Opinion Whateley - pushing shortened quarters?

Quarter length?

• 16 minutes

Votes: 20 5.1%
  • 20 minutes

Votes: 372 94.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The score review just now in Pies Suns game a prime example of why game time is increasing - ffs, have a couple quick looks & if you cant tell, go with the goal umpires call, not this back & forwards BS trying to see something that isnt there.
Goal reviews would be quicker if they invested in better tech. So... unlikely.

I'm not sure how longer quarters cause more injury through fatigue.

A quarter goes for 20 minutes of playing time. Anything above that is time on. So if a quarter went for 30 minutes the players would essentially be playing one minute and then resting for 30 seconds. Surely this reduces fatigue compared to say a quarter that goes for 25 minutes, which is essentially one minute of play and then 15 seconds of rest.

A quarter goes for 20 minutes of playing time. Anything above that is time on. So if a quarter went for 30 minutes the players would essentially be playing one minute and then resting for 30 seconds. Surely this reduces fatigue compared to say a quarter that goes for 25 minutes, which is essentially one minute of play and then 15 seconds of rest.

I don't believe it is about lesser injuries IMO even though the AFL media & coaches will push that as a reason for shorter quarters in helping that cause. It's pretty much all about GREED IMO with players/coaches/media wanting to work less minutes/hours then the general public does and still receive the same yearly salary and paycheck at the end of the year as a result cause you sure damn know that will be the case. We have had at least 20/25+ minute quarters + time on since the inception of the sport and now 160 years later, we want to change the fabric of the sport just to suit a couple of old snowflakes in the sport & media cause they think the game is too long now, like seriously just * off if you think that way seriously :rolleyes:

Goal reviews would be quicker if they invested in better tech. So... unlikely.
Goal reviews would be quicker with the same tech and a quicker process. They waste 10 seconds after they have already made the decision, by advising the umpires that the decision has been made and displaying on the scoreboard, when they could just tell the umpire to signal a point, goal or no score.

Our midfield this year is not actually all that old, but hey yeah, it's a conspiracy to help Geelong on the field :rolleyes:

Well funny thing is you would have won tonight if it was shorter quarters of 16 or 18 minutes + time on, so I mean maybe the conspiracy is true after all and we have all been deceived from the truth all along, in shorter quarters helping Geelong's performance 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney Geelong game went 131. Anyone really going to complain that game went too long (except maybe Geelong supporters would have wanted 2 or 3 minutes less)

Whateley will complain about it, like he does every single f****** episode on AFL360 about how long that match went off, and pushing his fake propaganda of how 18 minutes + time on is the perfect length for quarters in the future :huh:

Whateley was still pushing his barrow this morning, didnt hear it all but someone who was on with him explained in clear, simple terms why game time has increased & Whateley came back with something along the lines of 'there needs to be a good look at why it's happening because we don't want to push the players over the edge'.

Mkay.

Lol, how is players standing around more pushing them over the edge? Do they get bored waiting?

Back in the day before we had lifestyles it was for the love of the game and guernsey. Players held down a full time job, trained after work and played on Saturdays. Every team had their Bomber Clifford who would catch the bus to Alberton with his boots slung over his shoulder. Coaches had sideline businesses like running car yards or a sports store. The diehards would get there early to cheer on the reserves and there were few if any full time media types. And no one complained about the length of the bloody game!! Now we have a corporatised football industry with its tv rights, million dollar players, and its full complement of suits, analysts and associated hangers on. And suddenly the game is too long! Well fu** me sideways and invoke the spirit of Marx - now that love is gone and it’s all money and work, of course everyone is demanding more to do less!
WELL BLOODY SAID !!!!!! 👍🏼

I don't believe it is about lesser injuries IMO even though the AFL media & coaches will push that as a reason for shorter quarters in helping that cause. It's pretty much all about GREED IMO with players/coaches/media wanting to work less minutes/hours then the general public does and still receive the same yearly salary and paycheck at the end of the year as a result cause you sure damn know that will be the case. We have had at least 20/25+ minute quarters + time on since the inception of the sport and now 160 years later, we want to change the fabric of the sport just to suit a couple of old snowflakes in the sport & media cause they think the game is too long now, like seriously just fu** off if you think that way seriously :rolleyes:
The point is, Back in 2011 and 2012 the 16 minute quarters would of helped Gold coast and GWS the most when they regualrly fielded 1st year players.

Point is I didnt mind the 15-16 minute quarters, there wasnt too many 100 point beltings.

By the way.... I am glad you are a South Adelaide fan. So am I and I hope they make the SANFL finals again this season.

But don't they want the players fatigued so the game opens up? That's why they reduced interchange rotations 🤔

Blaming injuries on game length seems such a furphy. Which injuries are they saying are because games are too long? Surely not collision injuries? How many of those injuries would not have occured if each quarter were 3-5 minutes shorter?

It's such a crock the agenda is to shorten games to fit them more easily into TV slots and cram more ads in. All the solutions in this thread would negate any increase in quarter length (reduce time between goals, ball it up quicker, limit score reviews etc)

All just buttering up the public so nobody is surprised when we go to 18 minutes in 2022.

There’s far too much of this talk for this non-problem from the average footy fan’s perspective for it to be anything but a plant topic by those with an agenda to gain from it - broadcasters. Is anyone on the ABC complaining? I haven’t bothered to check, but if there isn’t that’s your smoking gun that this is all about commercial interests.

I understand something like cricket going from a 7.5 to 8 hour day down to three hours with T20 as a way of attracting new and youth audiences, but we are talking a drop of what, 15 minutes from 2 hours 45 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes for an average game elapsed time. That makes no difference to level of appeal for new audiences.

I’m expecting a commensurate 10% drop in player salaries and cost of memberships and ticket prices too...

Well funny thing is you would have won tonight if it was shorter quarters of 16 or 18 minutes + time on, so I mean maybe the conspiracy is true after all and we have all been deceived from the truth all along, in shorter quarters helping Geelong's performance 🤣 🤣 🤣

We would have won if the game went for 25 minutes too.

We best get all the people in the grand conspiracy to help Geelong to pull their finger out.

Goal reviews would be quicker with the same tech and a quicker process. They waste 10 seconds after they have already made the decision, by advising the umpires that the decision has been made and displaying on the scoreboard, when they could just tell the umpire to signal a point, goal or no score.
Yes! The drawn out explanation of a review is totally bizarre and unnecessary. It’s a goal or behind , that’s it , move the * on.

Back