Whateley leaves ABC for SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a weird non-criticism.

Are you saying he isn't insightful or thoughtful? Or merely pointing out that different words have different meanings?

I'm not sure what that means.

His language is expansive? Really? Because he can connect the dots a little more skillfully than the likes of Robbo? I find him to be reasonably controlled and reasonably measured - it's a welcome contrast.

Whatever you think of his style, he has some journalistic bona fides and is a pretty accomplished broadcaster.

I'd still regard him as one of the more articulate broadcasters covering AFL. That may be a low bar.

Suffice to say, I think your criticism of Whateley is over-the-top. Who do you prefer?
I don't think he is thoughtful, or insightful.

Sure, absolutely he can be verbose and expansive in his language. It's like a pendulum, from boring and hedging against holding a solid opinion, to trying to offer the kind of indulgent wordy opinions, more befitting a podium speech at an awards ceremony, than a short on time nightly panel show. I actually think it's amazing someone can have an opinion so reductive or banal, yet feign such romantic language and perspective.

What exact journalistic bonafides does he have? What big stories has he broken, what muck has he wracked?

I agree that he is some version of articulate, at least within the context of AFL broadcasting. As a caller I prefer Huddo (and Jason Bennett), in terms of quality/insight of opinion, there are umpteen more valuable opinions. Ravlich, Reiwoldt and Dunstall are all bland, but at least offer the occasional genuine insight. As far as football journalist/writers go, there are none that I like. It's unsurprising that the largest story in the AFL during the past 5 years, was broken and most thoroughly covered by two actual investigative journalists. The AFL's full spectrum dominance of the ins and outs of press coverage doesn't help, but really it's a shallow talent pool. When I look at the scope, imagination and ambition of sports coverage in the US and think of drawing a parallel, I despair. BTW, I'm not even referring to just the obvious big hitters. There have been dozens of amazing writers and independent publications that have sprung from nowhere, likewise, the sports podcasting craze partly driven by simple fans with recording equipment puts high production professional offerings in Australia to shame.

I think the rank and file arent used to GW, as a result are a bit afraid of what and how its presented. Kind of like when immigrants arrive, there's uncertainty and sometimes fear attached. People are creatures of habit.

Agree with sweet jesus, GW is the complete package, flexible and malleable to any need
Errrrrr my criticism is that he is substandard, all fluff, no substance and the fluff isn't that impressive. Genuine media talents, at least outside of Australia, don't write or speak with his level of pointless self indulgence. Being exact, accurate and concise has extreme value, especially when every second is at a premium.

Anyway, the current trend is moving towards a more conversational tone. Those with genuine skill don't need to move from segment to segment, dot point to dot point, like you are constantly monitoring the rundown sheet. There is a free flowing, yet substantive nature to the best panel shows, 360 does not have that. No Australian AFL panel show does.

Errrrrr my criticism is that he is substandard, all fluff, no substance and the fluff isn't that impressive. Genuine media talents, at least outside of Australia, don't write or speak with his level of pointless self indulgence. Being exact, accurate and concise has extreme value, especially when every second is at a premium.

Anyway, the current trend is moving towards a more conversational tone. Those with genuine skill don't need to move from segment to segment, dot point to dot point, like you are constantly monitoring the rundown sheet. There is a free flowing, yet substantive nature to the best panel shows, 360 does not have that. No Australian AFL panel show does.

I wasnt aware I was addressing you or engaging the topic with yourself. I liken GWs method of speech to that of Gideon Haigh. Both are excellent to listen to

I don't think guests are sufficient. I think he needs an offsider to offer contrast.

I am confident in his ability to carry the show, which is called WHATELEY

MV5BNmI2MzRlMGItM2E2ZC00NDE4LWFlM2MtNmE1MzY1ZjhmYjM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY5ODM3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

And yet I quoted you anyway.

That is an insult to Gideon Haigh, you should apologise.

