What you like/dislike about your local cinema & what you would like to see implemented

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t get there much now with a few small kids etc but it’s worth gold class or places like the Sun or Nova just to avoid the mainstream crowds. The number of people who openly talk, check their phones etc in a big session these days is astonishing. Would rather watch a movie at home.

my local cinema is not particularly adventurous with what it plays. i can understand that, have to make returns. but it's annoying to get excited, plan a visit, only to find they've pulled the film you've been waiting for that they've been advertising on their website, billboards, whatever. numerous times.
what to implement? just a short showing where they show the advertised film at least only once if they absolutely have to ditch what they've already advertised.

agree with avoiding the rowdy crowds shouting and talking over. i do appreciate that this is the experience some people want, i probably would too for certain films. probably midnight screenings of something i'd already seen hundreds of times.

the seats at my cinema (talking general entry here) are not compatible with the bloating length of modern films. comfier seats where i don't feel like my ass has been on fire 2 hours in.

my local cinema is not particularly adventurous with what it plays. i can understand that, have to make returns. but it's annoying to get excited, plan a visit, only to find they've pulled the film you've been waiting for that they've been advertising on their website, billboards, whatever. numerous times.
what to implement? just a short showing where they show the advertised film at least only once if they absolutely have to ditch what they've already advertised.

agree with avoiding the rowdy crowds shouting and talking over. i do appreciate that this is the experience some people want, i probably would too for certain films. probably midnight screenings of something i'd already seen hundreds of times.

the seats at my cinema (talking general entry here) are not compatible with the bloating length of modern films. comfier seats where i don't feel like my ass has been on fire 2 hours in.
Do you not check online before going in? Films change every Thursday. They reassess every week whether they add/drop sessions for films depending on how well they do.

Do you not check online before going in? Films change every Thursday. They reassess every week whether they add/drop sessions for films depending on how well they do.

i do, if it interests me. my beef is less about particular sessions and more that they have completely canned films they have advertised... not shown it at all. billboards, website, pamphlets to nothing.

i do, if it interests me. my beef is less about particular sessions and more that they have completely canned films they have advertised... not shown it at all. billboards, website, pamphlets to nothing.
Yeah fair enough. Sometimes they give them plenty of sessions but if they don’t get enough, the amount of sessions can be cut down quite a bit especially if a blockbuster comes out.

Most of my favourite theatres have closed in the ~10 years since this thread was started

Last year I went to a film festival that used to be a week-long affair at a local independent threatre, and is now crammed into a weekend at the local Hoyts. We had tickets for Breathless - the idiots screened it in the wrong aspect ratio and cut off all the subtitles. Walked out and haven't been back.

Don’t get there much now with a few small kids etc but it’s worth gold class or places like the Sun or Nova just to avoid the mainstream crowds. The number of people who openly talk, check their phones etc in a big session these days is astonishing. Would rather watch a movie at home.
Completely agree with the sentiment but would point out two of the worst ever cinema going experiences I had were at the sun.

Completely agree with the sentiment but would point out two of the worst ever cinema going experiences I had were at the sun.
That surprises me but often I’ve seen films there in the smaller theatres and after they’ve been out a while. Crowds have been pretty good.

Saw Avatar 2 there and we got evacuated 20 minutes in because the popcorn machine caught fire.

That surprises me but often I’ve seen films there in the smaller theatres and after they’ve been out a while. Crowds have been pretty good.

Saw Avatar 2 there and we got evacuated 20 minutes in because the popcorn machine caught fire.
I think the issue is occasionally they get locals who have been at the local pubs or whatever and think grabbing a beer at the cinema is a wonderful idea when theyre a few deep.

Asked a bloke if he could keep it down (quite politely i would add) only for him to tell me to * off and then threaten to fight me, he was hammered and still drinking.

I think the issue is occasionally they get locals who have been at the local pubs or whatever and think grabbing a beer at the cinema is a wonderful idea when theyre a few deep.

Asked a bloke if he could keep it down (quite politely i would add) only for him to tell me to * off and then threaten to fight me, he was hammered and still drinking.
Yikes. Fair enough, that’s pretty bad.

Not a dislike but went to an afternoon screening to Events Cinema to watch Spider-man. So was a bit nervous since it's first time in a long time going to such a session and there was a lot of gen-z in the crowd. They were very rowdy prior to the film, but surprisingly everyone was well behaved and quiet during the screening!

Was totally expecting a group of boys to start pulling their phones out and get all hyped or something lol

It sounds like you were just unlucky. The Sun is my favourite cinema. I've never seen anything other than respectful behaviour there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a dislike but went to an afternoon screening to Events Cinema to watch Spider-man. So was a bit nervous since it's first time in a long time going to such a session and there was a lot of gen-z in the crowd. They were very rowdy prior to the film, but surprisingly everyone was well behaved and quiet during the screening!

Was totally expecting a group of boys to start pulling their phones out and get all hyped or something lol
That's good.

I always pretend I still work at the cinemas and tell them off. They've got no proof I don't work there 🤣

That's good.

I always pretend I still work at the cinemas and tell them off. They've got no proof I don't work there 🤣
Damn I miss that kinda stuff. And wandering around on floor with a radio.

I miss having a radio. I want another job where I need a radio.

ef06d89a1043ee37390004099513231b

Might have been a better pic if those two dickheads didnt take up half the photo, but you get the gist..

ef06d89a1043ee37390004099513231b

Might have been a better pic if those two dickheads didnt take up half the photo, but you get the gist..
Only two real thoughts.

• This would be cool, provided films are being shot to suit it (which they arent)
  • I remember when 3D was going to change cinema too (which it didnt)

I like it, innovation is cool but if you just go see a film shot normally youre either going to wind up with stuff intended to be seen in front on the side or it will be a stretch format and look like s**t.

Only two real thoughts.

• This would be cool, provided films are being shot to suit it (which they arent)
  • I remember when 3D was going to change cinema too (which it didnt)

I like it, innovation is cool but if you just go see a film shot normally youre either going to wind up with stuff intended to be seen in front on the side or it will be a stretch format and look like s**t.
I reckon the effect would have been mad for the movie The walk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back