the player, not the age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back