AFL media is shithouse. Bunch of backslappers.

Eg. Dal Santo questioning why announcements be made about leadership groups. Why? Does it matter? Do the clubs collude and decide who announces on which day so as to share attention equally.

What exact journalistic bonafides does he have? What big stories has he broken, what muck has he wracked?
He worked as a journalist, covering various rounds, not limited to sport. That information is readily available.

Whether you think a journalist's sensibilities, background and training are valuable or not is a separate question, but he has those. That's not disputable.

I agree that he is some version of articulate, at least within the context of AFL broadcasting. As a caller I prefer Huddo (and Jason Bennett), in terms of quality/insight of opinion, there are umpteen more valuable opinions. Ravlich, Reiwoldt and Dunstall are all bland, but at least offer the occasional genuine insight. As far as football journalist/writers go, there are none that I like.
OK, then.

Me: What kind of ice cream do you like?

You: I don't like ice cream.

It's unsurprising that the largest story in the AFL during the past 5 years, was broken and most thoroughly covered by two actual investigative journalists.
Agreed. I assume you're talking about the supplements scandal. Given the complexity, detail and legal ramifications of that story, it is entirely unsurprising. I'm not sure what point this makes.

There have been dozens of amazing writers and independent publications that have sprung from nowhere, likewise, the sports podcasting craze partly driven by simple fans with recording equipment puts high production professional offerings in Australia to shame.
Who do you consider to be an "amazing writer"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the last thing in the world I want to listen to

Curious, why make the effort to visit a discussion thread about him if he is the last thing in the WORLD you'd wish to listen to.

Just like hating right? Nothing else going on?

Anyway didn't come here to respond to old mate but reconfirm the trust Whateley will and has with his reoccurring guests, Pearce sounded like she was about to burst into tears multiple times. Gripping.

Imagine Bucks if he is under pressure this year.

NFL or whateley

Sorry I thought it was obvious by my profile that I’m a Patriots man and to relive that call again would be just about the last thing on my list at the moment.

DJ Spike also.

Nothing against Whately at all- listening to him on Off The Bench Saturday morning told me enough that he loves the sport and that he would have done a more than adequate job.

With regards to his radio show - I don’t think they have the breakfast show right so I think he is going to suffer for it.
Neil Mitchell dominates because Ross & John are the most succuesful breakfast show in the country - Garry and Tim are two good blokes with a flawed radio show and Whateley is going to feel the effects of it

Sorry I thought it was obvious by my profile that I’m a Patriots man and to relive that call again would be just about the last thing on my list at the moment.

DJ Spike also.

Nothing against Whately at all- listening to him on Off The Bench Saturday morning told me enough that he loves the sport and that he would have done a more than adequate job.

With regards to his radio show - I don’t think they have the breakfast show right so I think he is going to suffer for it.
Neil Mitchell dominates because Ross & John are the most succuesful breakfast show in the country - Garry and Tim are two good blokes with a flawed radio show and Whateley is going to feel the effects of it

I thought you were referring to whateley and did not want to hear his dulcet tones. But I now understand.
I admit i was not aware of the patriots until pretty much when brady started winning.

Godo points and views about breakfast lead in. We now the importance on lead in programs, for example ch 7 cutting their telecast so the news can start etc.

Curious, why make the effort to visit a discussion thread about him if he is the last thing in the WORLD you'd wish to listen to.

Just like hating right? Nothing else going on?

Anyway didn't come here to respond to old mate but reconfirm the trust Whateley will and has with his reoccurring guests, Pearce sounded like she was about to burst into tears multiple times. Gripping.

Imagine Bucks if he is under pressure this year.
Why was she about to cry?
I thought it was nerves.

Will be interesting to see what more live coverage overseas they get into.
Hutchy would impress me if he had someone cover the cricket in South Africa live considering it will be in our night time and ideal for that slot on radio.

why not try and get the South African radio feed broadcast through SEN? Not everybody has access to fox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back