What would your reaction be if the Crows announced they are rebuilding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy crap this thread is embarrasing. I dont care how crap we've been the last 6 weeks. Second on the table and fans are calling for a rebuild, no wonder why other fans give us s**t. Considering last years premiers finished 7th, maybe we should wait til seasons end for the hissy fits.

If our form turns around and we start to replicate the form of the first 6 rounds this thread will be extremely embarrassing. We are currently second on the ladder and the op is saying we should rebuild? Some of you in here are the biggest overreacting sooks. I want to see us work on flexibility , selection policy etc and to target some ready made midfielders but we don't need a rebuild ffs! We've assembled much of the ingredients needed. If we rebuild its goodbye Cameron, McGovern, lever etc.....
Mate, your talking sense, somthing thats been lacking here the last 6 weeks

Holy crap this thread is embarrasing. I dont care how crap we've been the last 6 weeks. Second on the table and fans are calling for a rebuild, no wonder why other fans give us s**t. Considering last years premiers finished 7th, maybe we should wait til seasons end for the hissy fits.

Say we bomb out in usual fashion in a semi this year, lose Gov and Cameron, fail to land a big fish and address other deficiencies come seasons end. With Douglas Jacobs and Dmac cooked, Could you see a rebuild as a possible alternative to 2 more years of the same before our aging stars are put out to pasture?

I dont think we are there yet but not too far off.

I'm not saying we should rebuild by any stretch, we are second on the ladder and have played some outstanding footy this year, but there are some rebuild type measures we could take to keep gaining ground. Be bolder.

- Sort out who is the real deal and who isn't. Promote the former at all costs, weed out the latter and move them on.
- Get serious about our coaches. Surely time is up for Campo and Clarke. While we're at it - Part time assistant coaches? Seriously?
- In a similar vein to the first point, get more aggressive with picking new players. Guys like Beech, Galluchi, Milera and most of all Greenwood have all shown good signs. Play them sooner and persist with them more.

In other words - Take more risk, be less middle of the road. There's been more than enough of winning one final per year.

Last edited:
Looks very similar to what the Crows have been doing ;)

Mate...I know you are kidding.

Unless you enjoy the prospect of 1-21/3-19/6-16 the next decade plus. ;)

Are we stuck in a time vortex or what?

David Burtenshaw: What today is about is coming up with a club message. We need something that speaks to our fans, that reassures them that things will improve, that soothes their fears, that ensures they are optimistic about the future…

Steven Trigg: Basically buys us some time?

David Burtenshaw: Yeah… buys us some time and sells a message. We’re not expecting an instant turnaround but we just want to turn the heat down a notch or two.

Neil Craig: So are we going to announce a rebuilding plan or something?

David Burtenshaw: Err… no. We can’t use the rebuilding word.

Neil Craig: Why not? We’ve got 12 players under 50 games, we’ve lost 1200 games of experience -

David Burtenshaw: Neil-

Neil Craig: Actually it’s more games than that. Those guys would have played SANFL games, junior games, school games… basically every weekend since they were 8 or 9 years old. We’re probably talking five thousand games of experience there. Ten thousand even. You can’t replace that overnight.

David Burtenshaw: Neil, a rebuilding plan has to be pre-emptive. We would have had to announce the rebuild before the season if it was going to have any currency.

Neil Craig: But we didn’t know before the season that we needed to rebuild.

David Burtenshaw: Exactly. People will pick up on that and say we misjudged the list, that we over-rated our players, that we didn’t prepare for the retirement of our legends well enough… the bottom line is that we can’t lose a few matches, give the season away and then try to whack a rebuilding tag onto it. It just won’t fly.

Steven Trigg: David’s right, Neil. If we say we are rebuilding now, people are going to ask why it’s taken us until Round 11 to start.

David Burtenshaw: Basically we’d be admitting that Plan A had gone up in smoke and we were changing tack.

Neil Craig: I thought people wanted to see a Plan B?

David Burtenshaw: Neil – policy on the run is policy underdone.

Phil Harper: But we do need to rebuild, don’t we?

Steven Trigg: Yes.

David Burtenshaw: That’s fine… we just can’t say we are rebuilding. There are a few words and phrases you just don’t go near in football. ‘Rebuilding’ is one… ‘potential’ is another… there are just too many negative connotations attached to them.

Phil Harper: Five year plan?

David Burtenshaw: Yep, that’s another one. It’s like saying we need five years to fix the mess we’ve made.

Neil Craig: Full support of the Board?

David Burtenshaw: Nah, that’s ok. People actually like hearing that one.

Steven Trigg: Mathematically possible?

David Burtenshaw: (nodding) Good one. That’s traditionally the season death-knell.

Phil Harper: Bulldozed by a powerful team?

Neil Craig: Shut up, Phil.

Steven Trigg: So what’s this club message that we’re selling then? Rebuilding is out. So what are we going to call it?

Phil Harper: Rejuvenating?

David Burtenshaw: Refreshing?

Neil Craig: Regenerating?

Steven Trigg: Does it have to start with an “R”?

David Burtenshaw: No, but they usually do for some reason.

Phil Harper: Resuscitating?

David Burtenshaw: Revolution?

Steven Trigg: Aren’t people going to see through this? They’re going to know that we are just trying to come up with a different word for rebuilding.

David Burtenshaw: How about calling it an investment year?

Neil Craig: It’s not an R word though.

David Burtenshaw: Well, investment is all about generating a return… so there it is.

Steven Trigg: And the injuries mean that we have been able to invest even more than we thought.

David Burtenshaw: So the return will be greater.

Steven Trigg: An investment year… I love it. A return on our investment… a return to finals… this is brilliant. What do you think, Neil?

Neil Craig: A return to finals? When?

Steven Trigg: Soon.

Neil Craig: 2012? That’s going to be pushing it.

David Burtenshaw: I don’t think we need to put a timeline on it.

Steven Trigg: That’s right. We’ll say that the payoff will be soon but don’t specify 2012, just in case.

Neil Craig: So 2013? What if we don’t make finals that year either?

David Burtenshaw: Hopefully by then everyone will have forgotten about it.

Steven Trigg: That’s right. Remember when we said we won’t keep any B Graders after they turn 30? People have forgotten that one. They’ll forget this too. There will be a new crisis by then anyway. Walker might be spotted eating a hamburger or something. Investment year… lock it in, David.

We have seen where we are when Betts walker sloane Talia fail if you add Jacobs to that this is where we will be in 2 to 3 years

The rebuild is coming but not this year

When we do rebuild can we do it from 18th not 9th

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We'd improve without Jacobs.

We should drop him and go the Melbourne route of just rucking their ruckman.

O'brien is more of the same, not worth bringing in. Delist them both and get Grundy or don't bother with a ruck.

Say we bomb out in usual fashion in a semi this year, lose Gov and Cameron, fail to land a big fish and address other deficiencies come seasons end. With Douglas Jacobs and Dmac cooked, Could you see a rebuild as a possible alternative to 2 more years of the same before our aging stars are put out to pasture?

I dont think we are there yet but not too far off.
I see what your saying. I really cant see a scenario where we loose all of lever mcgovern and cameron without getting somthing big in return. I think we will have learned from last years trade period regarding chasing a top player.
This is our window now. This off season is the most important i can remember, and theres no reason why we cant win it this year. All of a sunnden people are wanking themselves over melbourne and port. Theres no reson we cant beat those teams. In a one off match in finals theres no reason why this side cant beat anyone.
Thats why i get defensive when people say stuff like rebuild. Or theyre done with this club. Or pyke aint good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back