Whateley leaves ABC for SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

I am interested to see who will replace Whatley as host of The Offsiders - I am stumped if i can think of a suitable name - Maxwell has always been a poor commentator - He has spent his whole career as a latter day Graham 'Smoky' Dawson.

Oh dear - a little naivety here.

Lyon WAS interested in the offer from St Kilda in the ordinary course - until Freo made its god father offer to an uncontracted coach in a lightning raid. All dealt with in days.

This is what Whately heavily criticised and has now done something very analogous in jumping ship from Uncle.

Again, I don’t criticise Whately for taking the action he has, just his judgement 6 years ago when criticising Lyons move. It seems he has learnt a lot more now about the commercial realities involved at this level. But the end result is he can no longer interview one of the AFL’s head coaches (all left to his partner in crime).

Stop derailing the thread with your petty squabbles - The fact is that as a journalist/presenter Whateley is allowed to express an opinion - If Ross Lyon is as childish as you then there is little one can do.

I am interested to see who will replace Whatley as host of The Offsiders - I am stumped if i can think of a suitable name - Maxwell has always been a poor commentator - He has spent his whole career as a latter day Graham 'Smoky' Dawson.

Kelli Underwood

Stop derailing the thread with your petty squabbles - The fact is that as a journalist/presenter Whateley is allowed to express an opinion - If Ross Lyon is as childish as you then there is little one can do.

Who is derailing a thread? A sanctimonious, self righteous, pompous TV host went on an over the top personal attack on our coach and has now performed a similar move himself.

The thread is for discussing the move and all of the ramifications involved. If one of the ramifications is his hypocrisy is exposed, so be it.

Of course he’s allowed to express an opinion. My only point is that it was ill judged imo. It’s a market place.

And you were the one who bought into the discussion that was happily going on without you.

Who is derailing a thread? A sanctimonious, self righteous, pompous TV host went on an over the top personal attack on our coach and has now performed a similar move himself.

The thread is for discussing the move and all of the ramifications involved. If one of the ramifications is his hypocrisy is exposed, so be it.

You are going too easy on Whateley IMO.

You miss the point - Lyon lead Kelly and StKilda up the garden path by pretending to be interested in StKilda's offer.

Did you expect him to quit the Saints without a job to go to - pretending eh ! He acted in his own best interests, recognised Kellys conflict of interest & sidelined him. Didnt come down in the last shower of rain Ross.

So because Whateley called out Lyon for being duplicitious (both his management company and his current employer thought that he was negotiating in good faith with them when he wasn't because he was actively undermining a fellow coach) that means Whateley can never ever change jobs ever again. Sounds logical :drunk:

So because Whateley called out Lyon for being duplicitious (both his management company and his current employer thought that he was negotiating in good faith with them when he wasn't because he was actively undermining a fellow coach) that means Whateley can never ever change jobs ever again. Sounds logical :drunk:

No. Because Whateley was holier than thou and applied a morality clause to a contract negotiation, he is now held to the same standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that basis, no one could ever change jobs unless the first get the approval of their current Employer
Do you see the problem here?

I don't think that was what was actually said.

The point being made is that Whateley went personal against Lyon and way over the top in personal attacks thus making out that he would never do the exact same thing which ironically is what he may have done.

Whateley as a result is being held to the same standards that HE ALONE held in regards to Ross Lyon and HE ALONE has fallen way short of the same standards that he expects of others.

Therefore Whateley is being judged accordingly and rightfully so too.

I'm not a big fan of Offsiders. With Whateley gone, it will be more watchable, but Richard Hinds will still be there...

I like Kelli Underwood and would be happy with PK too.
On that basis, no one could ever change jobs unless the first get the approval of their current Employer
Do you see the problem here?

I see the problem, but I don't think you do. I had no problem with what Ross Lyon did because with all of the facts in front of you, it made sense. Gerard Whateley went nuclear on him. Totally uncalled for and now he is shown to be a hypocrite.

So let me get this right, posters are just finding out people in the media are duplicitous bastards?
Can I suggest you never read the Herald-Sun, it will do your head in

So let me get this right, posters are just finding out people in the media are duplicitous bastards?
Can I suggest you never read the Herald-Sun, it will do your head in

Self righteous, pious people that preach from their imagined pulpit being duplicitous needs to be called out. I don't read tabloids.

It blows me away that people can't see the difference between a guy who is, for all intents and purposes, just doing a job, and a guy whose job it is to instil a culture of loyalty and honesty among the guys that look up to him and rely on him for his tactics and leadership.

It also blows me away that people can't see the difference between a guy who walked into a vacancy, and a guy who actively had a member of a very small brethren sacked so he could take his job.

No. Because Whateley was holier than thou and applied a morality clause to a contract negotiation, he is now held to the same standards.
And Whateley hasn't done anything remotely like what Lyon did, so I have no idea what you're on about. What Lyon did was duplicitous whether he likes being called that or not.

It blows me away that people can't see the difference between a guy who is, for all intents and purposes, just doing a job, and a guy whose job it is to instil a culture of loyalty and honesty among the guys that look up to him and rely on him for his tactics and leadership.

It also blows me away that people can't see the difference between a guy who walked into a vacancy, and a guy who actively had a member of a very small brethren sacked so he could take his job.

There's a difference between doing a job and being professional about it and playing the man going way beyond what is acceptable. Whateley crossed the line and gets treated with the contempt he deserves as a consequence.

Also, Ross Lyon didn't actively get Mark Harvey sacked. The Freo board headhunted him and when it became clear that Lyon was keen and willing to sign, then the board pulled the trigger and sacked Harvey.

Yes there's a difference between walking into a vacancy and not but guess what, Whateley was still in contract at the ABC I suspect and left for greener pastures (SEN). Ross Lyon was still in contract at St Kilda and left for greener pastures (Freo).

Whatever way you look at it, Whateley is a hypocrite and if you can't see that, well, there's not much hope I'm afraid.

In other news from 2011 (which seems to be the fixation of this thread for some)
-Our Prime Minister was Julia Gillard (for the WHOLE year!!)
-Brisbane flooding (natural disaster, not a football one) in January
-Cyclone Yasi struck Queensland
-Carbon pricing tax introduced
-Of particular interest no doubt to this thread, the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting was held in Perth
-Qantas grounded it's worldwide fleet in response to industrial dispute
-England won the Ashes 3-1
-Cadel Evan won the Tour de France
-Sam Stosur won the US Open
-Dunaden beat Red Cadeaux to win the Melbourne Cup by the narrowest margin ever
-"Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO was the number 1 selling song of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back