Whateley leaves ABC for SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember last year during a women's sport special on Offsiders and he asked the panel to name the key turning point for women's sport in Australia, he said it was when Michelle Payne rode the Melbourne Cup winner!

Talk about living in a bubble!
Female jockeys have been riding in the Melbourne Cup for 30 years. It is the only sport where men and women compete on the same ground at the same time.

Why is he mentioning the triumph of Payne on POP a "bubble moment"?

It's without doubt the greatest of stations, part of the greatest medium in the greatest city talking about the greatest game there is.
You mean wall to wall ads,how in the hell they get away with that? coming from the ABC with no ads this got to frustrate him no end!!

Female jockeys have been riding in the Melbourne Cup for 30 years. It is the only sport where men and women compete on the same ground at the same time.

Why is he mentioning the triumph of Payne on POP a "bubble moment"?

Because they were talking about the recent (last 18 months) viewership and sponsorship boom in/towards women's sport.

He was suggesting the Michelle Payne ride was the moment that started the domino effect. It wasn't.

Some may argue the Matildas, but the moment IMHO was the creation of WBBL. That league, giving women decent pay, plus live TV coverage that was so popular it sure the coverage go from Ten's secondary channel (One) to their main channel (Ten) forced action from all other sporting codes.

It made the AFL bring it's national women's comp forward from 2020 to 2017; it meant a pay-rise for W-League players; and now the creation of women's competitions for both Rugby codes.

I think the WBBL being the instigator for greater appreciation for women's sport is misguided. Standalone AFLW games (in only its first year!) attracted far better crowds than WBBL : &, IIRC, ratings were better.
For a H & A comp., the AFLW probably had the best average crowds in the world at c.6800 per game. Perhaps only Super Netball would challenge these nos.

Without gambling horse racing would be about as popular as non alcoholic beer. It's not a ****in proper sport.
Is horse racing really that popular now anyway? I thinking gambling ads are grossly disproportionate to the amount of people who actually gamble even casually much less regularly.....and these days outside of about 5 major race days a year virtually are aimed at anything else that moves.

I think there are a couple of elements to the prominence of women's sports in mainstream conversation - because really, they have been in individual and team sports for decades, so participation is nothing new, nor is having good teams/individuals. I would say our sporting heroes at a national level and Olympic greats are close to evenly split gender wise, and in team sports, hockey, basketball and netball spring to mind as being recognized forever as strong female sports,

Michelle Payne did not lead the recent revolution. Great she won, but she was not the first ever female jockey, and most everyone forgot about by the time the first Christmas party of the year rolled around about a week later. WBBL I think, being in season 3 now probably led the way, and timed in perfectly to ride the wave of popularity of BBL and start to arrange double headers and secure commercial support. Knowing that women's basketball and netball have been strong forever and remain so, you would have to then say the other game changer was the Women's Rugby 7 Olympic Gold medal. Rugby threw a ton of money at it to secure the best talent from multiple other sports with the lure of $$$ and a gold medal. Worked a treat.....got a national platform, was close to our first gold medal at those games so had a ton of media exposure and spotlight with a great back story. Forced the hand of AFLW and set a new benchmark for professionalism and pay in the sport.

Without gambling horse racing would be about as popular as non alcoholic beer. It's not a ****in proper sport.
What a stupid comment. Ofcourse the popularity of horse racing is predicated on gambling. No one has ever denied it. Jockeys are the most courageous athletes in professional sport. They get on a 500kg animal, racing full pace with 15-20 other horses, and zero protection. If and when a horse falls it is all over. Just last week two jockeys suffered serious injuries, with one still in a coma. If you don't like racing good for you, but you have to respect the courage and discipline of jockeys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In real sports the players aren't murdered on the field when they get injured or unprofitable. They also don't get fed a bunch of crap before the game because the owner has bet on someone else. It's a deadly, ******* joke. Take away gambling and the house of cards would fall over.

What a stupid comment. Ofcourse the popularity of horse racing is predicated on gambling. No one has ever denied it. Jockeys are the most courageous athletes in professional sport. They get on a 500kg animal, racing full pace with 15-20 other horses, and zero protection. If and when a horse falls it is all over. Just last week two jockeys suffered serious injuries, with one still in a coma. If you don't like racing good for you, but you have to respect the courage and discipline of jockeys.
Jockeys are very courageous sure and nothing against those that enjoy a punt and the races. When the events only exist purely because of gambling it still isn't a sport. Doesn't belong anywhere near a show like Offsiders. Twateley soaking up time on the show dribbling about it was a joke, people tune in to hear about real sports and athletes.

Is horse racing really that popular now anyway? I thinking gambling ads are grossly disproportionate to the amount of people who actually gamble even casually much less regularly.....and these days outside of about 5 major race days a year virtually are aimed at anything else that moves.

I wish you would do research before you make a total dick of yourself.

The industry employs 20,000 people. If you don't believe it is popular then hop onto the TAB site and have a look at how many meetings are held, and how much is wagered on each race, and that is only one betting agency. Then you can add the dishlickers and the trots.But hey don't research it, just speak of the top of your head. There are 4 racing channels on pay TV and Channel 7 has a dedicated racing channel. They would not be doing this if there was no demand. The Spring Racing Carnival is one of the highest rating events on the sporting calendar. Where else in the world do we get a public holiday for a horse race?

Female jockeys in Australia and New Zealand are making their mark in racing, and there so many good jockeys. Jamie Kah for example, is an incredible jockey, with a very impressive record. The beauty of racing is that men and women can compete evenly, with no barriers or restrictions. Maybe that is what turns you off the sport?

Based on your criteria, Rugby League is dead and buried purely by the numbers that attend the games. I will not even bother mentioning attendances at Union matches which are a joke. Rugby as a sport will be dead and buried in 20 years. Bunch of fat blokes with no necks waddling around pretending they are athletes.

Last edited:
Jockeys are very courageous sure and nothing against those that enjoy a punt and the races. When the events only exist purely because of gambling it still isn't a sport. Doesn't belong anywhere near a show like Offsiders. Twateley soaking up time on the show dribbling about it was a joke, people tune in to hear about real sports and athletes.

Can't wait for the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games. Now how many of the athletes competing will be clean? I suppose we will find out in 10 or 20 years.

Can't wait for the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games. Now how many of the athletes competing will be clean? I suppose we will find out in 10 or 20 years.
:drunk:

What has this got to do with horse racing not being a sport?

I don't mind Gerard calling games of footy on the radio but on Fox, particularly 360, he comes across as a bit of a sniveller.

Throw in that grade A ******* Groggo and 360 is a show that is a no go zone for my eyeballs - unless I'm somewhere where the remote is not in my possession.

People who hate horse racing are generally more annoying than those who love it. They will never fail to tell you how much they hate it and complain about gambling, whether it's a real sport, etc. even if no one has actually brought it up. People who enjoy a punt generally seem happy to keep it to themselves unless directly asked about it.

It's a bit like vegans; you never have to ask if someone is a vegan because they'll always tell you before you could ever care to know.

People who hate horse racing are generally more annoying than those who love it. They will never fail to tell you how much they hate it and complain about gambling, whether it's a real sport, etc. even if no one has actually brought it up. People who enjoy a punt generally seem happy to keep it to themselves unless directly asked about it.

It's a bit like vegans; you never have to ask if someone is a vegan because they'll always tell you before you could ever care to know.

What a load of bollocks. If you are embarrassed because you follow a s**t sport, just come to terms with it. Don’t make up a false narrative that is not even remotely close to the truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back